DumaOS turning into one of the most disappointing purchases ever

Gents,

I've had a few threads open with the number of issues I've had and they are only getting worse; I can no longer sit outside and get better than -88dBm whereas half a year ago I was at least in the 70s; nothing has changed to the structure or setup of the house/metal/other WIFI devices.

The promises of this OS are great, and there a number of cool features, but it's wrapped in junk; I don't understand how it can take so long to release 3.0... it's been my only hold-out other than throwing this thing in the trash - literally.

I've been a C-level exec in IT for over 15 years and while I've seen bad products, nothing quite like this.

I moved from a Cisco ASA + Ubiquiti which worked well, to take some of the easy-management of anti-bufferbloat and geo-restriction without having to worry about actual QoS and perform my work-related activities at home; I want something simple at home, not to work.

Somehow this damn thing turned into much more work than anything enterprise ever would.

Could we please get 3.0 released, or throw me a bone and just get me an alpha/beta version ASAP so I can see if that resolves some of the issues?

Sans that, I'm moving on within the next week as I have 5 children and a wife complaining every other day how trash the network is and I gotta agree.

Thanks

P.S. I've done all the troubleshooting, factory resetting, upgrading FW to latest, etc. and understand how to properly troubleshoot signal and drop issues ala it's my real-world job for the 3rd largest company in its industry. 

• Administrators

I doubt that the beta would fix your issue as it is at the moment. You mentioned WiFi strength but what are the other issues you're having?

I would suggest reinstalling the latest version via TFTP and then do a factory reset to get the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

The other issues we've been having are: 

• intermittent drops throughout the day (complete loss of WIFI signal for all connected devices, hardwired devices still ping out fine during these drops)
  • even when indoors and with good signal, many apps on iPhone/android won't fully load; as soon as you turn off WIFI and go cellular, they instantly finish loading

Just a number of usability issues which non of your customers should need deal with. Again, personally, I bought this so I could have some enterprise-like features without needing to spend much time with it. Like a mechanic that drives a beater because he has no time to work on his own vehicle, as he fixes dozens of other peoples every day, I wanted a solution that was plug, setup and forget -  I want an easy button for home. It's super-unfortunate I'm spending more time with this and not less.

• Administrators

Understood thanks, for the first issue, it will be fixed but I don't believe it's in the current build. When that build is available I'll try to get you on it. The only things I could suggest for it would be to use Static in Internet Setup and setup reserved IPs for the LAN devices - disabling DHCP altogether would be better but understand that's a pain to go on each device and set a static IP. 

What speeds do you pay for/receive and what QoS settings are you using? What is the exact physical setup?

I'd appreciate the build access, even if a fix isn't in a current build; with all new code from the ground up, that often-times resolves issues unintentionally. I figure nothing to lose for your team, to add one more person and one with industry experience which can provide technical feedback (not that I want to, time-wise, but I'd rather have this device working); I can DM you my linkedin page to verify my industry-status if that helps fast-track getting on current build. I certainly have nothing to lose other than time. In the meantime, I did order a TP-Link Archer today to use in AP mode and have a  Palo Alto 220 sitting here; will likely be moving to that setup later this week unless I can get build access before then. However if we can resolve this, then I can send the Archer back within 30 days and use the X500 in AP mode with the PA-220 as another potential setup.

Private IPs are already set statically/reserved for any device I personally utilize in this house; been like that since end of month-one. I'd be absolutely shocked doing anything with DHCP would matter, unless there is a bug you know about and turning DHCP off an odd workaround. 

Pay for 1 Gbps speeds from the ISP. Currently have QoS all turned off, to troubleshoot; previously I've used 70-90% on slider bar and allocated most bandwidth to the devices I care about. The exact physical setup is modem to X500. Have a few devices like an xbox, security camera DVR, etc. hardwired and rest on WIFI; pretty simple.

• Administrators

Well yes I think the issue is due to DHCP and potentially renewing of the lease so by disabling it, in theory it may help. You'll need to sign up here for the beta first: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html then I can try to boost you up the list.

I would suggest trying with Anti-BB being used at the very least, ensuring share excess is still enabled for bandwidth allocation and perhaps disabling Traffic Prioritization completely.

I've been having a lot of the same issues as you. Here I called my ISP (Spectrum) and they "magically" fixed it. I'm assuming a lot of providers have been throttling due to demand during COVID. That's just my guess. Stop hating on the team at NetDuma as they are doing their best. Try factory restarting or waiting until you get the DumaOS Beta. I'm having no issues that we previously mentioned after I upgraded to NetDuma 3. Be patient....

Alright Fraser, I'll sign up for the beta; had thought I previously did. Appreciate it.

However the issue is not DHCP; as I've stated, I've been using static IP/reserved (depending on device) for months; no change in issue and if anything getting worse.

Alongcory; thanks for the tip but you're being extremely unhelpful and passive-aggressive. You're only notable tip is calling the ISP, and for that I commend you. However it is not an ISP issue; I can hook up my old gear and everything works as expected. As I've also wrote, I've done those steps regarding factory reset, so why would you state that?  As I've also said, ping works fine via hardwired devices when these drops happen, thus not an ISP issue. It's an issue with wireless devices only. I have been beyond patient, it's been nearly half a year. Hence the need for DumaOS 3.0 as a last shot. The team's best obviously has a lot of room for growth, or we wouldn't be in this position. Please don't reply to my posts any longer, unless you actually read what I took the time to already write-out within the thread.

There are DHCP renewals for devices on DHCP, but not for the devices I used; I verified by pasting the logs into PSPad and searching for the MAC on my wireless NIC and nothing.

Tech to tech, how can it be DHCP when I'm not on DHCP? Are you saying there is a bug in the DHCP server in this FW, which thus depending on the nature of the bug, could be an issue for me?

ErkdroL for Netgear

• Administrators

If DHCP is still enabled then yes I believe it may still pose an issue despite static/reserved IPs so that would be my recommendation to disable it if possible to see if that helps. Thanks I'll boost you up the list.

Guest Killhippie
On 8/29/2020 at 1:54 PM, Rick Froetsch said:

Gents,

I've had a few threads open with the number of issues I've had and they are only getting worse; I can no longer sit outside and get better than -88dBm whereas half a year ago I was at least in the 70s; nothing has changed to the structure or setup of the house/metal/other WIFI devices.

The promises of this OS are great, and there a number of cool features, but it's wrapped in junk; I don't understand how it can take so long to release 3.0... it's been my only hold-out other than throwing this thing in the trash - literally.

I've been a C-level exec in IT for over 15 years and while I've seen bad products, nothing quite like this.

I moved from a Cisco ASA + Ubiquiti which worked well, to take some of the easy-management of anti-bufferbloat and geo-restriction without having to worry about actual QoS and perform my work-related activities at home; I want something simple at home, not to work.

Somehow this damn thing turned into much more work than anything enterprise ever would.

Could we please get 3.0 released, or throw me a bone and just get me an alpha/beta version ASAP so I can see if that resolves some of the issues?

Sans that, I'm moving on within the next week as I have 5 children and a wife complaining every other day how trash the network is and I gotta agree.

Thanks

P.S. I've done all the troubleshooting, factory resetting, upgrading FW to latest, etc. and understand how to properly troubleshoot signal and drop issues ala it's my real-world job for the 3rd largest company in its industry. 

Hello Mr Froetsch.
 I was wondering why you decided to move away from a Cisco system with NGIPS and AMP as part of a NGFW to a XR500? The comparison in firewall security is unparalleled with the Cisco unit compared with the XR500. Obviously in your position communicating directly with the CEO of your company did this cause any security issues and are there any tweaks you can pass on to us? Also how did you trouble shoot your wireless issues, with your skill set we may be able to learn from you or even vice versa, you never know. :)

On 8/29/2020 at 10:32 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Well yes I think the issue is due to DHCP and potentially renewing of the lease so by disabling it, in theory it may help. You'll need to sign up here for the beta first: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html then I can try to boost you up the list.

I would suggest trying with Anti-BB being used at the very least, ensuring share excess is still enabled for bandwidth allocation and perhaps disabling Traffic Prioritization completely.

Can I get boosted too? Been having drops and even after trying everything im still stuck on this issue, tried to get boosted on twitter but got ignored, netgear user: Blue777

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Blue777 said:

Can I get boosted too? Been having drops and even after trying everything im still stuck on this issue, tried to get boosted on twitter but got ignored, netgear user: Blue777

I've boosted you - it doesn't guarantee an invite just so you know.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:23 AM, Rick Froetsch said:

There are DHCP renewals for devices on DHCP, but not for the devices I used; I verified by pasting the logs into PSPad and searching for the MAC on my wireless NIC and nothing.

Tech to tech, how can it be DHCP when I'm not on DHCP? Are you saying there is a bug in the DHCP server in this FW, which thus depending on the nature of the bug, could be an issue for me?

ErkdroL for Netgear

Rick,

Have you tried the beta? Does it fix the issues?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, wtfiswrongwithduma said:

I am also extremely disappointed. I can't ever see buying a netgear product ever again.

When is a fix coming out for this?

The DHCP issue will be fixed in the next beta build that we're testing now and then it will be released to the beta group.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:27 AM, Rick Froetsch said:

The other issues we've been having are: 

• intermittent drops throughout the day (complete loss of WIFI signal for all connected devices, hardwired devices still ping out fine during these drops)
  • even when indoors and with good signal, many apps on iPhone/android won't fully load; as soon as you turn off WIFI and go cellular, they instantly finish loading

Just a number of usability issues which non of your customers should need deal with. Again, personally, I bought this so I could have some enterprise-like features without needing to spend much time with it. Like a mechanic that drives a beater because he has no time to work on his own vehicle, as he fixes dozens of other peoples every day, I wanted a solution that was plug, setup and forget -  I want an easy button for home. It's super-unfortunate I'm spending more time with this and not less.

I had the same problem, the only thing that worked was separating the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks (don't use the same name). Ever since I've done that wireless performance and stability have been quite good. I agree in general with your Dumaos complaints though