Lower Wi-Fi signal strength compared to ASUS RT AC58U

Mohit Sharrma

Hi Team,

I received my new R2 today and instantly noticed that the coverage was much weaker than my old ASUS RT AC58U. I live in a two floor flat and my old ASUS was enough to cover entire two floors of about 1500 SqFt(specially 2.4 Ghz band)..Also, currently, R2 is in my bedroom but i drop 5Ghz in the kitchen which is barely 15m away with 2 walls in between. I expect signal to drop but not drop as much as to disappear from access point search list on phones.

So to test, I set both R2 and ASUS side by side on the same table and measure signal strength with Wi-Fi analyzer for android from 1 meter away. I found that i was getting a 30 dB weaker signal on R2. Images attached.

AP Name for reference

Sharma5 - R2 5GHz

Sharma2 - R2 2.4Ghz

ASUS_90_5G - Asus 5GHz

ASUS_90_2G - Asus 2.4Ghz

Is it possible to increase the radio transmission power in software ??

Because if this is the best R2 can do, I would be very disappointed with the purchase and will cost me much more to buy more APs for the rest of the house.

Screenshot_20210123-200710_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

Screenshot_20210123-200715_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

Screenshot_20210123-200733_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

• Administrators

The Asus is AC1300 compared to the R2 AC1200 so there will be some differences there with WiFi. I would first recommend upgrading to the latest firmware here and then do a factory reset as WiFi should be improved: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/?do=getNewComment

We are continuing to improve upon WiFi as well as it's not where we think it could be. You could put the Asus in AP mode behind the R2 and that will improve the WiFi overall throughout your place.

I would love to connect my ASUS as an extender but I'll have to install a cable run between the two floors which would be a task which I plan to to but not soon.

I will try the new firmware, currently I am on R2 3.0.123, and report back if there are any improvements.

Also, is there a forum post where the meaning of below Geo filtering terms is explained, its a bit confusing to me ?

Server
Player
Blocked Server
Blocked Player
Ping Assist Server
Ping Assist Player
Allowed Server
Allowed Player
Denied Server
Denied Player

Thanks.

• Administrators

If it covered the home from where it was placed previously, connecting to the R2 where that is should cover the home as is. 

No but I'll explain them, I'll describe the ones I think you may need more clarity on, let me know if you need more information.

Ping Assisted icons represent games that have been allowed by your ping assist value e.g. a game that was under your ping limit of 30ms

Allowed/denied refers to servers/players you have specifically added to the allow/deny list by clicking allow or deny on the ping panel - i.e. what you've allowed or denied permanently.

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you do a factory reset once you upgraded?

No not yet, I'll do it once I have some time on my hand, I have a lot of devices with DHCP reservations and its a lot of work to do .

I'll report back once I do it.

Thanks Fraser

• Administrators
On 1/25/2021 at 12:26 PM, Mohit Sharrma said:

Hi Fraser,

I did the reset, now the signal strength is exactly the same as before.

Is there something else that could be done to boost the TX power ?

At the moment on the firmware available no that isn't possible, hopefully in the next version this will be improved for you. If you need more strength then I'd suggest using the Asus as an AP as above.

Thanks Fraser, i did connect the ASUS router in AP mode and works as expected but the Netduma R2 device managee tree doesn't show the ASUS router and the devices connected to it.

Apologies for the poor drawing but it should looks something like below. The Asus router shows the R2 and its devices.

image.thumb.png.76af43e98b8438e9b0bb591ee25ae8f1.png

5 minutes ago, Mohit Sharrma said:

I factory reset and reconfigured the ASUS and the devices didn't show up. But then after 4 hours they magically showed up :)

Question :: If i buy another R2 for my first floor and bridge it up with my current R2 will the tree show both R2s ? 

The R2 can’t run in access point so two R2s will not be a good idea.

• Administrators

As above, it would just show the R2 as a device, it wouldn't show the devices behind it so any QoS settings would apply to the router and devices as a whole. If you don't mind that then you could but the AP would be the better plan.