Option 61 (sky fibre )

echo one

okay i later today i will do this when the rabble have gone to bed :) so i need to dmz the r2 from the sky hub and all port forwarding would be done thru the r2 ?

in have  a family member that plays cod aswell so i prefer to be the one with open over moderate so i always port forward my pc. thats why im asking as the sky hub is a dive with forwarding ports.

thanks fraser and i will do this tonight and see if it works man i hope it does without the sky hub its dreadful so really i should move isp if i moved to bt this would be much smoother wouldnt it.  also do you think this may help openwrt-netgear-dm200-bridge/README.md at master · rcannizzaro/openwrt-netgear-dm200-bridge · GitHub if i flashed the modem on the rt n66u opttion 61 and vlan 101 need to be set to connect i see the option 61 but no 101 option on the r2..?

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, echo one said:

okay i later today i will do this when the rabble have gone to bed :) so i need to dmz the r2 from the sky hub and all port forwarding would be done thru the r2 ?

in have  a family member that plays cod aswell so i prefer to be the one with open over moderate so i always port forward my pc. thats why im asking as the sky hub is a dive with forwarding ports.

9 minutes ago, echo one said:

thanks fraser and i will do this tonight and see if it works man i hope it does without the sky hub its dreadful so really i should move isp if i moved to bt this would be much smoother wouldnt it.  also do you think this may help openwrt-netgear-dm200-bridge/README.md at master · rcannizzaro/openwrt-netgear-dm200-bridge · GitHub if i flashed the modem on the rt n66u opttion 61 and vlan 101 need to be set to connect i see the option 61 but no 101 option on the r2..?

Yes that is right, no need to port forward on the R2 immediately as it may not be needed but if you were to port forward it would be done on the R2. That's fair enough!

Certain ISPs are more difficult to use your own products with yes, Sky is probably the most difficult in the UK. I use Virgin for example, not only because they offer the fastest speeds by far out of the major providers but because using their router you can plug any router into it and it works immediately. That could work but it's quite complicated when using the hub with R2 in the DMZ is perfectly fine - it's how I have my ISP router setup. At the end of the day all you need is for the ISP router/modem to pass traffic straight through to the R2, that's what the DMZ does. No option 101 on the R2 but if needed we can look into implementing that.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that is right, no need to port forward on the R2 immediately as it may not be needed but if you were to port forward it would be done on the R2. That's fair enough!

Certain ISPs are more difficult to use your own products with yes, Sky is probably the most difficult in the UK. I use Virgin for example, not only because they offer the fastest speeds by far out of the major providers but because using their router you can plug any router into it and it works immediately. That could work but it's quite complicated when using the hub with R2 in the DMZ is perfectly fine - it's how I have my ISP router setup. At the end of the day all you need is for the ISP router/modem to pass traffic straight through to the R2, that's what the DMZ does. No option 101 on the R2 but if needed we can look into implementing that.

where would dhcp be controlled using this method ? 

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, echo one said:

where would dhcp be controlled using this method ? 

Both the hub and the R2, the R2 would hand out IPs to all the devices connected to it. The hub would hand out the IP to the R2 and any devices you have connected to the hub. It's fine to have them both using DHCP, it should not cause any issues.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, echo one said:

so i would be able to use dhcp on the r2 alone or would i need to set ip reservations on both the hub and the r2 ? them on both sky and the r2 ? 

If you wanted to disable DHCP on the hub which isn't needed then you would first need to set an IP reservation on the hub for the R2. Then you can set IP reservations for your individual devices on the R2 if you want to.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You may need to port forward on the R2 but shouldn't be necessary as UPnP should open the NAT for you. No port forwarding required on the Sky hub when using the DMZ.

Yes absolutely you could use both those features with this setup, would recommend connecting all devices to the R2 for maximum effect. That's certainly possible, as it probably needs access to the internet to determine the correct time so that could work. 

Okay Fraser got it working thru the hub still doesn’t work With just the modem but I have it running going to try to configure qos and gel filter tomorrow Thank you for helping me @Netduma Fraser

• Administrators
7 hours ago, echo one said:

Okay Fraser got it working thru the hub still doesn’t work With just the modem but I have it running going to try to configure qos and gel filter tomorrow Thank you for helping me @Netduma Fraser

Okay no worries, we've still got the ticket open from the other person who had issues so we will continue to look into it. Most important thing is you're up and running with the router through the hub. Great, any questions let us know. You're very welcome, thanks for your patience!