XR500 Factory Reset on Reboot

I've been meaning to message you guys about a problem I've been having with my XR500. For about a month now, my modem has been just randomly drop Internet and when I go into the modem login page instead of my dashboard. The first time setup starts and all my settings will be wiped. I've just been going though the setup and uploading a saved config. This has been happening about once a week since the end of February. Now it's progressed to the point where, if I even reboot my router either using a power button or uploading my settings iit goes back to the first time setup. I've tried pin-holing it and not restoring a config to see if there might be something wrong with it. But I'm not having any luck. I just got this router in January. 

• Administrators

Sorry, could you just clarify, is the ISP modem/router resetting to factory defaults or is it the XR500 that is resetting each time? How do you have the XR plugged into power? If using a power extender could you plug it directly into a wall outlet please and then reboot it, does it still reset?

The XR500 is resetting back to factory. I have the router and all my other networking gear plugged into a APC BN650M1 UPS. I don't think I can reach the outlet with just using the power cord. I probably would need an extension cord. It's in a basement with limited outlets. 

Edit: sorry I just noticed that I used "modem" instead of "router" in the first post. I work in tech support so I should know to be specific.

• Administrators

Do you know how long the lease the ISP router gives the XR is? Does it happen to be a week? On the ISP router make sure the XR has a static IP and then on the XR in Internet Setup switch it to use Static as well. If the issue is that it resets after the lease renewal which shouldn't happen anyway then that should resolve it.

I use Spectrum for my ISP. Modem is a Netgear CM600 modem which is a bridged modem so the XR500 is getting it's WAN lease directly from the ISP. The last time this happened was March 25th so 6 days ago. 

The least time looks kinda short from Spectrum:

Lease Obtained 0 Days, 8 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires 0 Days, 7 Hours, 14 Minutes

The problem doesn't seem to line up with that time frame.

So I was just looking at the logs and I noticed there's a heck of a lot of lines talking about DumaOS "marking devices". Here's a example:

[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.27 1 35., Tuesday, March 31, 2020 15:50:20
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.29 17 36., Tuesday, March 31, 2020 15:50:31
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.15 38 6., Tuesday, March 31, 2020 15:50:33
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.7 1 22., Tuesday, March 31, 2020 15:50:36
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.27 1 35., Tuesday, March 31, 2020 15:50:48
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.29 17 36., Tuesday, March 31, 2020 15:51:00
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.11 11 21., Tuesday, March 31, 2020 15:51:04

It's just over and over again. Is that normal?

Now it's saying a bunch of other garbage:

[DumaOS] Unknown cdevtype, Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:38
[DumaOS] Long call 'fw_restart' exception 'ERROR: Unknown field stack traceback: ^I?: in function '__new__' ^I?: in function '?, ^I?: in function <?:469> ^I(tail call): ? ^I?: in main chunk ^I[C]: in function 'require' ^I?: in main chunk ^I?: in function <?:261> ^I(tail call): ? ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk ^I[C]: ?' Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:38
[DumaOS] Unknown cdevtype, Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:40
[DumaOS] Long call 'fw_restart' exception 'ERROR: Unknown field stack traceback: ^I?: in function '__new__' ^I?: in function '?, ^I?: in function <?:469> ^I(tail call): ? ^I?: in main chunk ^I[C]: in function 'require' ^I?: in main chunk ^I?: in function <?:261> ^I(tail call): ? ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk ^I[C]: ?' Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:40
[DumaOS] Unknown cdevtype, Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:43
[DumaOS] Long call 'fw_restart' exception 'ERROR: Unknown field stack traceback: ^I?: in function '__new__' ^I?: in function '?, ^I?: in function <?:469> ^I(tail call): ? ^I?: in main chunk ^I[C]: in function 'require' ^I?: in main chunk ^I?: in function <?:261> ^I(tail call): ? ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk ^I[C]: ?' Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:43
[DumaOS] Unknown cdevtype, Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:45
[DumaOS] Long call 'fw_restart' exception 'ERROR: Unknown field stack traceback: ^I?: in function '__new__' ^I?: in function '?, ^I?: in function <?:469> ^I(tail call): ? ^I?: in main chunk ^I[C]: in function 'require' ^I?: in main chunk ^I?: in function <?:261> ^I(tail call): ? ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I/dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk ^I[C]: ?' Tuesday, March 31, 2020 17:17:45

• Administrators

The marking entries are normal, those errors however are not. They may be related to the issue you're having so thanks for providing them, I'll have to ask a developer to take a look at this.

So I was getting concerned because in addition to those error messages. My CPU was running constantly between 80-100%. So I re-applied the latest firmware update in case something got corrupted with the router and set things back up again. However, now any reboot wipes out any settings changes I make and since the router reboots when I try apply a saved config, I can no longer use that feature. Right after I hit "Restore" the router shows a progress bar saying that it's saving, but after the router reboots it's back to the first time setup with none of my config changes applied. I have to manually make all my changes again. I'm watching the logs and everything looks normal and I setup emailing myself the logs everyday @ midnight to see if I can catch anything odd. But not being able to keep my settings after reboots is not a great thing.

• Administrators

Whenever you do a reset do you always restore from backup? I'm wondering if there may be an issue with the config causing it to reset everytime you reboot, now you've set it up manually it would be interesting to see if it resets after any further reboots.

I will have to try a push button reboot when I'm done working today. But I want to say that I have had it happen when I didn't use a saved config. And I did reboot from inside the WebGUI yesterday, and had it go back to the Internet Setup Wizard and lost all my settings.  I first thought that my issue was that I was using a config that I made on my prior XR500 router. (This is my second XR500 router I replaced the first under Best Buy Protection Plan one because I was having wifi performance issues.)

I've only tried this latest version that's on the Netgear page (2.3.2.56). I can't remember if it came with that version already on the router or if it upgraded to it when I set it up the first time.

So I lost internet about 5:00AM this morning. I tried everything I could to try and get into the router and grab the logs, but the router was not handing out DHCP and when I manually set a laptop to what should be within it's scope, the router was not responding to pings either. I could not get into the WebGUI at all.  I had to power cycle it, which reset everything to factory so any relevant logs got wiped.  Since it was already hosed, I did test just a straight power-button power cycle and like predicted, it reset everything again and went back to the first time setup wizard. Once I was back online, I went a downloaded the .40 prior firmware as suggested and will set everything back up on that version. 

Guest Killhippie
On 3/31/2020 at 8:51 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry, could you just clarify, is the ISP modem/router resetting to factory defaults or is it the XR500 that is resetting each time? How do you have the XR plugged into power? If using a power extender could you plug it directly into a wall outlet please and then reboot it, does it still reset?

Nothing wrong with a UPS it supports servers which need clean power far more than a router. This model produces a simulated sine (Stepped approximation to a sinewave) which some power supplies from years ago dont like, but really it should cause no issue whatsoever,  considering you run a bang up to date iMac off a simulated sine wave UPS. This is a bit read herring I feel, as it offers protection that you just dont get normally. I use pure sine UPS models but they have to run motors for my equipment to keep my electric wheelchair and ramp in operation when I leave my home, I also have two sine wave models for my Modem, iMac, router printer etc plus PS4 pro Sky Q and 4k Blu-ray player, these are great devices and do not cause issues with routers. nor does the OP's model :)

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Nothing wrong with a UPS it supports servers which need clean power far more than a router. This model produces a simulated sine (Stepped approximation to a sinewave) which some power supplies from years ago dont like, but really it should cause no issue whatsoever,  considering you run a bang up to date iMac off a simulated sine wave UPS. This is a bit read herring I feel, as it offers protection that you just dont get normally. I use pure sine UPS models but they have to run motors for my equipment to keep my electric wheelchair and ramp in operation when I leave my home, I also have two sine wave models for my Modem, iMac, router printer etc plus PS4 pro Sky Q and 4k Blu-ray player, these are great devices and do not cause issues with routers. nor does the OP's model :)

I know, once I knew a UPS was being used I didn't push it :)

Guest Killhippie
Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

I know, once I knew a UPS was being used I didn't push it :)

Hope all is well with you Fraser and you and family and friends are all safe.

So I went to Best Buy today and exchanged the router. (Whoopee, Protection Plan). Just something I noticed that was different on this new router was a question right after accepting the EULA asking me to manually setup the Internet, use the wizard, or use saved settings. I never got this message at all when my reset problems would happen, it would just run me through the Internet setup wizard. I erred on the side of setting the router up from scratch and saving a fresh copy of my settings just in case there was an issue with them. Hopefully, this will take care of my issue. Also just in case anyone is wondering about how Best Buy returns work in the Covid-19 era, they will take returns curbside. It took me probably 5 minutes between parking and leaving with an exchanged router. My grocery trip to Wal-Mart afterwards took much longer. Thank you for the assistance, Frasier. Looking forward to the next fw update whenever that is.

• Administrators

Glad to hear you managed to get a replacement and sounds like the new one is already working better than the old one. Do keep us updated and let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

• Administrators
On 4/6/2020 at 2:31 AM, Aspect of Wrath said:

Ah this happened to me before as well and was told i might of pressed the wrong button, looks like im not the only one. 

Is this still an issue you're having?