New to the R2 can someone help?

Braidster

Hello, just installed this router yesterday and did some minor tweeks using a YT vid.  I'll admit it was a little overwhelming compared to the Asus 68u it replaced.  

Using the Asus I would get an Open Nat type when playing Warzone, and moderate/open (varied) on PS4.  Anticipating the Cold War launch (playing multiplayer on console, and warzone on PC) I decided to switch to the Netduma R2 as my console Nat type was showing moderate.  I set it up and put the ps4 in a dmz and it worked like a charm open nat.  When I went to play on PC it was now moderate, and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it open.  

Other things I've noticed is the Wifi was horrible even in a small apartment with single device use.  My firestick has already disconnected numerous times, and my cell taking forever to load webpages.  

Hoping someone can assist me with getting this setup properly.  I'd really like to take advantage of the benifits it's meant to provide.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I would first recommend upgrading to the latest firmware .179 if you haven't already and then doing a factory reset: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/

By putting one device in the DMZ other devices won't get an open NAT. What is your exact physical setup?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I would first recommend upgrading to the latest firmware .179 if you haven't already and then doing a factory reset: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/

By putting one device in the DMZ other devices won't get an open NAT. What is your exact physical setup?

Exact physical setup?  Sorry I'm overtired and this just isnt clicking atm.  I'll do the updafe and see how that goes.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As in what is the R2 connected to e.g. ISP Virgin Superhub 3 modem/router and where are devices connected to etc. Okay keep us posted.

Ahhh sorry I've had two long nights of Cold War mixed with drinks, and I'm in western Canada where it's only 9am.

The ISP is a local city owned provider which is a 250/20 cable connection.  I have a Touchstone CM8200 modem with just a PC and Ps4 connected by Lan, and just a Fire Stick and my Cell uses the Wifi.

• Administrators

Haha no problem, as long as you're enjoying yourself!

On Windows 10, go to Settings > Gaming > Xbox Networking, what does the test say for NAT? - Do this with DMZ disabled and UPnP enabled. If it says unable to quality, click fix it, does it switch to open then? If so then try the game, do you get an Open NAT?

I do have the PC in the Geo Filter but even though it's showing Moderate in the Xbox settings I got an open nat in game.  Upon updating/resetting the R2 all I did in the software was add the ps4 and pc to the Geo and setup a small connection area.  Also I think what was stopping me was the Avast Firewall as once I started using the Firewall through Windows it worked.  

Is the Moderate in Xbox Settings going to be a problem?  Or is open open?

Yeah played a few games and was sitting between 45-55ms (As shown in game) which is pretty good considering I'm close to Alaska, and not on Fiber.

Any other settings I should look at changing, or is there anything I can do to help with the wifi dropoffs?  The only time Wifi is really used my PC/Console wouldn't be at use.  Usually just bedtime.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Braidster said:

Yeah played a few games and was sitting between 45-55ms (As shown in game) which is pretty good considering I'm close to Alaska, and not on Fiber.

Any other settings I should look at changing, or is there anything I can do to help with the wifi dropoffs?  The only time Wifi is really used my PC/Console wouldn't be at use.  Usually just bedtime.

That is great news! I'm assuming you've already adjusted QoS so in terms of those two features I would leave them as is for the moment if the connection is quite good. For WiFi we're still looking into it but try disabling Mirror mode, giving 2.4/5GHz different names and connecting the devices to 2.4/5GHz manually.

52 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That is great news! I'm assuming you've already adjusted QoS so in terms of those two features I would leave them as is for the moment if the connection is quite good. For WiFi we're still looking into it but try disabling Mirror mode, giving 2.4/5GHz different names and connecting the devices to 2.4/5GHz manually.

I haven't touched the QoS I was a little overwhelmed with what to do so I didn't touch it.  I disabled mirror mode and setup the two wifi channels on their own, but after noticing them not showing up in lists I rebooted the router and can no longer get into the software.  I tried rebooting the PC and still can't.  It's giving me an infinite sign in loop which I can't bypass.  Not sure what to do from here besides another Factory reset which I'd rather not have to keep doing.  *Fixed*

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad you got that sorted. For QoS, adjust the Congestion Control sliders (Always selected) until you find what gives you the best results for Ping Under Load on the Connection Benchmark test.

Gonna be honest with you Fraser while I do really appreciate all the help you've given me I'm really regretting getting this router.  Since the start it's been nothing but problems, and the simple fact it can't hold a simple Wifi server is disappointing.  

After my last post I tried to watch a couple shows on my tv through an Amazon Fire stick.  This is located maybe 20' at best away from the router and over an hour-hour 15 I completely lost connection twice with one time over 10mins.  99% of the time the 5ghz channel doesn't even show up on the list, and when it does shows a really weak signal.  As I mentioned way earlier I live alone so these are incidences when there is no other internet use.  

After I had the last major drop I decided to try and game again only to find I was back on Moderate Nat type without me changing anything.  What it seems is that "Teredo is unable to qualify" keeps coming back on it's on, and usually I have to run it again to get it open.  I'm sure you can understand how frustrating this is when I had no problems previously with the old router, but was looking to this as a way to give me a better overall experience.

I'm really hoping I can get this working properly as it should.  Yes I do know this isn't aimed to excel in Wifi, but it should be more then adequate to handle simple feeds in a small apartment.  Is there anyway I can get a tech to remotely set this up for me as it should be?   

• Administrators

There isn't really anything I can do via a remote session to prevent disconnects etc. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that Xbox test on the PC, it does the same for me all the time. Here are a few things to change that could help but really WiFi needs to be improved by a firmware update. Did you do a factory reset after the upgrade by the way?

• In DHCP settings, reserve IP addresses for all your devices - this will help with the NAT issue and potentially the disconnects
  • Set DHCP hours to 168
  • I've had some reports that disabling Syn Flood Protection in Settings can also help with the disconnects
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN & LAN

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There isn't really anything I can do via a remote session to prevent disconnects etc. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that Xbox test on the PC, it does the same for me all the time. Here are a few things to change that could help but really WiFi needs to be improved by a firmware update. Did you do a factory reset after the upgrade by the way?

• In DHCP settings, reserve IP addresses for all your devices - this will help with the NAT issue and potentially the disconnects
  • Set DHCP hours to 168
  • I've had some reports that disabling Syn Flood Protection in Settings can also help with the disconnects
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN & LAN

I did do the factory reset and left pretty much everything at stock settings.  The only thing I added was a Port Forward rule to open port 3084 which was recommended in game as it was showing me moderate.  As of this morning I was open on PC, and Moderate on PS4.  Seeing I entered the rule using the PC ip I changed it to effect the PS and now I can't even get online on the PC.  It tries logging in and I get an instant server disconnect, and everything is fine and open on Console.  

I'm going to try a factory reset one last time and if that doesn't fix things I might have to ship this back and move on.

• Administrators

Did you disable UPnP when you made that port forward rule? Reserved IPs will definitely make it easier for NAT, if they're not reserved then the device could change IP each time it connects and make your rules out of date, reserving them won't allow that to happen. Did you have the Geo-Filter enabled when disconnected? Okay let us know how you get on.

After the fifth time factory resetting this thing and reserving ip's I for now have Open nat on both PC and Console.  Of course the problem I have now is that I no long have any wifi at all.  Everything is enabled in the Software but neither of the two devices I use (Cell/Fire Stick) has them show in the connection lists. The Wifi channels aren't even showing anymore in the Device Manager sprouting off the Router.  Followed the few steps you recently gave me but seems to just open up new problems once I get something working correctly.  Running the Connection Benchmark before I was consistently getting A+ in the Speed Test, but now in the last four I've had DDAA.  Not really sure where to go from here.

• Administrators

Connection Benchmark speed isn't reporting highly enough at the moment but the router will be getting full speed. We are also working on improving the WiFi but I think it might be best to get you a replacement if the WiFi isn't broadcasting so if needed email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number asking for a replacement.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Connection Benchmark speed isn't reporting highly enough at the moment but the router will be getting full speed. We are also working on improving the WiFi but I think it might be best to get you a replacement if the WiFi isn't broadcasting so if needed email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number asking for a replacement.

Thanks Fraser sorry I meant to post before bed last night but I was mentally fatigued from the day I spent messing around with this thing.  As of last night I had maintained the Open nat on both PC/Console but it did seem like my speeds were down from when I first connected the R2.  I played a few games on PC and was avg roughly 70ms in game, but when I first installed was getting more in the 40-50 range.  Not sure if any of these settings changes could've effected the drop or not.  It could really be anything as I do know during peak hours of the day the internet where I live can get overloaded with traffic. The Wifi did end up showing up but still really slow.  As said before my old Asus could hold signal until I was about a block away from my Apt building, and now it's cutting me off at the end of the hall.  I'm really wanting this to work so hopefully a new unit might improve things.

• Administrators

Totally understand. What are your speeds now compared to before and how/where are you testing them. In game ping is more a reflection of the server, was the Geo-Filter ping roughly the same? WiFi is an on going improvement at the moment.