New R2 owner questions

sHANADELT

Hey guys just received the R2 in the mail, Thank you for the fast shipping! i was not expecting that.  I am new to all this networking stuff and was hoping to ask some questions as i am confused on optimal settings for the router.  

Current ISP - Xfinity 1GBps speed

Current Cable Modem - Netgear CM1200

Current Router - NetDuma R2

Computer is hardwired in using Cat6 cables.  

Ok on with the meat and potatoes.  I have noticed my internet speed when using the CM1200 and R2 combo cannot get past 870 MBps, when using the xfinity cable modem/router I get a solid 940 MBps( I tested this with QoS on and off, with it off is when I saw the highest speeds 870 MBps when QoS is on the speeds are reduced to below 600 MBps).  I went into the settings of the CM1200 and checked to see if there was a firmware update but that is taken care of by the ISP apparently.  Which leads me to the router,  I am not sure of the optimal settings for a router.  Disable or enable UPnP? not sure what that does.  static ip? (not sure what that does) if so, how do I set that up? DMZ? I guess I just need a good schooling on these things.  I have also been using the connection benchmark and QoS (i left bandwidth allocation alone is that good?) more specifically the congestion control panel and have been trying to figure out for hours now how to get the jitter down during ping test and try to match up the download/upload/ idle under Ping Load. I have got it pretty close with the jitter  I honestly don't really know where to begin when trying to look this stuff up on the internet, its like going down the rabbit hole everyone seems to have different opinions on how to setup the router.

I appreciate any help related to this in advance.

Thank you,

Nick

Connection Benchmark.png

QoS.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The speeds you're getting are probably about the maximum you will be able to achieve with the R2. In general what I would recommend is to leave the actual settings pages alone unless you know what you're doing/have a specific purpose as there won't be much in there that will give you a better experience online. Do you have an Open NAT on your console? If so you don't need to change anything regarding UPnP or DMZ. The speed part of Connection Benchmark will not be affected by your Congestion Control settings. To get Ping Under Load down/stable as much as possible use Always for Congestion Control and experiment with different percentages and then re-run the test etc until you find what works. You can try using the Auto Setup option although it is very aggressive at the moment - we've changed this for the future firmware.

Hi Fraser!

Thank you for the reply.  I am using a PC but after reading several forum posts you recommended to switch the device type to console under device manager which is what I did.  I had to actually port forward the ports for CoD because I was getting a moderate nat type.  Now no issues regarding nat type it is open. For geo filter there is 2 options CoD and CoD PC only what is the difference other than the auto enable feature.  with that being said should I still have UPnP enabled? what about static ip?  I have now switched congestion control to use ALWAYS.  so for the ping load it is essentially re running the test.  would you recommended running 3 test before making any changes or does average matter?  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, sHANADELT said:

Hi Fraser!

Thank you for the reply.  I am using a PC but after reading several forum posts you recommended to switch the device type to console under device manager which is what I did.  I had to actually port forward the ports for CoD because I was getting a moderate nat type.  Now no issues regarding nat type it is open. For geo filter there is 2 options CoD and CoD PC only what is the difference other than the auto enable feature.  with that being said should I still have UPnP enabled? what about static ip?  I have now switched congestion control to use ALWAYS.  so for the ping load it is essentially re running the test.  would you recommended running 3 test before making any changes or does average matter?  

In the Device Manager give your device a PlayStation device type and then re-add it to the Geo-Filter and select the manual option. This will allow you to filter any game on the PC and so you don't have to deal with any issues of the individual services needing to get updated. You can keep UPnP enabled, static IP isn't necessary. I'd do one test, make a change, do a test etc etc until you find what lowers it the most.

Ok so I have changed the device type and deleted the previous filter and added a new one.  i have attached 2 photos one of the connection test and one of the QoS settings.  it says that you guys recommend 70-70 for download and upload but i found that 31 on the download and 2 on the upload give me the most consistent ping under load.  If the download ping is spiking under ping load should I be going up or down with the slider, this is where my confusion sets in. 

Connection Test.png

QoS Settings.png

9 minutes ago, sHANADELT said:

Ok so I have changed the device type and deleted the previous filter and added a new one.  i have attached 2 photos one of the connection test and one of the QoS settings.  it says that you guys recommend 70-70 for download and upload but i found that 31 on the download and 2 on the upload give me the most consistent ping under load.  If the download ping is spiking under ping load should I be going up or down with the slider, this is where my confusion sets in. 

Connection Test.png

QoS Settings.png

it all depends on what u have running at the time..i to have xfjnity is yours still cable or do you have the fiber?   they dont have fiber were im at..but regardless your stats look pretty good esp if you have cable..fiber tends to be more stable..it also matters ehat time of the day u do the tests network traffic factors in...i wouldnt however keep upnp on of you have portforwarding as this can cause a double nat..but if it works for u cool..your settings seem good to me tho

11 minutes ago, MassaDebata85 said:

it all depends on what u have running at the time..i to have xfjnity is yours still cable or do you have the fiber?   they dont have fiber were im at..but regardless your stats look pretty good esp if you have cable..fiber tends to be more stable..it also matters ehat time of the day u do the tests network traffic factors in...i wouldnt however keep upnp on of you have portforwarding as this can cause a double nat..but if it works for u cool..your settings seem good to me tho

I believe it is still cable I have 1 Gig speeds.  I read that the Gigabit Pro from xfinity which is the 2 gbps speed option is fiber but that is also $300 a month in my area.  so you suggest i turn of UPnP because of my port forwarding?  I havent had an issue with it on with the port forwards but i will test with it off.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, sHANADELT said:

27 minutes ago, sHANADELT said:

these are my current settings.  when looking into UPnP i noticed something was in there i havent seen that before.  Should i not have the port forwards on if this is on under UPnP?

That's what we recommend as a general starting point but do encourage people to find the percentage that works for them. Assuming you started at a high percentage then would go down in increments until you find the sweet spot, would suggest trying above 70% as well. You can leave UPnP enabled, shouldn't cause too many issues.

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's what we recommend as a general starting point but do encourage people to find the percentage that works for them. Assuming you started at a high percentage then would go down in increments until you find the sweet spot, would suggest trying above 70% as well. You can leave UPnP enabled, shouldn't cause too many issues.

Hi Fraser,

I have tried everything when it comes to the congestion control slider.  started at 99 on both and worked my way down until i found the most consistent line load under the Ping load test.

19 hours ago, sHANADELT said:

Hi Fraser,

I have tried everything when it comes to the congestion control slider.  started at 99 on both and worked my way down until i found the most consistent line load under the Ping load test.

question I just thought of,  leaving UPnP enabled wont cause any hit detection issues would it?

question I just thought of,  leaving UPnP enabled wont cause any hit detection issues would it?

another question that is kind of on the same topic.  I rent the house im currently living in and im not sure if the cable line is 1 run or if it splits.  Could this effect the "jitter" or would an issue like that show up on bench test if so, what result should i be looking at.  

18 hours ago, sHANADELT said:

another question that is kind of on the same topic.  I rent the house im currently living in and im not sure if the cable line is 1 run or if it splits.  Could this effect the "jitter" or would an issue like that show up on bench test if so, what result should i be looking at.  

Also do I need to have dumaOS open and running on my desktop or can i close it out before i go into games?

4 hours ago, sHANADELT said:

the less splitters the better but as long as there tight and clean ull be fine..and u can close duma os u dont habe to leave it open..and no upnp wont cause any hit detection issue

• Administrators

Hi Fraser,

Also do I need to have dumaOS open and running on my desktop or can i close it out before i go into games?

Great! Ideally you would disable UPnP as it could cause conflicts but as you've used port forwarding to one device then other devices could suffer if they require ports to be opened. Try both on and off and see what plays better/if there are issues with any other devices. Good advice above, no you don't need the interface open. You can set it once and then forget it entirely if you wish.

Hey Fraser,

So I had xfinity technician come out to my house and ran a fresh line from outside the house to where my computer is and made sure it was the only connection active.  I feel that the ethernet performance is hit or miss on the Netduma R2.  I understand speedtest can be inconsistent with results but to the fluctuations that I am seeing seems to me something is unstable.  I have QoS and Congestion control on i have my slider set to 85% which is 710 mbps.  I set my connection bandwidth to what i am able to get out of the R2 with QoS disabled and now congestion slider which is around 840 MBps.  Now that in itself is an issue how am i losing 100 MBps from just plugging in a router to my cable modem.  I have never had that kind of drop before in a router.  my speedtest results will vary which is not normal to me.  When i was using Xfinity gateway/router combo every speed test i ran i hit 940 MBps or more everytime.  Is the router having to work harder because the WiFi is not up to snuff or is there something else going on?  I guess what i am getting at is i pay for 1 GBps internet speeds if i cannot get anywhere near that with this setup then maybe i should downgrade my internet?  would the XR1000 be a better choice?  The Xr1000 is using QAM 1024 versus the QAM 256 that i have currently, would extra 20% you get from that be the difference im looking for?

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, sHANADELT said:

Hey Fraser,

So I had xfinity technician come out to my house and ran a fresh line from outside the house to where my computer is and made sure it was the only connection active.  I feel that the ethernet performance is hit or miss on the Netduma R2.  I understand speedtest can be inconsistent with results but to the fluctuations that I am seeing seems to me something is unstable.  I have QoS and Congestion control on i have my slider set to 85% which is 710 mbps.  I set my connection bandwidth to what i am able to get out of the R2 with QoS disabled and now congestion slider which is around 840 MBps.  Now that in itself is an issue how am i losing 100 MBps from just plugging in a router to my cable modem.  I have never had that kind of drop before in a router.  my speedtest results will vary which is not normal to me.  When i was using Xfinity gateway/router combo every speed test i ran i hit 940 MBps or more everytime.  Is the router having to work harder because the WiFi is not up to snuff or is there something else going on?  I guess what i am getting at is i pay for 1 GBps internet speeds if i cannot get anywhere near that with this setup then maybe i should downgrade my internet?  would the XR1000 be a better choice?  The Xr1000 is using QAM 1024 versus the QAM 256 that i have currently, would extra 20% you get from that be the difference im looking for?

Are you testing that via speedtest.net? It's nothing to do with the WiFi and probably that 840 is the max you can get but how is the gateway setup, is it in router mode, bridge mode? You would likely get higher speeds with the XR yes as it is more powerful hardware. Depending on how your gateway is setup may be able to squeeze out some more speed.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you testing that via speedtest.net? It's nothing to do with the WiFi and probably that 840 is the max you can get but how is the gateway setup, is it in router mode, bridge mode? You would likely get higher speeds with the XR yes as it is more powerful hardware. Depending on how your gateway is setup may be able to squeeze out some more speed.

I am testing on multiple sites several times to get an average and it varies by usually 20-30 MBps sometimes a variance of up to 50 MBps.  I was just curious if the system in general is being taxed more than it should to run optimally.  Dual core processor, maybe needs more ram or cache? Well i get that the XR is more powerful but i was hoping the R2 would be able to push my network to its potential.  I'm using a CM1200 cable modem plugged into the R2 router, so I would assume the modem is already in bridge mode?

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, sHANADELT said:

I am testing on multiple sites several times to get an average and it varies by usually 20-30 MBps sometimes a variance of up to 50 MBps.  I was just curious if the system in general is being taxed more than it should to run optimally.  Dual core processor, maybe needs more ram or cache? Well i get that the XR is more powerful but i was hoping the R2 would be able to push my network to its potential.  I'm using a CM1200 cable modem plugged into the R2 router, so I would assume the modem is already in bridge mode?

9 minutes ago, sHANADELT said:

Also after downloading the IOS app this is what i see on my geo filter when on my computer with the app open on my phone.  I am located in Oregon and it is showing in California is this normal? 37 ms?

Screenshot (11).png

Thanks for the info, that is a pure modem so no bottleneck there. It's probably the max you will get out of the router. We will have a new firmware this week though so worth trying that to see if you get any higher. If you allow the router to test your bandwidth speeds (not benchmark) what does it give you? It looks like Filtering Mode isn't active, is that the case if you scroll up?

filtering mode is active and now when i look under UPnP i have a new port open 17536?  when i do connection test in DumaOS it is all over the place. Usually D rating which is like 570 MBps or below sometimes it will hit 680 MBps, i have had it hit 710 MBps once which is what i have my congestion control set to.  when i test on a website the numbers seem to get a little better but still doesnt seem like a constant connection.  in my mind if i have it set to 710 MBps it should be immediately getting to that point without question when starting the test,  its like the router is struggling to get to that point fighting to reach 710 MBps. 

• Administrators

Either it's not in Filtering Mode or you applied the Polygons while you were already on the game, in which case because you would have made connections already it would bypass your settings. Not the benchmark test, that will show a little bit slower and we're working on that. In the Congestion Control 3 line option menu, allow it to test your speeds, what does it get?

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, sHANADELT said:

i figured out what that peer connection is it is discord which makes sense.  when i do the auto test anywhere from 570-600 MBps with QoS and everything turned on.  port 17536 UDP WTF is that?

That's the auto detection of speeds? Interesting. What ethernet category cables are you using? I assume they're fine just want to check. What device is that port opening for? There is no specific port designation for that but it could be anything.

i just pulled a 745 MBps with QoS and Congestion turned off.  I believe i figured out what the port is.  I looked at my modem settings and Link aggregation was turned on.  so i turned that off and restarted everything and now its gone.

• Administrators

Well done on figuring that out. As I mentioned previously the speeds you received are probably the maximum you can get. There is an update coming up for the router so you can try that when available and see if it helps boost the speed but unlikely.

thank you! ok i understand i hope it helps because other than that this router is awesome. I love the fact that the R2 will get updates first which was why i made the purchase but if it doesn't fix it i will get the XR1000 and have both :).   The new stealth update to the geo filter was a welcomed change, i noticed immediately how responsive the map was.  Now it will be just nailing down the accuracy of what and where things are being displayed.