Can I change my IP using Duma OS to protect me from dossers?

So basically I am a twitch streamer and recently have been the victim of ddossers online. They got my IP in game and of course my ISP were not particularly helpful so the only option I had to change my IP was to buy a netgear. The attacks stopped but have since resumed. The question i have - is it possible for me to change my IP every day through dumaOS? And if so, what do I change it to? I have little to zero knowledge about these kind of things and need all the help I can get 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Short answer - no. If you're on a dynamic IP with your ISP then sometimes unplugging the modem for a few minutes and plugging it in will give you a new IP. Changing the MAC address can change it very slightly occassionally but not enough that if they were really determined they could figure it out. Try the modem suggestion, if that changes then great you know you can do that. Either way I would suggest using a VPN to protect your IP but you would need to change your IP first before doing this otherwise it won't be effective. If you can't change it you'll need to get the ISP to do it.

I tried a few times to unplug the router and it wouldn't work. My IP changed once i bought the netgear and turned the ISP router into the modem. My ISP basically didn't help me at all. I thought buying the netgear would protect me from this. Extremely distressing as this is my job.

Also I was on a VPN after buying the netgear, so I am at a loss as to how they seem to have got my IP again 

• Administrators

Buying a router isn't a guarantee that it will change your IP, that isn't what the purpose of a router is so I'm surprised it changed at all. Did you have it set to disconnect from the internet if the VPN was booted offline? If not then that is how, have that enabled and if the VPN server goes down switch to a new one and your public IP won't be revealed. You have to unplug the actual modem from your ISP not the router and see if it changes.

You mentioned something about changing the mac address? I'm willing to try anything at this point. This is my livelihood and I am desperate. When I mentioned I was rebooting the router that's because what is now the modem was previously also the router before I bought the netgear. Believe me when I say this my ISP offers next to zero help. I'm in the UK yet whenever I call I am redirected to a call centre in India and the workers basically have no power to do anything for me. 

• Administrators

In the Internet Setup page try changing the MAC address by selecting 'Use this computers MAC address', apply then reboot the router and see if it is has changed. If it has then do not play online etc until you've used the VPN and made it block traffic if it gets disconnected. The ISP should at the very least be able to switch you over to a dynamic IP, what ISP are you with?

I'm with virgin media and I am on a dynamic IP but it never seems to change. The only thing that changed my IP was going from using the ISP router to using the netgear and turning the ISP router into modem mode. For the mac address its already set to use this computers mac address. Do I re apply that setting? 

What makes you think its definitely a DDOS and not simply a connection issue caused by virgin? I often see people jump on the DDOS "Wagon" as soon as they start to see packet loss and start to change settings when in reality its simply a connection issue caused by their ISP. 

Without revealing any personal information, the game i stream uses peer to peer servers and players are able to grab IPs, I have been receiving hateful messages on my social media etc from the people doing the dossing. 

1 hour ago, JojoPart3 said:

Without revealing any personal information, the game i stream uses peer to peer servers and players are able to grab IPs, I have been receiving hateful messages on my social media etc from the people doing the dossing. 

It’s not your IP address that they find you with, it’s more likely your user name. 

• Administrators

That MAC option isn't default so you must have changed it which is probably why your IP changed the first time. If you go here: http://192.168.0.1/?device_status&mid=Info it should show you what your public IP lease is (IPv4 lease time), once that timer hits 0 your IP should change. You should be able to contact Virgin and ask them to renew your IPv4 lease at the very least and that should change your IP. Let them know you require this for your work - it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, especially as most people in the UK are now working from home.