Slow WIFI Speeds. NetDuma R2

Zach Green

Hi, 

I just received my netduma R2 but I am getting really slow wifi speeds. When I do a speed test over wifi I am getting around 100mbps at best.

image.thumb.png.b41c3499311aef2499c12c8d80aafbb6.png

These are my current settings:

image.thumb.png.5506692de904c4db54003b260a5479d1.png

So it says I am on the 5.20GHz band. 

When I connect with a hard wire I get 1ms ping, 450mbps download and 700mbps upload. 

I've updated the firmware. Is it possible that the QoS is limiting the speed/bandwidth?  Does the QoS only impact wifi connections? Why does my hardwired computer not get limited while the laptops over WIFI do?

image.thumb.png.8891759b9f94e067c44a4ae06ce39a24.pngimage.thumb.png.5506692de904c4db54003b260a5479d1.png

Lastly, when using wifi on an iphone, if we click on an ad or article link to an external site like BlogTO or TMZ it loads half way and then just stops. The wife doesn't like this so needs to get fixed ASAP ;). Is this maybe the ad blocker?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Zach

As a backdrop, I have fiber to the modem. Would having a CAT6 cable from the modem to the router improve ping if it's a 5 foot run or is the CAT5e fine? I'm running cat5e from the modem to the router and then cat6 hard wired from the router to the xbox. 

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

It could be QoS but unlikely, disable it completely from the Congestion Control 3 line option menu in the top left of the panel just to make sure. Disable Mirror mode and give 2.4/5GHz different names and connect manually to 5GHz. Experiment with the channels and widths to see what gives you the best speeds. 

Yes that will be the Adblocker, you can add those sites to the Whitelist and then they will work. Cat5e will be fine.

Thanks, that seems to have helped (I'm now getting 200mbps DL and UL). What do the channels and widths represent? Is it completely random what would work best, so I should just work through the entire list?

I turned off the ad blocker and that resolved the website load. I might look to go back and just add those sites to the whitelist at a later time. Is there any general advantage to the ad blocker being on?

Widths, to keep it simple without too much nerdy stuff, your 2.4 and 5Ghz channels are made up of separate channels. What happens with widths is called channel bonding,  40mhz has more channels bonded than 20Mhz  and 80Mhz has more bondeds channel than both 40Mhz and 20Mhz. The higher number of bonded channels the more throughput. 
with more bonded channels comes the risk of interference from other neighbouring Wi-Fi devices. So 2.4Hgz is often well populated unless you have very few neighbours and since it only has a few channels to select often there is interference and if you use a 40Mhz channel as it uses more bonded channels it can increase the risk of interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi and also you causing interference to your neighbours. This results in poor performance.

5 GHz on the other hand does not have the coverage so normally you don’t get so much interference and many routers also offer DFS but that’s another story but with 5Ghz you can use 20, 40, 80 and even 160Mhz but note 160Mhz is not recommended due to the lack of supported devices.