Port Forward - Source IP

mfoz11

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, mfoz11 said:

I need the option for a source IP in the port forwarding - the any source is a security risk!

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Not sure what you mean by any source but Incoming/Outgoing is just another name for Source/Destination and works exactly the same way.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Not sure what you mean by any source but Incoming/Outgoing is just another name for Source/Destination and works exactly the same way.

When you set a port forward rule you should be able to set a source IP as well as a port - so if i know who is connecting to me it only allows that IP to connect on that port, not just any external IP.

The rule should look like this

Name
Source IP (enter ip of remote host or have "any")
Destination IP
Incoming Ports
Outgoing Ports
Protocol

• Administrators

I'm not sure how common that is, my ISP router doesn't even have that ability for example. Also very often you won't know the exact source IP that will be trying to connect using those ports but I will add it to our request list. Do you have a usecase for this functionality? 

28 minutes ago, Stephenmd said:

can't you just go into network settings > port forwarding and selecting advanced ? it literally asks for the source ip there @mfoz11.

I dont see advanced in that window or id of clicked it :) Just network settings, port forwarding for me?

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not sure how common that is, my ISP router doesn't even have that ability for example. Also very often you won't know the exact source IP that will be trying to connect using those ports but I will add it to our request list. Do you have a usecase for this functionality? 

Its on most routers and for example FTP connection - you would allow the IP you know connecting to the FTP server so stop random attacks from external source.

You normally have the option to leave blank or * for any source IP, but the option to actually give an ip too is needed.