Backup internet connection for homeworking

TurboBaron

Now then Duma fam, long time no speak, so I hope you're all keeping well during these crazy times !

With the outbreak of COVID in the UK I like many other people's working world has been turned upside down. From being predominantly office based I'm now looking forward to working from home for the forseeable future, which got me thinking about how screwed I'd be if anything happened to my internet connection (we're with Sky at the moment).

I was curious if anyone in here is in similar circumstances to me and whether you have a backup internet connection or some sort of solution to make sure you can stay online if your day to day ISP goes down. I know some colleagues who've had issues with Virgin and Vodafone during the lockdown and it's been a proper pain in the arse for them. I'm also in the position where because I work for myself, not being able to get online could potentially impact my ability to work - and if I don't work I don't get paid, so it's worth me giving some serious consideration.

Interested to hear what you techno wizards have in place !

On 5/27/2020 at 6:15 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

As above or perhaps you could buy one of those hotspot routers that provide WiFi by connecting to a phone network.

We do have the option of connecting via our mobiles which are on 4G, I'm not sure I've seen one of the hotspot routers you're referring to, could you link me to an example ?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Something like this: https://uk.pcmag.com/cellular-modems-hotspots/92610/nighthawk-lte-mobile-hotspot-router-att

It connects to a mobile network and has an ethernet port which would then allow you to plug the R1 into it.

Lovely thanks for that, I'll have a read now.