R2 or XR300

SMTPS

I am looking to purchase either the R2 or the XR300. I was wondering what would be the better purchase. I do not have much knowledge as far as the specs, but from what I have seen and read the XR300 seems to be better hardware wise. I was wondering if it currently has DumaOS 3.0, if not, will it in the future. Not sure what DumaOS 3.0 adds, but is there much difference from what is currently available on the XR300. I know that add blocker does not exist on it, but that is all I know. I am wanting one of these for the purpose of using the geo filter feature and improving my WIFI and possibly using QoS.

Thanks

• Administrators

So the XR300 is more powerful hardware wise than the R2 including the WiFi - it really depends though on what your speeds are as you may not need that. XR300 does not currently have DumaOS 3.0, it will be coming but as a beta to start with before it releases. It does therefore have missing features compared to the R2 which has all our features. The R2 has Ping Heatmap and the updated Geo-Filter which when used together gives you more control over the servers you want to play on.

12 hours ago, Newfie said:

Hi what’s your current router?

I am not sure because I recently upgraded my internet and I am waiting to get the new modem/router, but I think this one is itimage.png.083c6fb848609cc46368e258c999fc64.png

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So the XR300 is more powerful hardware wise than the R2 including the WiFi - it really depends though on what your speeds are as you may not need that. XR300 does not currently have DumaOS 3.0, it will be coming but as a beta to start with before it releases. It does therefore have missing features compared to the R2 which has all our features. The R2 has Ping Heatmap and the updated Geo-Filter which when used together gives you more control over the servers you want to play on.

I just recently upgraded my internet, It can have up to 400 Mbps, usually can go over a little, maybe sometimes up to 500, but the package is 400 download and about 20 upload. So would I be losing anything if I got the R2 as far as WIFI capabilities with the package I currently have? Another thing is availability, I was looking on the netduma site and it says you can currently pre order it and that they will be dispatched in February on first come first serve. With it being nearly February my wait could possibly be months, not sure when I would get it because there isn't really a set date 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, SMTPS said:

I just recently upgraded my internet, It can have up to 400 Mbps, usually can go over a little, maybe sometimes up to 500, but the package is 400 download and about 20 upload. So would I be losing anything if I got the R2 as far as WIFI capabilities with the package I currently have? Another thing is availability, I was looking on the netduma site and it says you can currently pre order it and that they will be dispatched in February on first come first serve. With it being nearly February my wait could possibly be months, not sure when I would get it because there isn't really a set date 

For those speeds and with the current state of the WiFi on the R2 you would be unlikely to see those speeds using the R2 WiFi. You should have no issues with the XR300 though in that regard. It's very unlikely to be months to wait for the R2, as long as we had enough stock to fulfil all the pre-orders then ordering now you may have to wait a few days before it is shipped out.

On 1/27/2021 at 6:14 PM, Newfie said:

What size of property do you have and what’s your needs on the WiFi side ie amount of devices and types of devices?

Thanks for all the input, sorry I have been busy lately. I still have not decided on what I was going to get, but I have a couple questions on the WIFI portion and was going to list the devices that will be used daily on the router.

I measured my house to the best of my ability, it may not be exactly right but I came up with 39ft Length and 28ft width.

The devices that I will be using daily are, two xbox's hooked up through ethernet, and a desktop PC through ethernet. Wireless wise, I will be using a Amazon fire stick that will be streaming all day and night, two iPhones, a samsung, Google Home, two laptops occasionally, and an Ipad.

The speed I am paying for is 400 download 20 upload. It will occasionally go into the 500s for download.

I recently found out that the XR300 did not have MU-MIMO and that the XR500 does. So I am wondering if getting the XR500 is more worth it considering the amount of devices that may be frequently used wirelessly on my network. Also with the WIFI coverage, is the xr500 much better, I am assuming it is, but for my house is it overkill? Like is the xr300 broadcast power plenty considering the size of my house? I just didn't want to dish out the extra 120 that I do not really have if it wasn't really worth it. Also on one article I was reading it said the xr300 could do dual band simultaneous and it didn't state that it could do it for the xr500, I am sure it can but for some reason they left that part out. 

Another reason I was considering the Xr500 is that best buy does not have the xr300 anymore and I was thinking about getting the geek squad four year protection. I am not sure the routers fail rate or how long they last usually, but I would hate to spend 180 dollars and the router fail 6 months down the road, I guess it would boil down to luck.

With the amount of devices that will be used and the size of my house, would you recommend that the xr500 is better or that the xr300 will work just fine? As soon as I seen that it didn't support MU-MIMO I have been hesitant to purchase it. There will be around 12 to 13 devices on my network, 3 of them will be through ethernet.

Thank you

Mu Mimo needs clients to support this and you need at least 2 devices using the WiFi at the same time in a close to medium range. Smallnetbuilder has a few good topics on this. Along with Mu Mimo the router must support beamforming which the XR500 does as it’s a wave 2. To see any benefit from Mu Mimo you need client support and 2 devices running at the same time and that’s the only time Mu Mimo comes into play, it’s not a killer feature as such but marketed as such.

The XR300 I believe does not have the single SSID option known as smart connect.
the XR500 can use uses a single named SSID and the router tries to determine the best channel for the device but it can be hit or miss and there are no settings to tune this in. Some like it while others don’t.

The XR500 is just a better router all round on the hardware side and will give better WiFi performance and coverage. It will easily handle what you have and much more. 

Your next step up is the XR1000 which is the wifi6 gaming router that offers some more added features for WiFi connectivity but most of these are for wifi6 clients.

personally for me I would be looking at the XR500 or XR1000 if WiFi was a concern over the XR300.