Can't Tell if Newly Added Ad Block list was successful

Jermsz

So I can't tell if the Energized ad blocker I've added is working or not. I still have the default list enabled, but I tried adding a txt file of the domain list and a file and I'm not seeing anything in the live timeline of queries of it being active.

It's the unified list that I'm using found here: https://energized.pro/

Can I get some assistance on how to properly add an ad blocker and see it show up in the time line? I've been having issues with this for some time.

I'm on an R2 on the most recent firmware. 3.179

I attempted to use these lists here one after another when I saw they weren't on the timeline:

https://block.energized.pro/unified/formats/hosts.txt

https://block.energized.pro/unified/formats/domains.txt

https://block.energized.pro/unified/formats/hosts

Are any of these formats correct? And do I need to use them with "Online List" selected or "Domains". I have also attempted to use "File" as well.

• Administrators

Thanks for that, the formats are correct. The issue with those however is their size, they're too big. I attempted to put them in and caused Adblocker to crash and needed to reboot. I have asked the team what the limit is before but I will chase them for the answer. Instead of Unified try Ultimate and see if that works.

Will do. Thank you for that. Does it matter if I use the host text file compared to the domain text file? Does it make a difference? Yeah mine would crash as well. The only time it doesn't crash is when I upload a file. But that's only occasionally. 

Got it. I've noticed my network becomes super unstable when updating the filter add well. I can't even load 1080p videos when my check is 200mbps down with qos set to 70. I've just uploaded the basic file on that site to see if it'll work. And just to make sure. I have to disable the ad block, tracking, and malware that's already in the router right? I just want to confirm. 

Update:

Definitely doesn't appear to be working. Even with the smaller file sizes doesn't show up in the timeline and doesn't fully pass the ad blocker tests I've run on the internet, any recommendation?

• Administrators

It's likely after the crash that it won't work correctly properly until a factory reset is done so I'd recommend doing that, then trying with a small file. Regarding video you may need to add the site you're watching on to the Adblocker Whitelist.

Update:

After using the the list you gave me, I am seeing it in the timeline blocking ads without a factory reset. It also loaded right up with ad blocker crashing and messing up my network. So it seems the list from energized.pro are just too large. I will continue to experiment with their smallest list and see how that works for me. Is there an update on the sizing requirements for adding domain lists? Or can I request that the limit be increased to at lest 20MB if possible?

Thanks for all the support by the way.

Thanks, I appreciate that. 

Have anyone ever reported losing internet access on certain devices when any ad blocker is enabled through the router? In testing with the list you gave me on and the tracking and malware boxes ticked on I noticed my wifi on my one plus 7 pro went from having full access to limited access. Once tracking was disabled and I restarted the phone all was well. 

Sorry for having so many responses by the way. I just want to know how everything works and if it's me or actual issues. 

• Administrators

Don't be sorry about asking questions, that's what I'm here for!

Specifically due to Adblocker no I don't think so. If you disable that list specifically does it continue? Is it specifically on just that device or does it affect others as well? 

I believe that is the case. I do have other android devices in the house but I did not check to see if the connectivity changed. I've got it disabled for now. Once I know the limit I'll test out different lists. Do you know how large the list you sent me was? 

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Jermsz said:

I believe that is the case. I do have other android devices in the house but I did not check to see if the connectivity changed. I've got it disabled for now. Once I know the limit I'll test out different lists. Do you know how large the list you sent me was? 

That one is 1.5Mb so very small compared, will let you know the limit as soon as I can.