XR1000 hybrid VPN option missing

I received my new XR1000 yesterday. I went through setup using Nighthawk iOS app. After setup (included the steps for firmware update to 1.0.0.44_1.0.33) and wifi working, I went to the router login web interface to review the other settings, immediately noticed I had the R-app not loading issue discussed in other forum posts. (Note: At that time I also notice the hybrid VPN option not available on the right menu options. ) So, I did a factory reset and came back with the r-app issue resolved. However, the hybrid VPN still remains missing?! I read my documentation and it is a feature that is supposed to be available with the XR1000. I really need that feature. (What is the url for hybridvpn in the browser (...netdumassoftware.???), perhaps it isn’t in the menu but still accessible) Or is this a feature NETGEAR is silently removing from the DumasOS?  I saw one post mention it wasn’t a feature, but documentation from NETGEAR show it in the specs. Help!  I need to know if this is a bug or I need to return product for missing an important feature. Thanks in advance! 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I just replied to your post on the XR forum. Where are you seeing that as all I see is:
"VPN SUPPORT—On PC, MAC, & now also with OpenVPN Connect
app on iOS & Android, securely access your home network & Internet
connection from your mobile device remotely" which is what the VPN service is, not HybridVPN.

Guest Killhippie
26 minutes ago, Xf1000user said:

I received my new XR1000 yesterday. I went through setup using Nighthawk iOS app. After setup (included the steps for firmware update to 1.0.0.44_1.0.33) and wifi working, I went to the router login web interface to review the other settings, immediately noticed I had the R-app not loading issue discussed in other forum posts. (Note: At that time I also notice the hybrid VPN option not available on the right menu options. ) So, I did a factory reset and came back with the r-app issue resolved. However, the hybrid VPN still remains missing?! I read my documentation and it is a feature that is supposed to be available with the XR1000. I really need that feature. (What is the url for hybridvpn in the browser (...netdumassoftware.???), perhaps it isn’t in the menu but still accessible) Or is this a feature NETGEAR is silently removing from the DumasOS?  I saw one post mention it wasn’t a feature, but documentation from NETGEAR show it in the specs. Help!  I need to know if this is a bug or I need to return product for missing an important feature. Thanks in advance! 

I imagine that Netduma would be the ones to remove features not Netgear and it does not say it has a Hybrid VPN, just a basic VPN I believe.

Thank all for your fast reply’s. I didn’t know netduma was separate of netgear - good to know. 👍What I am seeing is in the netgear.com datasheet for the XF1000, on page 8 under security, along with screenshots on page 2 is hybrid vpn. 
https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/xr1000.pdf

Guest Killhippie
9 minutes ago, Xf1000user said:

Thank all for your fast reply’s. I didn’t know netduma was separate of netgear - good to know. 👍What I am seeing is in the netgear.com datasheet for the XF1000, on page 8 under security, along with screenshots on page 2 is hybrid vpn. 
https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/xr1000.pdf

Sadly its not the same read here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/XR1000-DumaOS-3-0-VPN/m-p/1989587

'Hybrid VPN isn't an available feature on the XR1000 unfortunately'  Probably a misprint from the Old Netgear units or its part of Bitdfender, if it does not say Hybrid VPN on your dashboard, its not there I'm afraid.

Thanks for your reply. 
Bummer! Maybe I will be hopeful of that feature being added to this device in the future. It is nice to have VPN options on the router side, as opposed per device because roku and apple tv aren’t so easy to manage.

Guest Killhippie
3 minutes ago, Xf1000user said:

Thanks for your reply. 
Bummer! Maybe I will be hopeful of that feature being added to this device in the future. It is nice to have VPN options on the router side, as opposed per device because roku and apple tv aren’t so easy to manage.

Looks like it was old pictures and revised firmware didn't have it sadly. Have you got AdBlocker?

Guest Killhippie
9 minutes ago, Xf1000user said:

Thanks for your reply. 

It may be but If its something you want, grab a XR500 instead, although the Hybrid VPN leaks in Milestone 1.3 it may be okay in 3.0 beta. (not sure about the beta best ask on Netgear forum first) Its not a greatly used feature I believe so who knows. :( 

Guest Killhippie
On 10/11/2020 at 4:50 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for directing me to the right place, as above it is old. During the beta Adblocker was available briefly as well but then removed. NG decide what features make it on to their routers but it may be available in future.

I think  Bitdefender would clash with some DumaOS features like adblocker and Hybriod VPN I'm guessing Fraser. You provide the builds though dont you? Netgear cant just remove your code surely!

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I think  Bitdefender would clash with some DumaOS features like adblocker and Hybriod VPN I'm guessing Fraser. You provide the builds though dont you? Netgear cant just remove your code surely!

We provide our part of course but if they want a certain feature removed then that is what has to be done. 

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We provide our part of course but if they want a certain feature removed then that is what has to be done. 

So you removed it for them? I wish they had not bothered with Bitdefender personally Fraser it seems like a bad idea with DumaOS in the mix, to many places of conflict in a complicated firmware setup as it is.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

So you removed it for them? I wish they had not bothered with Bitdefender personally Fraser it seems like a bad idea with DumaOS in the mix, to many places of conflict in a complicated firmware setup as it is.

Yes we would have removed it as per their request. I think they want the routers to have more security options but yes we will have to keep a close eye on that.

Reading over this, I now better understand why the Ad blocker and Hybrid VPN feature was removed off the DumaOS 3.0 for the XR1000. I see that Netgear and Bitdefender partnered up - https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/.  My assumption is that NetGear won't allow users of DumaOS to chose VPN routing on the hardware device any longer because Bitdefender offers their own VPN software\service.  The poor assumption by Netgear, is that they downgraded the capabilities of this device from a VPN router, to just a router. In addition, not all users want Bitdefender as their VPN, which requires the app to be installed per device. That is, the site it claims,  "With Bitdefender VPN, your connections are secure and encrypted, and your online activity is kept private, even when you’re on an unsecured public network. Enjoy 200MB of free encrypted data traffic per day**."   However, I have Armor activated with my XR100 and doing a DNS leak test/Ip checker doesn't actually conceal traffic over the XR1000 router without installing the Bitdefender app per device. Plus there isn't the option of choosing Bitdefender VPN routing on the router at all. This leaves my IOT  (smart cameras/TV's/Nest/Thermostats) exposed because there isn't a way to install BitDefender Security app on those devices.

I personally  like to control the VPN at the router level for some situations, and not always at the OS\App level. The additional security feature of the hybrid VPN on DumaIS made that possible along with a choice of VPN providers. Hence, I just bought myself a Netgear Xr500 , albiet an older device, but I may just abandon Netgear all together and head to Asus or Linksys as a better options for a hardware VPN router. 

Sorry, but I think DumaOS went backwards, not forwards with removing this VPN router feature.

Guest Killhippie
8 hours ago, Xf1000user said:

Reading over this, I now better understand why the Ad blocker and Hybrid VPN feature was removed off the DumaOS 3.0 for the XR1000. I see that Netgear and Bitdefender partnered up - https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/.  My assumption is that NetGear won't allow users of DumaOS to chose VPN routing on the hardware device any longer because Bitdefender offers their own VPN software\service.  The poor assumption by Netgear, is that they downgraded the capabilities of this device from a VPN router, to just a router. In addition, not all users want Bitdefender as their VPN, which requires the app to be installed per device. That is, the site it claims,  "With Bitdefender VPN, your connections are secure and encrypted, and your online activity is kept private, even when you’re on an unsecured public network. Enjoy 200MB of free encrypted data traffic per day**."   However, I have Armor activated with my XR100 and doing a DNS leak test/Ip checker doesn't actually conceal traffic over the XR1000 router without installing the Bitdefender app per device. Plus there isn't the option of choosing Bitdefender VPN routing on the router at all. This leaves my IOT  (smart cameras/TV's/Nest/Thermostats) exposed because there isn't a way to install BitDefender Security app on those devices.

I personally  like to control the VPN at the router level for some situations, and not always at the OS\App level. The additional security feature of the hybrid VPN on DumaIS made that possible along with a choice of VPN providers. Hence, I just bought myself a Netgear Xr500 , albiet an older device, but I may just abandon Netgear all together and head to Asus or Linksys as a better options for a hardware VPN router. 

Sorry, but I think DumaOS went backwards, not forwards with removing this VPN router feature.

Did you try the Nighthawk app with Bitdefender? I have a RAX120 (retail testing unit provided by Netgear that I keep for clarity as I beta tested the original RAX model in 2018) and I have avoided Bitdefender tbh. You could pick up a R2 and use a cheaper AX router as an AP if needed. The Hybrid VPN on the XR500 leaks too I'm afraid and avoid the beta of 3.0 at the moment its not for public consumption and you have no warranty using a beta either. :( Good luck in your search.