R2 Router Reboot Frequency_ver 3.0.123

major masingil

Is there a recommended period of time when we should automatically reboot the router?  I had my R2 in service for less than 1 week before I had to do a reboot.  It seemed to be working fairly well on everything except our smart TV.  Even with Adblocker off, almost all of my TV apps were negatively impacted. Most just took maybe 10x longer to load and open as they did with my previous router.  I'm not trying to exaggerate for effect.  The Apps took noticeably longer to load. Some took so long (over a minute) I had just about given up on them, but they ended up loading and working. With the other router they just loaded with basically no delay. After the apps loaded, I did not have any problems with buffering or anything while we were streaming. This past  Friday night the issue culminated in having to reboot the router in order to attempt to get the TV to work.  No matter what I did with Adblocker (on/off, paused), I could not get Samsung TV Plus to load.  I even reset the TV and reloaded all my apps. None of those troubleshooting processes had any effect on Samsung TV Plus. It just would not work with the R2 in the mix. I also followed steps on Samsung's support page for this issue.  I go and plug my old router back in, and everything works perfectly. I really wish I could use the R2, but sadly I don't think it's ready for primetime. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I don't think we should have to reset our router once a week or fight with it to watch TV.  If Adblocker is turned OFF what does it seem like it's still causing issues?  If we click "save" in our network settings, why are the settings saved when we return to the Rapp?

I'm not sure if the condition I am about to describe would have an effect on the router's functionality, but the night I decided to reboot the router to see if I could get my TV to work:

I had left the R2 GUI Open, and it timed out while I was away.  We returned home from dinner and tried to watch TV. Nothing was working on the TV so, I thought we may be having internet issues. We weren't. I stuck up for the R2's abilities as long as I could with my wife, but I finally had to concur that maybe a reboot was necessary.  Before the Reboot, we could still access the internet through other devices, but not streaming TV. I rebooted the R2 using the GUI command, and let it warm up a bit.  Then I attempted to watch TV again.  It would not load any TV apps. I unplugged the R2, plugged my old router back in and voila everything worked fine.  Now I can't even justify placing the R2 back in action until we have some updates on the firmware.  I appreciate what Netduma is doing for gamers.  I want the R2 to work, but it's unreliable at this point. Unfortunately with the way people rely on their internet and routers these days, having glitchy hardware is not conducive to harmonious home life.

• Administrators

It's very odd you're having this behaviour with just a single device. How did you turn off the Adblocker, was it for the whole network or the specific device? If the latter how did you do that? What is your exact physical setup? If you put the TV in the DMZ does it work? If you disable QoS fully from the Congestion Control option menu does it work?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's very odd you're having this behaviour with just a single device. How did you turn off the Adblocker, was it for the whole network or the specific device? If the latter how did you do that? What is your exact physical setup? If you put the TV in the DMZ does it work? If you disable QoS fully from the Congestion Control option menu does it work?

Adblocker was turned off at the device level as well as for the entire network. I didn't really see a difference in TV app response under either method. The app always takes a significant time to load when compared to my other router. On the night I had to reboot, Adblocker was off at the device level. When selecting the device level option to turn off adblocker, I used the "Disable" feature from the drop-down menu.  You should note that Samsung TV Plus is an app similar to a regular cable TV service.  It's built in to the TV.  I could see that it appeared as if the adblocker was disabled because I was no longer seeing any blocked packets on the TV entry.

My network set up  -  ONT(Verizon Fios Modem) > R2>Network Clients.  The TV is connected to a Netgear Smart switch via Ethernet cable. The Netgear switch has it's DHCP turned off and is connected to one of the ports on the R2 via Ethernet cable.  Both channels of the R2's Wifi are disabled.  I am using a Ubiquiti AP for 2.5 and 5 ghz wifi. The Ethernet cable connecting the switch and the R2 passed a basic Ethernet cable tester test. All speed tests and Benchmark tests were consistent with what I'm being provided with by my ISP.  100/100 Up/Dn Fiber connection.

I did not place the TV in the DMZ as a troubleshooting method. I did not think of it at the time, and now I am using my old router. EdgeRouter X 

QOS is set to "Never" unless I am gaming.  In this situation QOS was off every time I was troubleshooting the TV.

I just remembered that when I was checking for internet connectivity when the TV apps weren't working, I was using my phone which has a 4G signal.  Its completely possible that the entire network was down when the TV apps wouldn't work.  It doesn't change the fact that the R2's Reboot did not fix the issue with the TV. 

• Administrators

Okay very interesting you're using switches/APs to connect the devices to the router. Would you be able to test a direct connection either ethernet or WiFi to the R2 and see if it behaves the same? Also for QoS completely disable it in the option menu otherwise it still might be interacting with the data packets.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay very interesting you're using switches/APs to connect the devices to the router. Would you be able to test a direct connection either ethernet or WiFi to the R2 and see if it behaves the same? Also for QoS completely disable it in the option menu otherwise it still might be interacting with the data packets.

I'll hook the TV directly to the router via Ethernet and disable QoS using the method you advised.  I'll let you know.  Won't be until this weekend probably.