Isp router to R1 how to setup?

Corbula

I'm trying to setup like this, modem, isp router, R1. 

The isp router is working, and I've tried connect one of the ports on that to the port 1 on the R1. 

What else do I need to change? I think it should be something to do with the dhcp range? 

On the support pages it just says to connect it like I have, nothing else. What am I missing? 

• Administrators

The better setup would be modem > R1 > ISP router. It depends what you're trying to do, usually all you need to do is put the R1 WAN IP in the ISP router DMZ and disable the WiFi on the ISP router. You don't need to do anything regarding DHCP.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The better setup would be modem > R1 > ISP router. It depends what you're trying to do, usually all you need to do is put the R1 WAN IP in the ISP router DMZ and disable the WiFi on the ISP router. You don't need to do anything regarding DHCP.

I had it that way but using the R1 with dumaOS and PPPoE reduces my bandwidth from 70mbps to 35mbps.

So I want the isp router handling the PPPoE and R1 everything else. 

So it doesn't matter that the R1 is 192.168.88.1 and the isp router is 192.168.1.254?

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Understood, no that doesn't matter. In that case what I said before is the best way to set it up in that scenario. 

You said modem - R1 - isp router. However as I said then the R1 would be doing the PPPoE and drastically reduce my bandwidth. Or am I missing something? 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Corbula said:

You said modem - R1 - isp router. However as I said then the R1 would be doing the PPPoE and drastically reduce my bandwidth. Or am I missing something? 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

all you need to do is put the R1 WAN IP in the ISP router DMZ and disable the WiFi on the ISP router. You don't need to do anything regarding DHCP.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is shown in System Information for WAN IP? Could you take a screenshot please?

I would but now it just says the site can't be reached so I can't access the R1 at all now. Not sure what's happened there. 

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is shown in System Information for WAN IP? Could you take a screenshot please?

So I accidentally turned of dhcp on my isp router and had to factory reset that but I still can't access the R1. 

30 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It all seems to be working now, I had to factory reset both which I did before but this time I did it with them both connected and it seems to have worked. 

Would you disable firewall, upnp, security on the isp router which is between the R1 and modem? 

• Administrators

Glad it's working now, it's not necessary to disable those options, if you're using the DMZ it will pass everything through to the R1 anyway. Make sure you do disable the WiFi though to prevent other devices accidentally connecting to it.

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2020 at 11:59 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad it's working now, it's not necessary to disable those options, if you're using the DMZ it will pass everything through to the R1 anyway. Make sure you do disable the WiFi though to prevent other devices accidentally connecting to it.

Hi Fraser, just checking this. I’m trying to put the WAN IP in the DMZ on my tplink router they I’ve set to bridge mode. It says I cannot as it’s not on the same subnet as the LAN. What am I doing wrong?

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, andybtsn said:

Hi Fraser, just checking this. I’m trying to put the WAN IP in the DMZ on my tplink router they I’ve set to bridge mode. It says I cannot as it’s not on the same subnet as the LAN. What am I doing wrong?

If you've got the TPLink in bridge mode then there is nothing you need to do in that regard!