Not getting the ping I was expecting

hi there was wondering if I can get help with my ping please .

I was getting between 40 and 60 ping , when i do a speed test I've seen my ping lower at 27ms so I bought the night gear thinking it could achieve this since it has the geo filter and all that but from I've bought it my ping seems to be 50 60 slot which was a bit disappointing for me . I dont want to send it back as I've a feeling someone can help me 

Hello Tommy1987,

I see you're trying to get a better ping, I'm guessing for online games. Well that can be tricky, as no router can magically make your ping better overall. However in certain situations, some features can help though. Like if you're on a home network, with your internet being nearly maxed out often. Using a feature like QoS, can help keep one device from maxing things out, while keeping bandwidth reserved for a device you have given a "high" priority.

As for you mentioning speedtest giving you a lower ping, and mentioning something else giving you a higher ping. I'm guessing that "something else" is a game you're playing. Well here's the thing. Popular speedtest sites, have a ton of test servers, and they will auto select a server very close to you. With that you get a very low ping. However with games, even the most popular one's like COD. Even for the size of the USA, there's maybe only 10, or so, server locations. Which means, if you happen to live in a certain part of the USA, you might be a good distance from the nearest server. Which there's nothing a router can do to help that. As the router can't magically move these servers closer to you.

Also depending on your ISP, if they don't have good routing to servers, that can also make your average ping stay higher. Again something router can't help with. With geo filter, you can try moving the area you search for a server, away from the one you're connecting to, to see if maybe another nearby server, gives you a better average ping. Anyways I hope this helps you, if you have more questions, post them, and we will try to answer them the best as possible.

Very good detailed response above. I'll add my own comments.

The XR500 will allow you to select the best servers that are available, but you cannot create a server which doesn't exist. If there is no server with a low ping in existence, all we can do is choose the best of a bad lot.

All is not lost though, you could still try to improve your base ping. Using our QoS features, you can try to balance the usage of local network devices to make sure that your gaming packets always go first. We usually recommend these steps as a good starting point:

• Go to QoS, open the Anti-Bufferbloat side menu, put in your maximum speeds (best speeds you ever got during a speedtest on current connection)
  • Set sliders to 70% on both. We can adjust this later if needs be. Click "when high priority traffic detected"
  • Scroll down to Traffic Prioritization, add device, choose your console and choose the Games Console profile.

Now your games console traffic should be prioritized above everything else on your network.

18 hours ago, lilstone87 said:

Hello Tommy1987,

I see you're trying to get a better ping, I'm guessing for online games. Well that can be tricky, as no router can magically make your ping better overall. However in certain situations, some features can help though. Like if you're on a home network, with your internet being nearly maxed out often. Using a feature like QoS, can help keep one device from maxing things out, while keeping bandwidth reserved for a device you have given a "high" priority.

As for you mentioning speedtest giving you a lower ping, and mentioning something else giving you a higher ping. I'm guessing that "something else" is a game you're playing. Well here's the thing. Popular speedtest sites, have a ton of test servers, and they will auto select a server very close to you. With that you get a very low ping. However with games, even the most popular one's like COD. Even for the size of the USA, there's maybe only 10, or so, server locations. Which means, if you happen to live in a certain part of the USA, you might be a good distance from the nearest server. Which there's nothing a router can do to help that. As the router can't magically move these servers closer to you.

Also depending on your ISP, if they don't have good routing to servers, that can also make your average ping stay higher. Again something router can't help with. With geo filter, you can try moving the area you search for a server, away from the one you're connecting to, to see if maybe another nearby server, gives you a better average ping. Anyways I hope this helps you, if you have more questions, post them, and we will try to answer them the best as possible.

Thank you so much for your time to write all this very much appreciated 

7 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Very good detailed response above. I'll add my own comments.

The XR500 will allow you to select the best servers that are available, but you cannot create a server which doesn't exist. If there is no server with a low ping in existence, all we can do is choose the best of a bad lot.

All is not lost though, you could still try to improve your base ping. Using our QoS features, you can try to balance the usage of local network devices to make sure that your gaming packets always go first. We usually recommend these steps as a good starting point:

• Go to QoS, open the Anti-Bufferbloat side menu, put in your maximum speeds (best speeds you ever got during a speedtest on current connection)
  • Set sliders to 70% on both. We can adjust this later if needs be. Click "when high priority traffic detected"
  • Scroll down to Traffic Prioritization, add device, choose your console and choose the Games Console profile.

Now your games console traffic should be prioritized above everything else on your network.

Cheers pal I shall try out these ideas and take on board what's been said