WAN port keeps changing link speed to 100m. Router issue or ethernet cable issue?

Starting yesterday I noticed that i was no longer getting my full internet speeds and it was capping out at about 95mbps, compared to the usual 330mbps i get.

Started some troubleshooting and eventually got it back to normal, woke up today and noticed it was back to being stuck at about 95mbps, looked into the router (xr500) a bit more and noticed in device manager and stats in monitoring tab, that link speed was 100mbps on the WAN port, all other ports on the router were 1000mbps

Over the past few hours ive been doing some more troubleshooting and have noticed that restarting the ISP modem/router would set the WAN link speed back to 1000mbps, as well as unplugging the ethernet cable from the wan port in the xr500, aand plugging it into a different port for 30 secs or so and then putting it back in the WAN port would also get link speed back to 1000mbps,however this is where i noticed something off, by watching in the stats section in the monitoring tab i could see that after trying both those steps, for the next 20-30 mins the WAN port would switch to Link down for a few seconds and then back to 1000mbps and also resetting its uptime, it would do this about a dozen times or so before finally switching down to 100mbps link speed where it would then remain stable and not say link down

I also ran a basic pingplotter monitor this whole time and anytime the WAN port went link down, i would lose internet for several seconds until it went back to either 1000mbps or 100mbps link speed.

At this point im really not sure whats causing this, is it the XR500 or possibly my ethernet cable thats connected to my ISP modem/router that then connects to my XR500 somehow being damaged?

XR500 is on latest firmware and all that, also when i do get link speeds back to 1000mbps, my internet speeds go back to normal 330 down and 15 up

Welcome to the forum! Great detail there, thank you!

Trying a new ethernet cable is a quick and easy test, give that a go so we can quickly rule it out!

Could you also please try logging into the ISP router/modem's interface and assign the XR500 a static IP?

11 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum! Great detail there, thank you!

Trying a new ethernet cable is a quick and easy test, give that a go so we can quickly rule it out!

Could you also please try logging into the ISP router/modem's interface and assign the XR500 a static IP?

I have a new cable coming in tomorrow which i will be able to test

And yes the XR500 already has been assigned a static IP address on the ISP router/modem, was one of the first things i did when i got the XR500 and I have double checked to make sure it hasnt changed.

I also checked the uptime for the WAN port again and while the system uptime is 16 hours, the WAN port uptime is 12 hours, so it seems once it renegotiates itself down to 100mbps link speed, it stays stable, but with greatly reduced speeds.

At this point im starting to think maybe its the cable? its a 100ft cat5e cable and it has to go quite a distance from the ISP router/modem, down to the XR500 in my room, its possible that somehow in the last few days the cable got damaged somewhere (i checked and couldnt see any visible damage to it) and thats causing the link speed to change all the time?

• Administrators

Whenever it is something to do with the link speed of ports there are only really ever two causes:

1. The router or ports are faulty
  2. The ethernet cable is faulty
  3. - Rare exception - something in software but not on the XR routers

There are no settings that affect the link speeds so it will be one of those - most likely the cable. 

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Whenever it is something to do with the link speed of ports there are only really ever two causes:

1. The router or ports are faulty
  2. The ethernet cable is faulty
  3. - Rare exception - something in software but not on the XR routers

There are no settings that affect the link speeds so it will be one of those - most likely the cable. 

At this point I've got it down to either the XR500 is faulty (not even 2 years old so i kinda doubt it) or its the cable, new cable should be here any minute now and ill get to test that out

I believe during my initial troubleshooting i plugged the cable into a random port on the XR and it did the same thing, link speed changed down to 100mbs eventually, however the cable i have going from the XR to my switch has been 1000mbps the whole time, so at this point im 99% sure its the cable going from my isp modem/router to my xr500 thats the issue, guess we shall find out later today!

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, FourFingersOfFun said:

At this point I've got it down to either the XR500 is faulty (not even 2 years old so i kinda doubt it) or its the cable, new cable should be here any minute now and ill get to test that out

I believe during my initial troubleshooting i plugged the cable into a random port on the XR and it did the same thing, link speed changed down to 100mbs eventually, however the cable i have going from the XR to my switch has been 1000mbps the whole time, so at this point im 99% sure its the cable going from my isp modem/router to my xr500 thats the issue, guess we shall find out later today!

Lets hope so, do keep us updated!

Got the cable and replaced it through the old run, got super lucky though cause by the time it got to the XR500, there was maybe 3 inches of cable left, but so far the WAN port has been up for 10 mins, whereas before it would usually go down a few times within the first few mins of a reboot and keep resetting the uptime for the WAN port.

If it can make it overnight without resetting then its safe to say its the cable that was the issue and not the XR500 thankfully!

Also a minor suggestion, in the connection benchmark would there be any way you could implement a feature to say ignore the first second of the ping test underload? Quite often when that test starts, my upload ping under load gets a huge spike right at the start and then drops down to normal right after and it throws off the results by a good amount

10 hours ago, FourFingersOfFun said:

Got the cable and replaced it through the old run, got super lucky though cause by the time it got to the XR500, there was maybe 3 inches of cable left, but so far the WAN port has been up for 10 mins, whereas before it would usually go down a few times within the first few mins of a reboot and keep resetting the uptime for the WAN port.

If it can make it overnight without resetting then its safe to say its the cable that was the issue and not the XR500 thankfully!

Also a minor suggestion, in the connection benchmark would there be any way you could implement a feature to say ignore the first second of the ping test underload? Quite often when that test starts, my upload ping under load gets a huge spike right at the start and then drops down to normal right after and it throws off the results by a good amount

OK sweet, let us know!

With regards to the connection benchmark, does changing the Congestion control sliders have any effect on this initial spike?

10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK sweet, let us know!

With regards to the connection benchmark, does changing the Congestion control sliders have any effect on this initial spike?

The issue was with the cable as the WAN uptime hasnt reset at all since I got the new cable yesterday!

No, in fact, using the connection benchmark always gives me full speeds, even if QOS is set to always on, but if I go run the Ookla speedtest, internet speeds follow the rules set in QOS

• Administrators
1 hour ago, FourFingersOfFun said:

The issue was with the cable as the WAN uptime hasnt reset at all since I got the new cable yesterday!

No, in fact, using the connection benchmark always gives me full speeds, even if QOS is set to always on, but if I go run the Ookla speedtest, internet speeds follow the rules set in QOS

Great to hear that! The Speed part of Benchmark doesn't react to QoS by design currently and we'll be improving the results of the tests for the XR routers.