PS5 psn party chat connection interrupted - Call of Duty Cold war XR500

StArFiGhTeR_TeN

Hi all,

I need help. To start off: All my ports on my ISP modem are open (contacted my ISP). When I plug in the PS5 to the modem directly I have open NAT (Nat Type 1) on PS5. PSN party chat works as long as PS5 is directly connected to ISP modem.

Problem when I use XR500 as router, plugged in into my ISP modem: PS5 party chat keeps disconnecting due to network connection problems and/or Nat type restrictions.

When I plug in the XR500 into the modem - and open all the ports manually to have Nat Type 2 (open Nat in COD cold war) - or use DMZ server for PS5 IP - I get disconnected from party chat in between 1 to 10 minutes.

So I used UPNP to see what ports might be blocked/used and I saw that port UDP 3074 seems to be routed to another free UDP port (since I have 3074 in my port forward section for the PS5). I disabled/uplugged all other devices but the PS5. Disabled all WLAN functions. Disabled QOS. Disabled traffic priorisation. Nothing helps. I tried connection the PS5 via WLAN and LAN cat7 cable.

Again: It seems to work when I plug in the PS5 directly to the modem of the ISP, but I need to plug in the XR500 there (and I need/want the options of the NetdumaOS).

Firmware is 2.3.2.66

XR500 Nighthawk

All the ports I opened manually, since DMZ did not help are listed in the screenshot attached.

Please help me.

I will reinstall the PS5 now completely from scratch. If anyone of the Netduma might be able to help would be great. I would also open a remote connection to go into detail if needed. I spent days to find the problem but I am not able to. Thought I know what is going with the tec stuff, but here I am.

Regards.

StaR224748079_Bildschirmfoto2020-11-20um15_57_00.thumb.png.6e032c7cf64bd4eaeedc29a9bc179be7.png

Hi Fraser. Thank you for quick reply. GeoFence is completely disabled. Also re-installed the PS5 to factory settings. Opened the party with the fresh PS5 on PSN and got disconnected within 2 minutes again.

PS4 party chat works and I used the same settings in the router. Well PS4 did not work with party chat when I tried WLAN (even with good network) but I use cable all the time anyway.

I need a wizard now. HELP ME FRASER 🙂 please

edit: my game connection and downloads and everything works fine. It is just the PSN chat party thing that keeps disconnecting. My friend told me: everytime I got disconnected from party chat he sees the icon that I am online again - but I am still in the game and also streaming live on PS5 directly without interruption (just as an example to see if I am actually without a connection for a second or what...).

10 minutes ago, StArFiGhTeR_TeN said:

there is a setting in PS5 to use server only for party chat, maybe this will help you. I tried both settings when creating a new party chat and did not help. settings available on PS5 (auto/server only)

Yea I tried both settings did nothing for me, hopefully can get help 

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the information, could you please disable QoS completely from the Congestion Control 3 line option menu and see if that helps? It might be dropping connections unnecessarily. 

Disabled it again (tried that earlier without success in the same menu) and the party chat PSN lasts for 60 minutes now and is still running. In PS5 menu I have party setting to auto (instead of server only) but this setting had no impact earlier. Just for others that might have the same problem.

It is random, so I will keep you updated about the progress of this setting disabled QoS. FYI: Tried to disable Goodput as well earlier with no result or impact as expected, right? 🙂 

For the UPNP UDP 3074 (for PS5 IP as well) it seems to route it / activate it when cod Cold war is active / start up. Even when I disable voice chat of cold war in game completely.

Btw I still have all other devices disconnected and only use PS5, Mac and iPhone to minimize impact from other devices.

I recently changed the traffic priorisation as well to see if that will help (see second screenshot).

So to sum it up: It runs for 60 Minutes now with 2 settings changed: 1) disabled QoS completely (screenshot 1) and added traffic prio (screenshot 2). I will give an update later, just wanted to let you know. I had it before that it lasted an hour or longer so right now I can not really tell if it helped or not.

Thank you so far. Happy weekend!

Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-20_um_17_52_39.png

Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-20_um_18_43_08.png

• Administrators
1 hour ago, StArFiGhTeR_TeN said:

Somehow UPNP opens up UDP 3074 even it is already open for PS5

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-20 um 17.48.55.png

As it is enabled it will attempt to do the same which could cause conflicts so try disabling that. Great to hear that, thanks for the feedback. Goodput is just to have a more accurate reading on web speed tests. Keep us posted!

Disconnected again!!! Oh nooooo.

Ok I will disable UPnP, I just used it as a tool to see what ports might be needed by games and voice chats. But since I opened all ports now there is no need to have it on. Also got disconnected with DMZ on my PS5.

Any Ideas now? 

12 minutes ago, KGoogle said:

I turned off my R2 completely and was just using my isp router and it worked for like half hour then kicked me from party so maybe it’s not these routers maybe it’s on Sony’s server end ? 

I even had a call with my Internet Service Provider to make sure all ports are open on the modem itself (without Netduma Router). Well since it is still random how long it lasts it might be as well Sony PSN problem. I plugged in the XR500 after 1,5 hours of voice chat with modem of ISP only. So for now I will try QoS off and UPnP off, and traffic prio is off anyway it seems because of QoS disabled. Still hoping for a solution.

23 minutes ago, StArFiGhTeR_TeN said:

I even had a call with my Internet Service Provider to make sure all ports are open on the modem itself (without Netduma Router). Well since it is still random how long it lasts it might be as well Sony PSN problem. I plugged in the XR500 after 1,5 hours of voice chat with modem of ISP only. So for now I will try QoS off and UPnP off, and traffic prio is off anyway it seems because of QoS disabled. Still hoping for a solution.

Let me know how you get on and if we find a solution 

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It could be PS5/Server issues, it's still very new so I imagine there will be some teething issues. In WAN Settings set NAT to Open, that will relax the firewall a little and hopefully help. 

Quick question if I’m using my R2 should I disable UPnP on my isp modem ? 

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It could be PS5/Server issues, it's still very new so I imagine there will be some teething issues. In WAN Settings set NAT to Open, that will relax the firewall a little and hopefully help. 

thank you Fraser for the quick response. I will keep you guys updated

• Administrators
1 hour ago, KGoogle said:

Quick question if I’m using my R2 should I disable UPnP on my isp modem ? 

If you have an open NAT as it is then no need to do that, especially if you have other devices still connected to it. If you don't then yes you can disable it.

Ok guys I tested it yesterday WITHOUT a single disconnect on PS5 psn party chat = QoS completely disabled. As soon as I turn QoS on I get disconnected from party in 1 Minute. Tried this 10 times. This is a serious problem because my XR500 with NetdumaOS is completely useless now with PS5. No Problem with PS4 and the same settings btw. (as long as I use wired connection with PS4, using Wireless 2 ghz same issue).

Can I support you Fraser with a log or something to help solve this issue? Just let me know what I can do. Thank you.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, StArFiGhTeR_TeN said:

Ok guys I tested it yesterday WITHOUT a single disconnect on PS5 psn party chat = QoS completely disabled. As soon as I turn QoS on I get disconnected from party in 1 Minute. Tried this 10 times. This is a serious problem because my XR500 with NetdumaOS is completely useless now with PS5. No Problem with PS4 and the same settings btw. (as long as I use wired connection with PS4, using Wireless 2 ghz same issue).

Can I support you Fraser with a log or something to help solve this issue? Just let me know what I can do. Thank you.

Okay that's a good start thank you. Lets see if we can narrow it down. Enable QoS again but completely disable Traffic Prioritization - does it still work?

disconnect from PSN party with PS5 with or without Traffic priorisation (on/off) as soon as QoS is enabled. All custom rules deleted. no red light for traffic prio.

also tried anti bufferbloat off - disconnect, no impact at all

It seems to last a few minutes longer when traffic prio is off, but that might also be random you know...