R2 and BT Smart Hub guidance

One Pint Johnny

Hello, hope this is the right place for this but I'm looking for some guidance please. I did search but nothing came up which guides me in setting up the R2 with the router/modem combination.

I have a generic BT Smart Hub, and while you cannot set this in bridge mode, do you have any suggestions to ensure I don't have any conflicts between the two routers and effecting the connection. The user guide suggests that the "modem/router", which sounds like to me a standard combination hub would connect fine with no issues. Is my understanding right, or would you suggest any further guidance in the R2 working flawlessly with the BT Smart Hub?

Thanks for any help, it is appreciated.

You'll need to log into your BT Smart Hub & go into it's advanced settings, You need to look for something called "DMZ" - It's normally found on the Port Forwarding page

You'll need to scroll through a list of devices connected to the smart hub, select Netduma R2 or it's mac address, tick the DMZ box & Apply.

This will stop the Smart hub's firewall from interfering with your Netduma or causing "Double-Nat" issues.

Awesome, thank you for the advice. The user guide suggests to disconnect all devices when initially setting up the R2, for example in my case the smart hub, while only ensuring the R2 is connected via Ethernet, then connect my devices to the R2 as normal. Turn off the WiFi on the smart hub and solely use the wifi/Ethernet on the R2.

Or would you recommend leave current configuration until I add the R2 to the Smart Hub DMZ, then move over the connected devices to the R2 etc?

Thanks for the advice, although I cannot find the NetDumaR2 in the device list nor its router IP, however I could find the WAN IP which matches up the the IP found in the NetDuma OS. This is now added to the DMZ. I found the WAN IP, in "system information" > "Network Status"

Would this be fine?

• 2 years later...

Hi I have just set up my r2 since moving and getting full fibre and just checking is it safe to put my BT smart hub 2 in dmz? I read somewhere that it's more for testing and not a long term solution?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Boom said:

Hi I have just set up my r2 since moving and getting full fibre and just checking is it safe to put my BT smart hub 2 in dmz? I read somewhere that it's more for testing and not a long term solution?

You would put the R2 WAN IP (found on the R2 System Information page) into the DMZ on the BT Hub. It is safe to do as the R2 has its own firewall.

• 8 months later...

I just ordered an R2! cannot wait to test it out.

im on BT fibre, so im currently using a tplink n600 modem/router.

Im hoping i can use this as the modem and then the R2 for the router management.

anybody know how to setup the tplink to work with the r2? in the meantime ill hit youtube in the hope theres a video somewhere.

cheers!

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, tedrodgers said:

I just ordered an R2! cannot wait to test it out.

im on BT fibre, so im currently using a tplink n600 modem/router.

Im hoping i can use this as the modem and then the R2 for the router management.

anybody know how to setup the tplink to work with the r2? in the meantime ill hit youtube in the hope theres a video somewhere.

cheers!

You can do that, see if the TP has a modem or bridge mode, if so set to that, otherwise you'd have to copy the WAN IP from the R2 System information page and enter that into the TP DMZ. Then disable the TP WiFi.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can do that, see if the TP has a modem or bridge mode, if so set to that, otherwise you'd have to copy the WAN IP from the R2 System information page and enter that into the TP DMZ. Then disable the TP WiFi.

image.thumb.png.a2229d6fac6526b78e0f0819bc5716a4.png

might be this....ill have a play around and post here if i do get it working incase it helps anyone else.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, tedrodgers said:

paid for next day delivery....DHL ran out of time and failed to deliver it ..gutted. they better turn up tomo, although im not holding out hope on a saturday.

Ahh sorry to hear that, DHL are usually very reliable