A few questions before I buy Netduma R2...

K0NSPIRACY

Just did the "test network speed and statistics" on Xbox One X, and I'm getting 154ms latency which is usually around 22ms. Is this something to be concerned about now? Before I had the R2, I would usually reboot the Vodafone router to try to resolve this...is this likely to be anything to do with the QoS?

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I've just had a quick look at the QoS and unfortunately this doesn't make sense to me as the variables are different so not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be mirroring or what I need to do to mirror the values? The variables per test are as follows:

• Speed test: download/upload/netflix speed
  • Ping test: average ping/jitter/packet loss
  • Ping test (under load): download/upload/idle

Could you please confirm what values should be mirrored in which tests and how this is achieved.

Also, do I need to then further change the bandwidth allocation for gaming? As per my question above, why would anyone recommend dropping that to 1.08...would that be to try to get lag compensation working in their favour or something?

23 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Just did the "test network speed and statistics" on Xbox One X, and I'm getting 154ms latency which is usually around 22ms. Is this something to be concerned about now? Before I had the R2, I would usually reboot the Vodafone router to try to resolve this...is this likely to be anything to do with the QoS?

You want to get the download/upload ping value of Ping Under Load closest to the average ping value of the Ping test as close as possible. On Congestion Control, select Always, start with a percentage, then do a benchmark test, then change percentage again and do benchmark again. Rinse repeat until you've found a percentage that lowers Ping Under Load the most. You don't need to adjust Bandwidth Allocation, I usually recommend leaving it as its default. A lot of people experiment with settings so that's likely something that works for them. I don't believe they would receive lag compensation as the device would still be getting more bandwidth than it actually needs.

It's likely the Geo-Filter blocking the server it is testing, that value is quite misleading as it's just the ping to the Xbox Live server to basically verify you're online and have a paid subscription. It has no bearing on what your game ping will be at all so you can ignore that.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You want to get the download/upload ping value of Ping Under Load closest to the average ping value of the Ping test as close as possible. On Congestion Control, select Always, start with a percentage, then do a benchmark test, then change percentage again and do benchmark again. Rinse repeat until you've found a percentage that lowers Ping Under Load the most. You don't need to adjust Bandwidth Allocation, I usually recommend leaving it as its default. A lot of people experiment with settings so that's likely something that works for them. I don't believe they would receive lag compensation as the device would still be getting more bandwidth than it actually needs.

It's likely the Geo-Filter blocking the server it is testing, that value is quite misleading as it's just the ping to the Xbox Live server to basically verify you're online and have a paid subscription. It has no bearing on what your game ping will be at all so you can ignore that.

Thanks Fraser. I'll continue to test with the QoS to find out what works best, but I'm not sure if its hit and miss with my connection at the moment so will just play around with it. I think you were right about the Geo-Filter causing the high XBL latency test result...I tested with a ping assist of 30-50ms and the latency dropped back down straight away to what I usually see at 22ms so that's reassuring.

I'm a bit confused with the servers I'm connecting to whilst playing Warzone...apparently I'm connecting to both "dedicated" and "peer" servers, but surely they wouldn't have P2P servers for Warzone? Are these just named or flagged incorrectly, and does it matter? How do I find out where these are located? 

A few examples...

Host type: Dedicated
ID: c72d844fca663a3f
Domain name: 45.63.102.79.vultr.com

Host type: Peer
ID: f705915ca2963a3f
Domain name: 053f965c.setaptr.net

ID: b4d4cb967153494e
Domain name: vi-ads-1339.ads.vi.net

ID: 2d5fdea9fcccaeb3
Domain name: 95-179-204-169.choopa.net

ID: 0a689b6605a9e9ee
Domain name: 104-238-169-102.choopa.net

ID: 01d4531e71a04f54
Domain name: Unnamed

ID: 464e6631ebe57c81

ID: 9718f5c0b5366469

ID: 2e5f5d28fccdaeb3
Domain name: 95-179-205-40.choopa.net

ID: b4d4f8c37153494e

• Administrators

It is mostly a dedicated server game from what I've seen so whenever you see peer it is almost certainly a server - for example the second to last one, the domain has choopa in the name which is a known server. They're misclassified on the map but we can resolve them, realistically this won't impact your game negatively, it is more aesthetic. You can use Ping Heatmap to get a good idea of where the game servers are located and then you can adjust the Geo-Filter accordingly as needed.

54 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It is mostly a dedicated server game from what I've seen so whenever you see peer it is almost certainly a server - for example the second to last one, the domain has choopa in the name which is a known server. They're misclassified on the map but we can resolve them, realistically this won't impact your game negatively, it is more aesthetic. You can use Ping Heatmap to get a good idea of where the game servers are located and then you can adjust the Geo-Filter accordingly as needed.

Ok thanks. I did a few checks and I noticed the second one (053f965c.setaptr.net) is in California or Utah...I have no idea how I would connect to that with Geo-Filter set to 175 mile radius of my UK location?

On 12/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hi Fraser. I did some tests last night with QoS and brought the sliders down to about 50%. It was only when I was doing some speed tests on my iPhone (not whilst gaming) and getting slow results that I realised that the QoS restrictions was actually why I was getting the slow results (approx 50% of download and upload speed as per the 50% on the sliders). This brings me on to my question...

My other non-gaming devices (Sky tv, Apple tv, Nest, iPhone, MacBook) are usually just powered on and not using up bandwidth, so do I really need to use QoS if no other devices are being used whilst gaming? I can understand the benefits in a home with multiple people using multiple devices using up bandwidth, but in my situation I'm not sure what benefit QoS would provide if no other devices are being used? 

• Administrators

That's a good question and point, if you're not gaming and not many other devices are being used at the time then you can probably do without it - devices do have background updates every so often which could cause lag but assuming that isn't the case you could leave it off. When gaming though, even these background updates or devices just periodically sending/receiving data could cause a spike. I'd suggest for your situation to use Auto-Enable for Congestion Control. That will ensure your speeds/connection will only be limited when gaming and if you're not then you'll receive full speeds.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's a good question and point, if you're not gaming and not many other devices are being used at the time then you can probably do without it - devices do have background updates every so often which could cause lag but assuming that isn't the case you could leave it off. When gaming though, even these background updates or devices just periodically sending/receiving data could cause a spike. I'd suggest for your situation to use Auto-Enable for Congestion Control. That will ensure your speeds/connection will only be limited when gaming and if you're not then you'll receive full speeds.

Makes sense. Thanks Fraser...and happy New Year! 😊