Network Help

al1manu7

Hi,

i bought the XR500/EX2200 bundle. how would i set it up to make the ex2200 an AP connected to the virgin media router?

when i set up the EX2200 connected to the virigin media router it doesnt work as an AP but will work set up as an extender, the extender only connects to the XR500 though which is in a different room so doesnt get the 5ghz connection.

the current set up is the VM router is connected to the XR500 in different areas of the house and the EX2200 is connected to the XR500 as an extender. i want to change this to make the EX2200 connect to the VM router as an AP. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Let’s start fresh, normal you would have the virgin router in bridge mode and the the xr500 connected to that. From there you then connect the extender via wire and set up as an access point.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It would be better to keep your current setup as if you were able to do that then the QoS on your XR500 would not be as effective. Is there a specific reason you'd prefer it this way? Maybe we can think of a better alternative.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It would be better to keep your current setup as if you were able to do that then the QoS on your XR500 would not be as effective. Is there a specific reason you'd prefer it this way? Maybe we can think of a better alternative.

I would prefer the ex2200 to run as an AP so it can have better speeds currently it gets speeds of 50-100 on my phone but when connected directly to the router i can get speeds of 200+ on my phone. Also upgraded to gig1 so would like to take advantage of that :)

19 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Let’s start fresh, normal you would have the virgin router in bridge mode and the the xr500 connected to that. From there you then connect the extender via wire and set up as an access point.

So connect the xr500 and vm router and do the set up, then connect the vm router and ex2200 and do the set up? because what i done was set up the xr500 and vm router then connect the xr500 and ex2200, then done the set up. is that why i wont connect as a AP?

6 minutes ago, al1manu7 said:

So connect the xr500 and vm router and do the set up, then connect the vm router and ex2200 and do the set up? because what i done was set up the xr500 and vm router then connect the xr500 and ex2200, then done the set up. is that why i wont connect as a AP?

It that ex2200 wired or wireless?

Ok Netgear extenders to achieve best performance need the router to be in a DFS channel so that the extender connects Using the correct throughput and the WiFi uses the fastest throughput.
Are you using the Nighthawk app to set the extender up?

2 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Ok Netgear extenders to achieve best performance need the router to be in a DFS channel so that the extender connects Using the correct throughput and the WiFi uses the fastest throughput.
Are you using the Nighthawk app to set the extender up?

nope i used the website. mywifiext

2 minutes ago, Newfie said:

It should set up as a Access point. I would suggest you reset the extender and try again. It might be a glitch. 

i'll try again and update, thanks for the help so far also would the VM router be switched to modem mode or should i leave as is?

1 minute ago, al1manu7 said:

i'll try again and update, thanks for the help so far also would the VM router be switched to modem mode or should i leave as is?

In bridge mode you can’t use the extender connecting to the vm router 

1 minute ago, al1manu7 said:

i got the 4

Ok here’s the problem, you will not get the speeds with the xr500 and the ex7700 if you put the virgin router in modem mode. Virgin supply extenders to match that hub 4. Gut feeling says you might find the xr500 might not be the router for you if you want full gig speed.

• Administrators

I would try the following as it should be better performance wise:

• Virgin Hub in modem mode > XR500 > EX7700 in AP mode heres a link on how to set that up: https://kb.netgear.com/26078/Install-the-EX7000-as-an-Access-Point
  • Virgin Hub in router mode with XR500 WAN IP in DMZ (found in System Information on the XR500, I'd suggest this as I think Virgin Hub in modem mode is a bit iffy) > EX7700 in AP mode

59 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Ok here’s the problem, you will not get the speeds with the xr500 and the ex7700 if you put the virgin router in modem mode. Virgin supply extenders to match that hub 4. Gut feeling says you might find the xr500 might not be the router for you if you want full gig speed.

so i set up everything again. managed to get it to work with the access point i get speeds of 500mbps on my phone (wireless), however my pc connected to the xr500 (wired) gets around 400-500. i'm confused now 😕 i got gig1 today so when i initially set the router up it was fine getting speeds of 800-900 but now it doesnt go above the 500 mark any explanation for that?

6 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Turn off bufferbloat, QoS off and make sure you are on ipv4 then test again.

will try that. i also tried to connect the cable directly from router to pc and getting the same speeds. is it possible something is up with the ethernet cable?

15 minutes ago, al1manu7 said:

turned off both and got the same speeds 400ish. i'm assuming the cable might be at fault

Worth a go but is the XR500 new. If it is check it’s updated to latest firmware and then do a factory reset using the rear pin hole method at the back. This will help clear low level code.

set up again and test.