Does daisy chaining XR300 allow use of Duma features?

I have an AT&T modem/router at home but I want to connect an Xbox to the Nighthawk and use the geo location features. I’ve been told using it as an access point will not allow any DumaOS feature to be used, but if I daisy chained the routers instead would this allow the router to act as normal?

If im understanding you correctly then yes you can do it that way.. If im understanding you by the term daisy chaining.. What one would have to do though is put the R2 Ip address in the DMZ of your AT&T modem/router.. So one doesnt get a double NAT type situation.. Hopefully that helps! That will allow you to have all DumaOS features then like the Geo.. Having your XR300 in AP mode ill not give you access to any DumaOS features..

If this isnt your goal then just ignore the above! lol..

Good luck!

Zippy.

Well in that guide they talk about disabling DHCP.. On which router though im not entirely sure.. To me one would still need DHCP enabled.. But I could be missing something..  Maybe daisy chaining is something totally different.. But I would think one will still run into a double NAT type situation on the second router..

I think what I explained above would give you the same result.. But I will tag @Netduma Fraser for better clarification on this.. Because even now its got me curious.. Your the first ive heard to use this daisy chaining..  It could be a very similar way to go about doing this.. Just two different ways to achieve the same results..

Do you understand that guide one how they want you to set this up?

Thanks! 

Zippy.

• Administrators

What a weird thing to call it, I'd forget about that guide otherwise you may lose access to the interface/devices won't be able to connect to the internet. Much simply, all you need to do is:

AT&T LAN port > DumaOS router WAN/Internet port

Then on the DumaOS router, go through the setup wizard, once you have internet go to the System Information page copy the WAN IP. Then access the AT&T interface and enter the IP into the DMZ function - likely found in Security or Firewall settings.

That's it, you'll be able to get an open NAT when you connect the Xbox to the DumaOS router.

It would be better to have all devices connected to the DumaOS so that QoS can control the entire network but if you're only interested in the Geo-Filter then the above will be fine.

Thank you all for the help! I'll start looking into this. I know you mentioned that its better to have all devices connected to DumaOS but does this method allow devices to be connected to the AT&T modem/router normally as well? I also want to port forward some ports for a game so with this method would I do that on Duma or AT&T?

Edited by Schranker
Added another question

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Schranker said:

Thank you all for the help! I'll start looking into this. I know you mentioned that its better to have all devices connected to DumaOS but does this method allow devices to be connected to the AT&T modem/router normally as well? I also want to port forward some ports for a game so with this method would I do that on Duma or AT&T?

Preferably all devices would be connected to the DumaOS router for QoS to be 100% effective, you can have some devices connected to the AT&T but QoS won't be as effective. With an Open NAT it wouldn't be necessary to forward ports but you would do this on DumaOS.