Port forwarding or upnp with a AP router

My set up right now is

Att fiber modem -> xr500 (PS4 off xr500)-> Asus router (in AP mode with xbox one off Asus)

Not sure why it's happening but I have DMZ off and upnp on Nat checked open. I mostly have always used Port forwarding (just like that way better) but I have my son's Xbox on a AP router that as upnp on), if I turn off upnp and trying using just Port forwarding his Xbox one says it can't find a upnp available and gives him a strict. If I use upnp it's find but it feels laggy. Right now I've got upnp on with some ports open for my PS4.

Is this set up fine? Or is there a way I can run just ports but have his Xbox go open?

• Administrators

Are you certain the ASUS is in AP mode as it shouldn't be using UPnP while in AP mode as the XR500 should see your sons Xbox as though it was directly connected to the XR500 and therefore any settings you make will affect all devices. I would double check the Asus is in AP mode first. Are you saying in WAN Settings you have NAT set to open instead of secured?

The Asus is in AP mode...Im not sure why I was thinking the Asus upnp was on..I can't even get into the asus router ..my mistake haha. And yes I'm at home now and the xr500 does pick up on it. 

Yes, I have it checked open instead of secured. 

So like right now if I was to go into my xr500 turn off DMZ and upnp and only ran my ports...and rebooted everything..the Xbox would read strict and on his screen it will say the Xbox can't find a upnp available. If I go back to the xr500 and turn the upnp back on..his Xbox goes to open with no problems.

• Administrators

What are the ports that you have forwarded? It can be very hard to get Open NAT on multiple consoles by using port forwarding which is why UPnP is usually recommended. What are the lag issues that you're experiencing with UPnP? Does one of you experience it or both?

Yeah I'm find with upnp..the ports I'm using are what it posted on here from ebrimmer and other guy. As for the lag..I mostly feel it..it's not like rubber banding lag more of like on COD and other fpsg games...the hits just don't seem to register

• Administrators

What's the average ping you're getting to the game? Are you using QoS and do you usually play at the same time or at different times? Are you using the Geo-Filter also? It's generally not advised to use UPnP and port forwarding at the same time in case there are conflicts. UPnP can sometimes be delayed in what ports are being used or not show ports that have been used but are no longer being used.

Depends on the game... COD sits around 25-30 using the Geo filter..fortnite servers are in my state so I'm always on that which sits around 15-20 ping. Since I have 1g fiber I haven't been using my qos sliders but I do keep it in qos in always with the sliders at 100% sometimes I play with it and put qos in never but in always @100 it seems better..could just be me. I was told on here when I got the fiber I don't really need to use the sliders since my internet is so high I probably won't have much congestion since I have nothing in wifi ever. I also don't want to cause any conflicts so I took my ports off and just using upnp and rebooted the router but won't get to okay until tonight. 

• Administrators

They are really good pings so you shouldn't be seeing an issue with those. You don't really need QoS you're right, see if disabling it fully in the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line menu makes it feel any different. I think it's probably the best ping you're going to get but let us know how it feels tonight.