Express Vpn problems

Joshwa

I have a Xr700 netgear gaming router and I recently purchased expressVpn. I downloaded the ovpn. file and installed it on the router and it works pretty good. The problem I'm having is that when I use the expressVpn checking tools on the website it says I have a dns leak. can someone please help me with this issue.

12 hours ago, Joshwa said:

I have a Xr700 netgear gaming router and I recently purchased expressVpn. I downloaded the ovpn. file and installed it on the router and it works pretty good. The problem I'm having is that when I use the expressVpn checking tools on the website it says I have a dns leak. can someone please help me with this issue.

Its an issue with the Hybrid VPN you need to change the router DNS to the expressVpn DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

Ok I did that and when I check it on the ExpressVPN tool is still says exposed but now it shows that it’s under a different service provider. Does that mean I’m good or am I still exposing information?

Sorry I don’t know much about this. I’m just trying to figure it out on my own. Express vpn told me that as long as my ip is protected I’m good. But from what I’ve read that an exposed dns means you are not completely protected

• 2 months later...

Any updates with the leak?  I am trying to set up Express VPN on my XR500. 

I have been testing on dnsleaktest.com and Express VPN.  When I use Express VPN's app on my Macbook Pro, my IP changes and there is not DNS leak.  The only problem is I can't use the DumaOS dashboard when using the app as a vpn service. 

I configured the Hybrid VPN with the .ovpn file and it does not work, even if I change my DNS to the two setting you recommended.  It shows connected and my username, but not the provider, county, city, or protocol.  It seems like my IP address changes, but there is a DNS leak if I use the two websites to test for leaks. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, wam22 said:

Any updates with the leak?  I am trying to set up Express VPN on my XR500. 

I have been testing on dnsleaktest.com and Express VPN.  When I use Express VPN's app on my Macbook Pro, my IP changes and there is not DNS leak.  The only problem is I can't use the DumaOS dashboard when using the app as a vpn service. 

I configured the Hybrid VPN with the .ovpn file and it does not work, even if I change my DNS to the two setting you recommended.  It shows connected and my username, but not the provider, county, city, or protocol.  It seems like my IP address changes, but there is a DNS leak if I use the two websites to test for leaks. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Use the DNS of Express VPN and that should resolve it. It will be fixed in 3.0. It won't show that information when using a custom configuration file. What do you mean exactly regarding VPN service? 

Express VPN has their app for Mac and when you connect through their app, you are unable to use the DumaOS dashboard.  

Two other problems I have run into.  When playing Fortnite on my XB1, it is constantly disconnecting once the match loaded.  I have that hardwired into the XR500 and open NAT.  I eventually got it working by restarting the router and disabling the Hybrid VPN.

Also, I have a wireless speaker (Naim Mu-So) that can load/play music from Tidal via wifi.  After 1-2 songs, the music will stop loading.  No problem when using Airplay or when I use my ATT modem/router.  However, the music quality is not as good through Airplay and this is a higher end speaker. 

Any idea when 3.0 will be released?  I mainly bought the XR500 since I game pretty often and was looking to improve my wifi speed/connection since I have 1gig up/down.  However, it seems like the trade-offs are not worth it. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 2.25.47 PM.png

• Administrators

Thanks for clarification, if you access via the LAN IP does it work? Not sure why having the VPN would cause that disconnection unless they've banned some VPN IPs which is possible, if you try some different VPN servers does it still happen? Disable QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu and see if that resolves the speaker issue. We're working hard on 3.0 at the moment and will be making beta announcements as soon as possible.

I have QoS disabled.  I have the same result if I connect to different locations and I am unable to access to LAN IP with the VPN connected.  How do I sign up for the beta? 

• Administrators

I think that makes sense as you're making a direct tunnel from the PC to the server, hence why if you do it from the router level you can still access. There is no official sign up at the moment but we'll let people know how to sign up.

• 3 months later...

Hi Fraser. I am also attempting to add expressvpn to the hybrid vpn feature. I am running DumaOS3 on new R2. I used the ovpn file as directed and  my status says connected so I believe that worked. However upon checking google my ip still is showing. I then disabled ipv6 (lan and wan) and changed wan network from upstream dns to dns override 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 even though the thread above said this wasn’t going to be necessary on DumaOS3.0. Perhaps I still need to add static IP addresses (suggested on another early thread)? If yes please send a brief description of how to do this and if it needs to be done for every device that I want protected by the vpn or only those devices where I want only certain types of traffic included/excluded. Also perhaps I incorrectly changed the DNS as I don’t really have a grasp on what any of this means. I only made it this far thanks to the forum and your posts so thanks for at least getting me this far!

DeathrayJ

• Administrators
12 hours ago, DeathrayJay said:

Hi Fraser. I am also attempting to add expressvpn to the hybrid vpn feature. I am running DumaOS3 on new R2. I used the ovpn file as directed and  my status says connected so I believe that worked. However upon checking google my ip still is showing. I then disabled ipv6 (lan and wan) and changed wan network from upstream dns to dns override 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 even though the thread above said this wasn’t going to be necessary on DumaOS3.0. Perhaps I still need to add static IP addresses (suggested on another early thread)? If yes please send a brief description of how to do this and if it needs to be done for every device that I want protected by the vpn or only those devices where I want only certain types of traffic included/excluded. Also perhaps I incorrectly changed the DNS as I don’t really have a grasp on what any of this means. I only made it this far thanks to the forum and your posts so thanks for at least getting me this far!

DeathrayJ

I've replied to your topic regarding this :)

• 6 months later...