WiFi speeds are redicoulsly slow since 205 upgrade

Oren Tasuna

Hi,

After upgrading to 205 (including factory reset and disabling WiFi mirroring) WiFi speeds have become simply unusable.
I have 1000DL/100UL fiber connection but I get at most ~15mbps DL speed on SpeedTest when testing 0.5m from the router.
QOS and Congestion control are disabled.

I tried setting different channels and frequencies based on WiFi analyzer, nothing helps.
Any suggestions?

Did you perform a reset afterwards using the rear pin method?

2.4ghz is best in 20Mhz width unless you live in an area with not interference, 80Mhz for 5Ghz gives the best throughput but if you have lots of neighbouring interference on the 5 GHz you may have to try the 40 MHz width.

Reset after setting WiFi? did through software (Reboot).

Regarding 5g - it is completely useless since previous builds, most of the time it doesn't even show up when scanning for WiFi network, and when it does show it disconnects after a few minutes. In 205 it doesn't show in scans.

When you installed the new firmware did you do a reset using the rear pin or via the software? 

As you have had an issue with the 5Ghz not showing hopefully Fraser or Liam can pop in and help. To see if the 5Ghz is dropping its best to use a WiFi analyser to see what’s going on. It could be you have a hardware issue sadly.

• Administrators

What I would suggest actually is doing another factory reset through the hardware button as Newfie will advise. Then keep mirroring mode enabled for WiFi but change the channels and widths according to the advice above and see if it is any better.

Did the suggested steps, when using single WiFi network it kept disconnecting or even wasn't discoverable.

Switched back to separate networks, 2.4 is now a little faster but still too slow, 5G is as before - useless, doesn't even appear in scans.

The state of WiFi in this router (which should be its most trivial and stable feature, after all - it is a router) is just poor, and honestly you shouldn't be selling it in this condition.

I really don't know what else to do, and more than that - if there's something that can be done at all.

Mirror settings for 2.4 and 5? also, can you provide some info on why we're testing this workaround? what's the difference between Guest and main, other than not being able to set channel and frequencies in Guest (which I guess means it's automatic)?

• Administrators

Try mirror for guest first and split them if it doesn't perform well. My thought process is that more development will have gone into making the main WiFi work as most will use it, which opens it up to having more bugs. As guest WiFi has less options and likely less dev work has gone into it then that could limit the bug potential.