Logs not showing websites visited

I have an XR1000 running version 1.0.0.50_1.0.36 which I believe is the latest. When I visit settings -> monitoring -> logs, I just get a bunch of what I assume to be false positive DDoS attack warnings, device IP assignments,. and admin logon entries but no website connections even though "Attempted access to allowed sites" is enabled. Is this by design?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Are you able to provide any examples of these log entries? Often we will see logs entries that sound sinister, but are actually just harmless system messages. 

Are you experiencing any issues currently or is it just the log entries?

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, havokeachday said:

I have an XR1000 running version 1.0.0.50_1.0.36 which I believe is the latest. When I visit settings -> monitoring -> logs, I just get a bunch of what I assume to be false positive DDoS attack warnings, device IP assignments,. and admin logon entries but no website connections even though "Attempted access to allowed sites" is enabled. Is this by design?

System logs dont show websites visited and never have. :)

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

As above, logs won't show websites visited. The DoS entries are a known false reading across Netgear routers - they do actually show IPs you've come in contact with sometimes such as Facebook etc.

What does "Attempted access to allowed sites" mean then?

It seems like if the router has enough information to determine my network is being used for web, media, social media, etc, that it should at least be able to show DNS lookups in the router log. I understand that with  SSL you're not going to get a URL, but you should have an IP address and matching DNS response (at some point).

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, havokeachday said:

What does "Attempted access to allowed sites" mean then?

It seems like if the router has enough information to determine my network is being used for web, media, social media, etc, that it should at least be able to show DNS lookups in the router log. I understand that with  SSL you're not going to get a URL, but you should have an IP address and matching DNS response (at some point).

Have you made any rules in Traffic Controller or in the Netgear settings for blocked/allowed sites.

It certainly could but that isn't the function of the log file, it is to provide additional information to the developers should an issue arise that needs further investigation. We can certainly add that to our ideas list and look at implementing in the future.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, havokeachday said:

I have rules to just block devices at certain hours, but not to allow/disallow specific sites. When I went to add a rule for that, it looked like I could only allow categories such as social media, etc.

It's likely in response to the block rules you made, yes that's right applications, categories or a port range currently.