Where is VLAN setting?

CoolerEra

Dear Netduma team

I have received Netduma R2 and setup done but the problem is no vlan setting.

Because my modem is Chorus ONT only vlan support and it does not support DHCP, Static and PPPOE

I do have XR500 with vlan setting on, it works perfectly well. I have to use XR500 for now.

I remember Netduma R1 old firmware (1.03.6j), it does have vlan setting compare to Netduma R1 (DumaOS 2) which is removed.

So I'm requesting to netaduma team,  please add vlan setting.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Hi CoolerEra, thanks for purchasing the r2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We will implement VLAN feature next week. Can you put the r2 behind a router with VLAN in the meantime ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:01 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry for the delay, I've asked for an update. If you don't hear anything by Tuesday please post here and I'll try to escalate it.

Still nothing unfortunately fraser.

• 2 months later...

+1

pppoe with vlan if is basic functionality that 20€ devices made 10+ years ago have

i didn’t know about it being unusable with most vdsl providers before buying

how many days I’ve got to send it back if bought on netduma’s store? Thanks

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Kronos-619 said:

+1

pppoe with vlan if is basic functionality that 20€ devices made 10+ years ago have

i didn’t know about it being unusable with most vdsl providers before buying

how many days I’ve got to send it back if bought on netduma’s store? Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for letting us know you'd like/need this feature.

You can see our return terms here: https://netduma.com/terms/

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for letting us know you'd like/need this feature.

You can see our return terms here: https://netduma.com/terms/

Thanks for the fast answer!

Sorry but to be completely honest I never encountered a single router with pppoe wan capabilities that lacks vpn id settings, so I’m considering this more like a bug than a missing feature.

This said

I’m still on time so I’ll wait, but seen that a major update just came out, I’ll dubt this bug will be fixed inside my return window.

So I have 2 options

- return it

- wait that it’ll be solved while using a workaround - not talking about giving us a certain date, but was your feedback from the devs more like “we’ll totally fix this someday” or more like “maybe we’ll look into it someday”?

Speaking about temporary workarounds, there’s a second problem there. I’m trying not using the standalone modem I bought and using the R2 behind the ISP modem/router (Vodafone powerstation) - static nat pointing to the R2, firewall/upnp/wireless disabled and the only device connected is the R2.

The added ping is negligible, and I’m not getting double nat issues, so it could be a long term workaround, BUT even with QoS on and a conservative 70/30 percentage limit over a 80/20 fttc mixed fiber connection, i got random Ping spikes and disconnects. Sparse but disruptive. Between those events the ping is usual, and the jitter is negligible even under HEAVY load (and that’s the reason I bought the R2, reduce jitter under load). Then, I get random 1s to 5+s lag and random disconnects.

Rebooting both routers seems to temporarily fix the issue.

Until now, using a dedicated modem and an old dd-wrt router with fq_codel enabled, bufferbloat was ok and I never had those spikes, so I think it’s one of the two following reasons:

- an R2 bug (like a slow memory leak that requires it to be rebooted every x hours) - are random spikes and disconnects a known issues of the second-last firmware? PPPoE wouldn’t solve this

- incompatibilities within the two routers chain  - like the first one that should not buffer, but somehow does, causing bufferbloat not addressable by the R2 - if that’s the case, PPPoE VLANs are required, to attempt to solve this 

Waiting for an opinion of yours, happy to help you troubleshoot this, if more feedback is needed

• Administrators

@Kronos-619 I do understand your point of view, it's not a bug as that is an issue with an existing feature but I appreciate the need for it would make you say that. 

So the lead developer Iain posted above that they would definitely be implementing this - the timeline was very optimistic but I still believe they will be doing this as soon as they can. That being said I can't promise you that it will be implemented within a certain period of time. 

Where are you seeing those spikes/ping recorded exactly, Benchmark, Geo-Filter ping etc? The disconnects, is this across all devices wired/wireless? Does the connection restore itself?

Disconnects are being looked into at the moment yes, random spikes have not been declared an issue as this is usually on a per person basis and resolved via settings. Very happy to continue to help with the connection issues if you wish to keep the R2 as opposed to returning and waiting for VLAN to be implemented.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@Kronos-619 I do understand your point of view, it's not a bug as that is an issue with an existing feature but I appreciate the need for it would make you say that. 

So the lead developer Iain posted above that they would definitely be implementing this - the timeline was very optimistic but I still believe they will be doing this as soon as they can. That being said I can't promise you that it will be implemented within a certain period of time. 

Where are you seeing those spikes/ping recorded exactly, Benchmark, Geo-Filter ping etc? The disconnects, is this across all devices wired/wireless? Does the connection restore itself?

Disconnects are being looked into at the moment yes, random spikes have not been declared an issue as this is usually on a per person basis and resolved via settings. Very happy to continue to help with the connection issues if you wish to keep the R2 as opposed to returning and waiting for VLAN to be implemented.

That’s enough for me, thanks for the honest and detailed feedback. If it’ll be looked at I’ll keep it and wait. Thanks.

I’ve also updated to .179 and did a factory reset so I’ll have a few coming benchmarks in the next days.

I’m talking about disconnects from the game servers (CoD MW and Warzone on PS4) - PS4 is connected over 2.4GHz and I’ll troubleshoot running a cable, but the channel is not crowded (no other APs show up on inssider) and with the other access points WiFi was not the culprit so I’m confident that it’s not external interferences. Usually it restores automatically but sometimes all the network goes down and requires a reboot.

Please mind I’m actually setting it up in my brother’s house so I’m comparing the benchmarks to his previous setups:

Vodafone Powerstation (ISP router without significant QoS features) - stable until bufferbloated (bottleneck on wan, not on WiFi) then lots of small packet drops and a noticeable amount of jitter, as expected

dd-wrt on older router that I installed - htb+fq_codel - pppoe through dedicated bridged modem - very stable and no issues whatsoever with a respectable 8-10ms jitter under heavy load, but no hardware offloading so the throughput was too limited, and changing settings was a nightmare for him so I had to continuously log in remotely to change his settings. This, and a few too much quick packet drops - even with low jitter stable for days.

R2 - Having me previously tried the r9000 netduma version, I know the GUI is so user friendly, and he doesn’t need extenders or anything particular just one AP, so the R2 on paper was the single best AIO switch/router/AP for his needs fullstop. Running with very conservative QoS sliders (70/30, the auto setup results were 75/70 but too much erratic) the connection is VERY stable (one of the best jitters under heavy load I’ve personally experienced and I’ve been through this a lot on my job, less than 5ms jitter with 3ms average, so it’s very promising) but every 10/15 minutes or so he is experiencing BAD spikes he never experienced before, I’m talking about 1 to 5 whole seconds with all indicators (lag, packet drop) showing up red, sometimes (1 in 20 times approx) followed by the CoD server kicking him out.

Setup is stock with those changes (in brackets the changes made after the .179 update that I’m still waiting a feedback on)

-UPnP disabled for security reasons and port forwarding implemented manually

-Reserved dhcp lease with 12h standard lease time (168h lease time)

-QoS enabled when high priority traffic detected with 70/30 sliders, and duma classified games priority enabled - PS4 is automatically recognized as console and HPT is correctly being detected when the ps4 is connected, at least that’s what the GUI is telling me - no changes disabling classified games and manually putting the console as high priority so I reverted to stock being it more versatile

- (1492MTU)

- DPI scheduler (flower) reserving 40% DL and 40%UL to gaming with bandwidth sharing active. (20/40, hoping to reduce it when stable)

- Geofilter disabled atm (planning to enable it when the rest is stable)

After updating to .179 and setting all up, the situation was worse (the R2 even forgot the QoS settings after the first reboot) but after two reboots of all the short chain (isp router - R2 - ps4) it looks promising, no spikes during the initial game, so I’m waiting for a full gaming session feedback tomorrow.

• Administrators

Thanks for all the information. How do you have Congestion Control set to Always or Auto Enable?

I would suggest experimenting with Congestion Control on Always to find what the best percentage is that lowers the Ping Under Load test as much as possible in Connection Benchmark.

Personally I'd suggest you reset distribution on Bandwidth Allocation, it's not really needed in this scenario - gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all and Traffic Prioritization will be putting it ahead of the network queue.

like is the subject of the vlan. I am using the fiber of orange vlan 832 priority 0. Can I use it with the netduma R2 or do I have to wait for the update? I ask this because today I made the purchase of a router R2 but I need to use it as the main one.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:57 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for all the information. How do you have Congestion Control set to Always or Auto Enable?

I would suggest experimenting with Congestion Control on Always to find what the best percentage is that lowers the Ping Under Load test as much as possible in Connection Benchmark.

Personally I'd suggest you reset distribution on Bandwidth Allocation, it's not really needed in this scenario - gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all and Traffic Prioritization will be putting it ahead of the network queue.

Auto, but I got the same results with always on.

Ping is plotted good with the slider on 70 but I’m using a lower value (30) to isolate eventual ISP fluctuations.

Part of the problem is solved, anyway:

With the cable he got way less problems he told me, so surely part of the problem was the 2.4g connection.

inssider doesn't show other ssids on its 20mhz band so I’m surprised, but it should be heavy interferences - I’ll bring one of my antennas and I’ll do a spectral analysis the next time I’ll go there.

During the next days if there are no more issues I’ll call it solved.

May I ask why could it be better not to touch the BA flower, to better understand how dumaos works? I guess, approximately, that the packets go through DPI, then the scheduler allocates the bandwidth, then it goes into the related smart queue and gets dealt based on priority - with high priority bypassing anything except the limiter. Am I right?

If that’s so, enabling/disabling the BA should not affect gaming at all. Would it be beneficial to turn it off instead?

Thanks

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Locura1240 said:

like is the subject of the vlan. I am using the fiber of orange vlan 832 priority 0. Can I use it with the netduma R2 or do I have to wait for the update? I ask this because today I made the purchase of a router R2 but I need to use it as the main one.

You wouldn't be able to use VLAN on the R2 currently no sorry. If you have another router you could use to handle VLAN then you could put the R2 behind that and use it as the main device.

@Kronos-619 we are continuing to make improvements to the WiFi so probably why it's not performing too well at the moment. The only reason I say to leave it as is is because unless you really need set bandwidth say if you're streaming to Twitch for example then allowing them all to share bandwidth as and when needed will be fine as Congestion Control will eliminate any local congestion and traffic prio will bypass the network queue. Keep share excess on but you can reset distribution.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You wouldn't be able to use VLAN on the R2 currently no sorry. If you have another router you could use to handle VLAN then you could put the R2 behind that and use it as the main device.

@Kronos-619 we are continuing to make improvements to the WiFi so probably why it's not performing too well at the moment. The only reason I say to leave it as is is because unless you really need set bandwidth say if you're streaming to Twitch for example then allowing them all to share bandwidth as and when needed will be fine as Congestion Control will eliminate any local congestion and traffic prio will bypass the network queue. Keep share excess on but you can reset distribution.

but will this option be implemented in R2?