XR500 set local IPv6 DNS

Hi,

I tried to set a local DNS for my IPv6 connection under the Advanved -> IPv6 by using Auto Configure.
But if I pick Auto Configure, my router stops handing out IPv6 addresses to my LAN devices while recognizing its own.

So I am kinda stuck with Auto Detect which pick Pass Through and thus giving my devices an IPv6 address. But I am unable to pick my locally run DNS to block ads in this case.

Did I overlook anything?

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I tried all settings but none other than pass-through resulted in a working IPv6 connection for my devices behind the XR500 router.
The ISP router does use IPv6 on both LAN and WAN too, yup.

It's simply the lack of enforcing my own DNS that's missing with pass-through that is annoying me. My Speedport has that option locked down for "protection"... >.>

• Administrators

Your locally run DNS, is that connected direct to the router? I think because it's looking to the WAN to do this you may have to connect your DNS to the ISP hub and then input the IPv6 address it gets from the hub.

Hey, yeah it's running on my Raspberry which is connected via WiFi to my XR500.

It's more of a setting issue with the XR500 really, because I can set the DNS for my Windows PC to the Rasperry just fine and that works like a charm. But I have to do that on each device as the XR500 does not offer an option to enforce a specific DNS over IPv6 if I set it to pass-through. Might this get on the gimmick list down the line?

I managed to get an IPv6 DNS set with dd-wrt, but that router died and I somewhat miss that feature to block all the pesky little ads. 

I don't have an XR500 to hand right now to test this (working from home) but if there isn't a way to do this currently we'll certainly suggest it to the developers to be added in future. The Settings section of the XR500 is handled by Netgear so it's their domain. You might also consider checking IPv6 DNS settings guides for various Netgear Nighthawk routers as that area of the product will be largely similar across all models.