Jump to content

VPN XR1000


Recommended Posts

So my old router I could setup so anything that connected to the router was using my Express vpn account. How do I accomplish that on this router? I read somewhere it is called hybrid vpn. essentially i want to be able to use my vpn but at the same time use geo filtering. right now if I use the vpn desktop app the geofilter does not work on that connection? How can I Accomplish this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

It might be hard for the Geo-Filter to work as you're creating a tunnel to the VPN server and then going to the game server, then back and back through the tunnel so it may be hard for the Geo-Filter to distinguish the game traffic as it usually does. If it was to work then you would need to use the ExpressVPN OpenVPN configuration files and add them to the router, then add the devices you want to be covered by it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Ahh I don't think that feature is available on the XR1000 currently so you won't be able to use it unfortunately. So as you've tried it on the PC it may not work but just in case do this:

  • Quite the game/client completely - exit from System Tray also
  • Apply VPN to PC
  • Go to Device Manager and give PC the PlayStation device type
  • Go to the Geo-Filter, add your PC and select the manual option
  • Flush the cloud
  • Change your settings
  • Wait 2 minutes then boot up the game

Does it work then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you note, the VPN option isn't available on the XR1000 right now as far as I can tell.

Is there a plan to get that added in the near term roadmap? That is a very attractive feature of the other netduma routers, and something I had hoped to be able to do here. With an option for using it for a specific device / devices and not the whole network as well, ideally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
47 minutes ago, Taha said:

As you note, the VPN option isn't available on the XR1000 right now as far as I can tell.

Is there a plan to get that added in the near term roadmap? That is a very attractive feature of the other netduma routers, and something I had hoped to be able to do here. With an option for using it for a specific device / devices and not the whole network as well, ideally.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That is something that is up to Netgear, I'm sure that it is something that will come in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it on any of the other Netgear Netduma routers?

Asking because it isn't a feature I have seen on other netgear routers, and afraid maybe they don't want to put the effort into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, Taha said:

Is it on any of the other Netgear Netduma routers?

Asking because it isn't a feature I have seen on other netgear routers, and afraid maybe they don't want to put the effort into it.

It's a feature specific to DumaOS - off the top of my head it is present on the XR500 & XR700. Once the Rapp store is available on DumaOS I should think any features not present on a router should become available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rapp store has been promised for a while, but I haven't seen any expected ETA information, or really any updated information for that at all. I hope it is coming soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
11 hours ago, Taha said:

The Rapp store has been promised for a while, but I haven't seen any expected ETA information, or really any updated information for that at all. I hope it is coming soon.

Our first focus is getting DumaOS 3.0 stable on all the routers, then we can look into starting the Rapp store properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi there. As of yesterday I just got gigabit internet installed into my house. I am wondering if I could get more out of the service if I had the XR1000 instead of the XR300. Not really sure what the actual differences are between the XR routers aside from the cost and the way they look. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Marcus said:

Hi there. As of yesterday I just got gigabit internet installed into my house. I am wondering if I could get more out of the service if I had the XR1000 instead of the XR300. Not really sure what the actual differences are between the XR routers aside from the cost and the way they look. Thanks.

In terms of throughput, the XR300 can handle Gigabit absolutely fine! However the XR1000 has better and more powerful hardware as well as Wi-Fi 6!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...