Issues XR500

• Administrators

Are you using the XR500 3.0 beta? If so reboot the router, connect to the interface and click apply on Internet Setup. If that fails use TFTP to load .56 firmware (pre beta) and we'll have a new firmware soon to test. This is something that has happened on the beta and we are investigating why.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using the XR500 3.0 beta? If so reboot the router, connect to the interface and click apply on Internet Setup. If that fails use TFTP to load .56 firmware (pre beta) and we'll have a new firmware soon to test. This is something that has happened on the beta and we are investigating why.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

I am not going to do all that, as you have sold this item @ £250 - and then beta tested it on us user.

Sorry but I think this is the part where realise the DumaOS software is nothing but a placebo effect (go look on reddit etc).

I will get a refund, if I cant do that I wont buy another product from Duma again or recommend the product to anyone.

Guest Killhippie
14 hours ago, Sci0n said:

I am not going to do all that, as you have sold this item @ £250 - and then beta tested it on us user.

Sorry but I think this is the part where realise the DumaOS software is nothing but a placebo effect (go look on reddit etc).

I will get a refund, if I cant do that I wont buy another product from Duma again or recommend the product to anyone.

I have done many Beta tests for Netgear, when you agreed to use the beta firmware it does mention the fact that the firmware may not be stable and may cause unexpected behaviour, hence it being a beta. If issues like this happen TFTP its the only way to get your router back from the dead. Beta testing is not always fun, but it is needed. If this is not really what you expected after getting your router functional stick to the latest release version until 3.0 is released. :)

9 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I have done many Beta tests for Netgear, when you agreed to use the beta firmware it does mention the fact that the firmware may not be stable and may cause unexpected behaviour, hence it being a beta. If issues like this happen TFTP its the only way to get your router back from the dead. Beta testing is not always fun, but it is needed. If this is not really what you expected after getting your router functional stick to the latest release version until 3.0 is released. :)

Agreed! All these people wanting access to the beta, then complain when there's an issue. If you're not willing to deal with issues then you should never install any beta software or firmware. 

• Administrators
On 9/7/2020 at 10:22 PM, Sci0n said:

We didn't beta test it on you, you chose to use the beta firmware. I'm sorry you had the issue - I had it myself but I have confirmed that it works when using TFTP with the .56 firmware.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:29 AM, faulko said:

I’m in same vote

came from work and it dead, multiple resets nothing works.

And sure as shit I’m not doing All that crap listed in that link.

It's actually quite a quick process contrary to what it looks like. It will be the easiest way to get your router working again.

-

I am sorry the issue happened, we are investigating it currently.

On 9/8/2020 at 12:33 PM, Killhippie said:

No the differnce to 'not stabe' to bricking an exspensive item. Also I have done many beta tests for Xbox, Sony, Andriod, Apple and not once I have I had to do such a long as list of BS to get any hardware to work again, as they all supply an option to re-flash the hardware so its easy to fix for any consumer.

As it was pointed out to me by the guy at my works who does all our networking etc. Why the XR500 can not read an img file off a USB stick as it has USB ports on the left side, to go back to old software if connected to a laptop/pc only connected by an ethernet cable. As he pointed out the way this company expects you to get it working again is not consumer friendly at all.

He got it back to old .56 using the TFTP method. Now I have an amber light where the ethernet port is ?

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Sci0n said:

No the differnce to 'not stabe' to bricking an exspensive item. Also I have done many beta tests for Xbox, Sony, Andriod, Apple and not once I have I had to do such a long as list of BS to get any hardware to work again, as they all supply an option to re-flash the hardware so its easy to fix for any consumer.

As it was pointed out to me by the guy at my works who does all our networking etc. Why the XR500 can not read an img file off a USB stick as it has USB ports on the left side, to go back to old software if connected to a laptop/pc only connected by an ethernet cable. As he pointed out the way this company expects you to get it working again is not consumer friendly at all.

He got it back to old .56 using the TFTP method. Now I have an amber light where the ethernet port is ?

If the interface is inaccessible then you would not be able to access it to launch an installation from the USB port - can you do this on other routers that you are aware of? The guide is as simple as you can make it, and once you try it it's not too difficult. The LAN port? Do you have internet from the port?

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If the interface is inaccessible then you would not be able to access it to launch an installation from the USB port - can you do this on other routers that you are aware of? The guide is as simple as you can make it, and once you try it it's not too difficult. The LAN port? Do you have internet from the port?

I will take a pic of it so you can see what I mean, also yes my BT router does that. which I didnt know it did.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Sci0n said:

I will take a pic of it so you can see what I mean, also yes my BT router does that. which I didnt know it did.

If you get a connection through that port then it means the port will be limited to 10/100Mbps, likely due to the device or the cable being used. I couldn't find anything about the BT router having that functionality but I found how you can do it with a cisco router and that's more complicated than the TFTP method https://networkproguide.com/how-update-cisco-router-using-usb-drive/

I think you'll find majority of people felt they had no choice but to try the beta fw as the .56 fw is fundamentally broken for users. Would of saved alot of trouble if it was hot patched a year ago.. anywho goodluck to people still using the xr500. My suggestion is stick a router behind the xr500 with openwrt and use cake and use the xr500 in ap mode