Need help with a modem solution for net gear xr1000

Hi there, I currently am on a fibre optic broadband plan with Talktalk and I've  recently purchased the netgear xr1000, I'm being told that I need and separate modem for this router to work, can anyone please tell me what modem I need to purchase or should I be connecting the xr1000 to my current internet providers combined modem/router (sagecome I think it is) to get this to work, please as I'm racking my head of this as there is no direct answer over the net that I have found

thanks 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You can connect the XR1000 to your existing TalkTalk modem/router that is absolutely fine and what a majority of people do - myself included. If you need help with getting an open NAT on your device connected to the XR we can help with that.

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can connect the XR1000 to your existing TalkTalk modem/router that is absolutely fine and what a majority of people do - myself included. If you need help with getting an open NAT on your device connected to the XR we can help with that.

okay thanks for that information, it should arrive in a couple days so as soon as its here i'll be right back here for your help lol

again thanks

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

one more question, i have a (sagecom fast5364) modem/router, will it be a smoother experience if i just purchase a (BT Openreach fibre modem) and connect the xr1000 via that way or will this not make any difference in the installation process??

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Dre840 said:

one more question, i have a (sagecom fast5364) modem/router, will it be a smoother experience if i just purchase a (BT Openreach fibre modem) and connect the xr1000 via that way or will this not make any difference in the installation process??

Honestly either should be fine, I'd recommend just sticking with the sagecom for now - all it will be doing is passing traffic onto the router so it doesn't need to do anything special. 

11 hours ago, Dre840 said:

Don't buy the openreach as there are 2 types. 1 for conventional vdsl and the other for g.fast. The g.fast model is available to buy online but at inflated prices as it is a relatively new product. This version will work on vdsl too also but the other version of the modem will not run on g.fast. I am on talktalk g.fast 150. 

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Honestly either should be fine, I'd recommend just sticking with the sagecom for now - all it will be doing is passing traffic onto the router so it doesn't need to do anything special. 

okay so its arrived, the internet icon on the xr1000 remains yellow when i plug this in as its not detecting any internet, ive connected the (sagecom fast5364) router with it through WAN, can you help me please as to where im going wrong, what setting may i need to change in the sagecom router?

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you accessed the interface and gone through the setup wizard? If not you will need to do that first in order to get internet.

yes its saying no internet detected on the xr1000 setup page, doesnt go past that page 

47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you accessed the interface and gone through the setup wizard? If not you will need to do that first in order to get internet.

And is there any evidence of this working on a Talktalk (sagecom fast5363) modem/router, cause if not then I will just go buy a modem 

2A93A74A-8D39-4B8C-AFC4-07FF5683B53D.jpeg

• Administrators

Click yes on that page, if it keeps bringing you back there then say no you want to configure it yourself. Then once you get to the interface go to Settings > Internet Setup and just click apply at the bottom of the page, if it doesn't work the reboot at it will work. It will definitely work with the sagecom

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Click yes on that page, if it keeps bringing you back there then say no you want to configure it yourself. Then once you get to the interface go to Settings > Internet Setup and just click apply at the bottom of the page, if it doesn't work the reboot at it will work. It will definitely work with the sagecom

figured it out now mate, i was putting the Ethernet connection from the xr100 in the single WAN port of the talk talk router when it should of just been put in one of the normal ethernet ports, my mistake

thanks again for the help and quick responses, appreciated