Unable to open ports

Satan1976

Hi Guys.

I cant seem to open my ports for modern Warfare. I have entered all the ports for my PC, and checked the ports with a port utility and none of them are physically open. The game also tells me that I have a Moderate NAT. I'm using the R2 with the Vigor-130 modem in Bridge Mode. fyi it was working fine on my XR300. 

ports.jpg

Sounds like you have a similar set up to mine.

1. Make sure you have the WAN  set up DMZ server to your pc IP address, MTU 1500 and NAT filtering on open not secured.

2. On LAN set up reserve your pc IP address. on the QoS reset the distribution if you have less than 2 devices connected, if you have more than 4 I suggest setting the pc to 50 and let the rest narrow down and set your congestion on always. 

3. Make sure on the device that is giving the R2 internet is set up with DMZ out to the R2 and firmware is updated as well. 

once you have these settings saved reboot or restart your entire set up and try playing MW again. Let me know if this working bud.

5 hours ago, irving said:

Sounds like you have a similar set up to mine.

1. Make sure you have the WAN  set up DMZ server to your pc IP address, MTU 1500 and NAT filtering on open not secured.

2. On LAN set up reserve your pc IP address. on the QoS reset the distribution if you have less than 2 devices connected, if you have more than 4 I suggest setting the pc to 50 and let the rest narrow down and set your congestion on always. 

3. Make sure on the device that is giving the R2 internet is set up with DMZ out to the R2 and firmware is updated as well. 

once you have these settings saved reboot or restart your entire set up and try playing MW again. Let me know if this working bud.

Thanks or the response.

I would rather not put my PC into DMZ if i'm honest.

As for making sure that the Vigor-130 has the R2 in DMZ.... how would i go about doing that? I don not see any options to do so in the setup screens.

One question I do have, is do i need the Modem to be running DHCP? And if my modem is running it, would that be what is blocking open ports? Sorry, i am not really up with running a separate modem, as I have always had a modem/router.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Satan1976 said:

Thanks or the response.

As for making sure that the Vigor-130 has the R2 in DMZ.... how would i go about doing that? I don not see any options to do so in the setup screens.

One question I do have, is do i need the Modem to be running DHCP? And if my modem is running it, would that be what is blocking open ports? Sorry, i am not really up with running a separate modem, as I have always had a modem/router.

As it's a pure modem you don't need to worry about DMZ or DHCP, it's running straight through to the R2. Could you try my Geo-Filter suggestion please?

28 minutes ago, Satan1976 said:

Thanks or the response.

image.png.dcea5919906b2e544f530c913c0b5bed.png

image.thumb.png.b809acbc76f8fd3f5802846ef4b95f36.png

I run the Nighthawk Netgear Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem (CM1200) multi-gig , with download speeds of up to 2Gbps Support for up to four public IP addresses. Works & supports all Internet speed tiers from XFINITY from Comcast, Spectrum, and Cox. Meets DOCSIS 3.1 specifications and is backward compatible with DOCSIS 3.0 networks. I have my XR700 connected to the Nighthawk and my R2 connected to the XR700. Expensive set up but ready for future speeds and upgrades ready. basically pays itself from not buying future devices down the road. Fraser would be best to take advice from. I do a lot of configuration myself and i had a moderate NAT type pm Modern Warfare. So I DMZ and checked everything following all through devices till I reached the R2. I rebooted my console, routers and cable modem resulted in the end a open NAT type and hit detection was insane. I won 2 Warzone match back to back. Also call your ISP and find out if they have any restrictions on your speeds the tend to have some sort of security till you call and ask to reboot-refresh your internet line coming to your home. Let me know if any of this helps bud. we will get through this and get this minor issue sorted out. 

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As it's a pure modem you don't need to worry about DMZ or DHCP, it's running straight through to the R2. Could you try my Geo-Filter suggestion please?

Fraser i think hes has a hybrid modem and router in one unit. Meaning he has the ability to DMZ host. I could be wrong but when I had Verizon modem/router I DMZ host similar set up to 1976 I don't like the name he STN for his profile so ill call him 1976 lol. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I have tried this, and it still says Moderate NAT. And the Modem does have an option to turn off DHCP though.... 

47 minutes ago, irving said:

Fraser i think hes has a hybrid modem and router in one unit. Meaning he has the ability to DMZ host. I could be wrong but when I had Verizon modem/router I DMZ host similar set up to 1976 I don't like the name he STN for his profile so ill call him 1976 lol. 

No, the Vigor-130 is a modem, not modem/router. but as i said above, the modem has DHCP turned on, so should this be on or off? This is my port check screenshot below.

ports.jpg

I have just got back from a weekend away, and tried turning off DHCP on the modem. There is no change. 

I have tried running just UPNP, and that has no effect. 

I have disabled UPNP and forwarded all the required ports to my PC ip address. This has no effect.

I have tried PPPoA and PPPoE on the modem. (I read that somebody using PlusNet had to use PPPoE) this made no change.

as far as giving a static IP, do you mean the modem giving the router a static IP?

Update:

I have just reset both the modem and R2. and set everything again. and i'm still getting moderate NAT type. and the Geo-Filter is not setup for the PC at the moment.

The modem is in bridge mode, with PPPoE. and has DHCP set as default. 

ports.jpg

ports1.jpg

ports2.jpg

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You said you've done PPPoE on the modem, do you mean you've entered these details in the modem or on the R2?

The modem has the option of PPPoA or PPPoE. 
the R2 has been setup via the wizard using the ISP login details.

I just replaced the R2 with my old XR300, and hey hey. everything is fine. 

So it has to be something in the R2 settings... but i'm doing everything the same.

123.jpg

56 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Looking at the specs for the Vigor it says PPPoE should be entered on the connected device so could you try that instead and remote it from the Vigor?

Sorry Fraser, can you explain that in more detail please mate. 

• Administrators

Sure so it sounds like you put the PPPoE details into the Vigor interface is that correct? Looking at the device information itself it says that PPPoE information should be input on the connected device (R2) so if that's all correct remove the PPPoE details from the Vigor and just make sure they're in the R2.

There is no way of putting those details into the Vigor. It’s just a protocol option to choose either one. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sure so it sounds like you put the PPPoE details into the Vigor interface is that correct? Looking at the device information itself it says that PPPoE information should be input on the connected device (R2) so if that's all correct remove the PPPoE details from the Vigor and just make sure they're in the R2.

@Satan1976 I love solving issues like this. When you change your router you also change your pc network firewall, can you check your pc firewall under both conditions of r2 and xr300 you may find that you have to add the game to the new network.

For me my r2 says network 2 when i hover over the icon in system tray and when i have my xr it just says network. so please check.

The quickest way to test this theory is to disable the firewall completly and restart your pc and try.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great thank you, can you enable UPnP & disable IPv6 in both WAN and LAN please then reboot the router and see if the NAT Status changes.

No change after trying that. I didn’t think you should activate UPnP if your forwarding ports too.