Need some Help

thedeveloper

I just got my netduma r2 and when it set it up everything works and also I got a WAN IP ( few hours pass by ) I need to switch my IP so I try to mac clone but when I go to the mac clone option it was empty when I checked it so I tried puting the same mac from what is listed on my router and change the last letters from AC to AA and saved it. I then rebooted my Xfinity Modem and rebooted the r2 and waited a few minutes for both to start back up and I still have the same IP???

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Changing the MAC address won't always change your IP address and even if it does it will only be slightly. If you're on a dynamic IP from the ISP then if you turn off the modem for 5 minutes then you should get a new one. Otherwise using a VPN may be better for you.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Changing the MAC address won't always change your IP address and even if it does it will only be slightly. If you're on a dynamic IP from the ISP then if you turn off the modem for 5 minutes then you should get a new one. Otherwise using a VPN may be better for you.

I have tried turing off my modem for 30 minutes and turned it back on and my IP address is still the same?? I contacted Xfinity they noted that my IP address is dynamic and all basic customers have dynamic IP addresses? I have had the same IP for almost a year now also In my senior a VPN wont work on what I am trying to do as it Detects it! I checked xfinity forms and everyone kept telling me to just clone my Mac address and change it up and this will assign me a new Wan IP but I tried as I stated before and nothing happened..? Also why was the MAC CLone Box empty after and before I enabled it? I am lost here Please help

• Administrators

If you've been on the exact same IP address for a whole year then that doesn't sound dynamic to me. Presumably the Xfinity is a hub which means the router still needs to pass data through it so if it was to work you'd have to do it on the hub.

18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you've been on the exact same IP address for a whole year then that doesn't sound dynamic to me. Presumably the Xfinity is a hub which means the router still needs to pass data through it so if it was to work you'd have to do it on the hub.

The thing that confuses me more is that when I plugged in the new R2 I got a new IP ( not the same as my modem/router one ) but the question is how do I change that NEW R2 Ip now?

• Administrators
14 hours ago, thedeveloper said:

The thing that confuses me more is that when I plugged in the new R2 I got a new IP ( not the same as my modem/router one ) but the question is how do I change that NEW R2 Ip now?

You got a new public IP or a new local IP starting 192 etc? 

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That doesn't really make sense to me to be honest, unplug the R2 for 10 minutes then and see if it changes after you've connected to it.

tried this and nothing happened? can you help me fix the mac clone part so I can get new ip?

• Administrators

I can't really advise you on 100% being able to reproduce changing your IP every time as it's not guaranteed because changing the MAC address doesn't always work. Your ISP probably has a long lease on the assigned IP before it renews and you get another. If you turn the modem off for an hour it may get reassigned. 

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I can't really advise you on 100% being able to reproduce changing your IP every time as it's not guaranteed because changing the MAC address doesn't always work. Your ISP probably has a long lease on the assigned IP before it renews and you get another. If you turn the modem off for an hour it may get reassigned. 

Why do they make it this hard wtf?

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What internet provider has dynamic easy changing IPS because xfinity team is just stupid.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, thedeveloper said:

Why do they make it this hard wtf?

38 minutes ago, thedeveloper said:

What internet provider has dynamic easy changing IPS because xfinity team is just stupid.

Probably because IPv4 addresses are running out. I couldn't say, I don't think any ISP advertises that.

Because my cousin that lives 2 blocks away he just closes and opens his modem/router box and gets a new one kind of bullshit how easy it is for him and I’m here spending 20 hours trying everything. Main reason why I bought this router was for this reason but I love it anyways