Nighthawk causing disconnects on modem

Hello, I recently set up the Nighthawk XR500 using my Xfinity modem/router as a bridge (which I set to bridge mode in gateway settings). Everything works as expected. However, while using my Xbox (with QOS and geo-filtering settings enabled) I have been getting disconnected from the internet (not just from the online game, my entire internet goes off, no device can connect). 

I have never had this issue so I am assuming it is due to the new setup. I can tell the issue is triggered because the modem's "online" light either starts blinking or shuts off entirely. When connected normally, the "online" light stays solid. The only way to reconnect after this random disconnect occurs is to power-cycle the modem (unplug it), wait 10 minutes for that to reconnect, then everything works as usual. 

It seems to be an issue when I use my Xbox, I don't get these random disconnects just using the WiFi on any other device. Xbox is connected via ethernet to the Nighthawk. Thanks for any help. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. This could be related to an issue that Netgear are looking into currently. I would recommend taking the gateway out of bridge mode, on the gateway giving the XR a static/reserved IP address and then putting that in the DMZ. It will have the same affect as bridge mode but should keep you connected, could you try that please?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. This could be related to an issue that Netgear are looking into currently. I would recommend taking the gateway out of bridge mode, on the gateway giving the XR a static/reserved IP address and then putting that in the DMZ. It will have the same affect as bridge mode but should keep you connected, could you try that please?

Thanks for your help! I am willing to try that but I'd need a bit more guidance to start. 

I will first take the gateway out of bridge mode. In terms of the next step, you are saying to log onto the gateway (10.0.0.1) and assign the XR a static IP? Where would I get this static/reserved IP address from? 

Second, are you saying to put the XR into the DMZ via the gateway? Or do I need to go into the DumaOS and change my settings there?

If you have any links/resources for these steps that would be incredibly helpful! Thanks again.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, crow_net said:

Thanks for your help! I am willing to try that but I'd need a bit more guidance to start. 

I will first take the gateway out of bridge mode. In terms of the next step, you are saying to log onto the gateway (10.0.0.1) and assign the XR a static IP? Where would I get this static/reserved IP address from? 

Second, are you saying to put the XR into the DMZ via the gateway? Or do I need to go into the DumaOS and change my settings there?

If you have any links/resources for these steps that would be incredibly helpful! Thanks again.

Yes that's correct, you can find the IP the XR has already on the XR interface in the System Information page so just set that same IP as static/reserved on the gateway. That's right, the XR IP into the gateway DMZ please. That would depend on your gateway model, the manual for that should tell you where to find those options.

For setting static/reserved IP that should be in LAN or DHCP settings. DMZ may be in security or firewall settings, potentially LAN Settings also.

Thanks so much for your help, I see you all over this forum and I appreciate it.

The issue hasn't occurred since writing that post, I guess just power-cycling the modem last night seemed to clear up any issue. If it starts happening again I will do as you instructed.

Another unrelated question - would setting my Xbox console to the DMZ make any difference in terms of connection quality and/or latency? I currently use the default UPNP enabled on the router, and my NAT type is open. From the fifaaddiction website (which I saw someone from DumaOS used to be an employee)

"One setting we are certain makes a difference on FIFA is UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), and we had it as advice on this page since FIFA12. The KEY is to switch it OFF. Ironically it is supposed to help devices connect to each other and talk to each other. But for some reason with FIFA it creates issues."

10 hours ago, crow_net said:

Thanks so much for your help, I see you all over this forum and I appreciate it.

The issue hasn't occurred since writing that post, I guess just power-cycling the modem last night seemed to clear up any issue. If it starts happening again I will do as you instructed.

Another unrelated question - would setting my Xbox console to the DMZ make any difference in terms of connection quality and/or latency? I currently use the default UPNP enabled on the router, and my NAT type is open. From the fifaaddiction website (which I saw someone from DumaOS used to be an employee)

"One setting we are certain makes a difference on FIFA is UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), and we had it as advice on this page since FIFA12. The KEY is to switch it OFF. Ironically it is supposed to help devices connect to each other and talk to each other. But for some reason with FIFA it creates issues."

I personally haven't noticed a difference with FIFA, but I guess it could vary person to person. Are you experiencing any issues with it? 

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

I personally haven't noticed a difference with FIFA, but I guess it could vary person to person. Are you experiencing any issues with it? 

When I use speedtest.net I get a ping of around 20 but I'm assuming thats because that test connects to a nearby server in my state. The nearest FIFA server is several states a way from me in DC, so I typically get a ping of around 30. I'd love to lower it if you know any settings I could try with the router, but I also know that FIFA servers/net code are notoriously poor.

2 minutes ago, crow_net said:

When I use speedtest.net I get a ping of around 20 but I'm assuming thats because that test connects to a nearby server in my state. The nearest FIFA server is several states a way from me in DC, so I typically get a ping of around 30. I'd love to lower it if you know any settings I could try with the router, but I also know that FIFA servers/net code are notoriously poor.

How many devices are connected to your XR500? It may be worth setting up QoS to ensure your gaming traffic is treated with priority. This may not necessarily lower your ping, but it will help in prove the overall experience in game.

17 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

How many devices are connected to your XR500? It may be worth setting up QoS to ensure your gaming traffic is treated with priority. This may not necessarily lower your ping, but it will help in prove the overall experience in game.

At least 10 devices, I've set up QOS and it's definitely helped my stability in terms of ping, jitter, and packet loss. I also use a small geo-filter radius so that opponents are a similar distance from the server to be on a level playing field. If that's the most I can do then that's fine. Just wondering if I might be missing anything. 

• Administrators

As you have an Open NAT already then the DMZ is not necessary. If ALL devices are connected to the XR and you've changed those settings then you are setup optimally! As far as I'm aware no ex employees are working for that website either but they do have an affiliate code with us.