x86 / x64 support

I know you're fairly set with your current business model - but I would most happily pay a licensing fee to install DumaOS on my own dedicated x86 / x64 box to use as a dedicated wired router (I use my own access points).

Just a long term planning thought I'd toss your way.  

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Awesome to hear that is something that you'd like to see, I will add it to our request list. Just my own 2cents on it, once you start providing software for download it would be very easy to pirate it but I'm sure there is something the devs could do if they wanted to go down that route. Thanks for the suggestion!

Perhaps require an authentication server?   Unsure how Untangle / Sophos handle their requirements.   

I'd pay a pretty penny though to be able to build my own box.   If DumaOS is based off of linux than it might be possible.   If it's ground up software than it's very unlikely to happen.

One other alternative depending on resources: 

A more powerful wired only router and don't include wireless.   That's my main thing in the personal sense.  I utilize my own wireless access points.   I would prefer to have a wired box only that will be more future proof as hardware advanced vs wireless hardware that is money wasted having it included. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Killhippie
On 11/11/2020 at 9:15 PM, IamWardicus said:

I know you're fairly set with your current business model - but I would most happily pay a licensing fee to install DumaOS on my own dedicated x86 / x64 box to use as a dedicated wired router (I use my own access points).

Just a long term planning thought I'd toss your way.  

The only problem I can see is DumaOS would have to be compliant with every computer on the planet for it to work as they have no idea what 'box' you are installing it on, this could be an issue as its not a fat binary as far I'm as aware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, Killhippie said:

The only problem I can see is DumaOS would have to be compliant with every computer on the planet for it to work as they have no idea what 'box' you are installing it on, this could be an issue as its not a fat binary as far I'm as aware.

Yea I see that issue too. It's already kind of a mess trying to integrate and play nice with Netgear code and changes. Especially when they can't fix their dated code and have to approve of all the netduma changes.