XR700 appears half bricked after failed update to 1.0.1.34

Short story: I logged into the router and told it to run its own update from 1.0.1.20 to 1.0.1.34. After about 30 minutes of sitting on the "we're upgrading" screen I re-logged into the router's interface and got the "DumaOS not loaded yet" message. In the past whenever the admin interface had been laggy a power cycle sorted it out. It didn't appear that the firmware update was in progress at the moment so I unplugged the router, let it sit for a bit, and powered it back on. After the power on it was in the same state.

I then removed it from its usual home to connect it straight to my PC and see if a TFTP push of 1.0.1.34 would kick it, but no love and the router is still having the same issues. I've now tried using http://www.routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm to factory reset and downgrade all the way to 1.0.0.20. Still busted. Did some research online and found 1.0.1.24 beta that should help and that didn't help my router.

Did some more research and found that other users with similar issues also had Wi-Fi radio problems, looked into the settings on my router and sure enough the WiFi is busted for mine too. It doesn't matter what advanced or basic settings I use the 2.4GHz and 5GHz won't turn on. I did try disabling them in the advanced radio settings, reboot, re-enable, reboot method.

I've had this router for nearly two years, so the warranty is long gone. Is there something I can do or is this router FUBAR?

These are based on the R9000 router that had known issues with WiFi failing on a hardware point of view. Unfortunately if it’s this fault and no matter what you try the WiFi is dead it’s a hardware issue and means replacing the router. 
While it’s a pain other manufactures suffer this, more so than NG. 

Guest Killhippie

Sounds like when the Asus routers loose their radios (known issue on some designs) its hardware probably and when updating firmware you are pushing the CPU and Radios to the limit with new code, that's when things tend to break, same with computers, TV's etc. If it was a major firmware bug it would be all over the Netgear support forum. Have you tried downgrading and factory resetting? You must factory reset! If no joy sorry its dead, if you have hardware warranty left contact Netgear via your personal login that will show what warranty you have left when you registered the unit. If you have any hardware warranty left set up an RMA. If not, time for new a new router sadly.