Low speeds on R2

Timaloy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I can also confirm I am having speed issues over WIFI. 

I recently upgraded my Internet to Fiber, 500mb up/down.  When connected using my Mac via 5ghz WIFI, i am only receiving about 200Mb downstream, and around 150upstream via my Netduma R2.  

When I connect the same computer to my WIFI provided by the Internet Provider's router (Home Hub 3000) I receive around 540Mb downstream, and about ~300 upstream.  

There appears to be some performance related issues with the wifi connection.  

I should note also, WIFI is on channel 36 (appears to be alone) and the testing is being done with the equipment no more than 4 feet apart.

Screen_Shot_2021-02-10_at_12_49.44_PM.png

• Administrators
1 hour ago, despised said:

Hello, I can also confirm I am having speed issues over WIFI. 

I recently upgraded my Internet to Fiber, 500mb up/down.  When connected using my Mac via 5ghz WIFI, i am only receiving about 200Mb downstream, and around 150upstream via my Netduma R2.  

When I connect the same computer to my WIFI provided by the Internet Provider's router (Home Hub 3000) I receive around 540Mb downstream, and about ~300 upstream.  

There appears to be some performance related issues with the wifi connection.  

I should note also, WIFI is on channel 36 (appears to be alone) and the testing is being done with the equipment no more than 4 feet apart.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

We are aware there are improvements that need to be made to WiFi and we are working on that. The speeds you're getting currently on the version you're on is actually quite good.

Connection Bell Fibe (500mb/500mb)

- Speed Test from the Router (526/324)1975567915_ScreenShot2021-02-10at3_30_55PM.thumb.png.edbeeb57430f05dc4bfbbca7b8ebbccd.png

- Speed Test from MAC over DumaOS WIFI (179/95)

2030791347_ScreenShot2021-02-10at3_32_03PM.thumb.png.630bcbd86f78c5cbee41052f5497c790.png

- Speed Test from MAC connected to Home Hub 3000 WIFI (537/232)

406886830_ScreenShot2021-02-10at3_35_49PM.thumb.png.469ebeb0d5624c3997d4757c92e9c70f.png

I added the last speed test to prove it's not my laptop (MacBook Pro) that is the source of the slowdown.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They're not too bad considering, other people are getting less. We're working on improving it and should have a new firmware soon that should make it better.

It's definitely not the end of the world, and if you're working on WiFi improvements, there's really not much else to add to the conversation :). I guess my only followup would be when do we expect the firmware that brings these improvements? (Rough estimates are fine)

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, despised said:

It's definitely not the end of the world, and if you're working on WiFi improvements, there's really not much else to add to the conversation :). I guess my only followup would be when do we expect the firmware that brings these improvements? (Rough estimates are fine)

Don't really have an estimate but we've just finished a build today which is ready to be tested so assuming that goes well then not long!

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's good thanks. The speeds you're getting are you testing over ethernet or wireless? Did you enter your speeds into bandwidth settings?

no i didnt enter any in its showing as 335 in duma but 500 odds speedtest, and it was wired

56 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK so if you go to QoS and set the sliders to 100%, what speeds does it say next to the sliders? If completely unconfigured they'll read 1000mbps/1000mbps

yes thats right liam

1 hour ago, Timaloy said:

yes thats right liam

OK, thanks, in future I'd suggest configuring these to be your actual bandwidth speeds, though I don't see why that'd have an affect in this scenario.

Could you run a connection benchmark and a speedtest.net test and provide screenshots of both?

• Administrators

Okay so that is pretty good! Are you sure you have 180 upload? I have Virgin media on the same plan as you and it is 500/37. So your main concern was benchmark not showing the correct speeds? That's fine you can ignore it as we need to improve that, you're getting the correct speeds.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so that is pretty good! Are you sure you have 180 upload? I have Virgin media on the same plan as you and it is 500/37. So your main concern was benchmark not showing the correct speeds? That's fine you can ignore it as we need to improve that, you're getting the correct speeds.

no i sorted after, i put the same settings as speedtest.net , added all devices also benchmarking it still shows lower scores but not on speedtest

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Timaloy said:

no i sorted after, i put the same settings as speedtest.net , added all devices also benchmarking it still shows lower scores but not on speedtest

Okay that's fine, benchmark will show lower for the moment so as long as speedtest reports correctly then it's all good.