MTU Error (Xbox 360) (R1 Original Firmware)

Every other day my 360 loses connection to Xbox live and I get an MTU Error when testing the connection. It prompts me to unplug both router and modem for 5 minutes the wait another 60 seconds before testing again. Sadly, this process and no variation of it, seems to work. The only thing that works is factory resetting the R1 (original firmware) I'm not sure why this is a reoccurring theme but it is quite annoying as I have to tell my wife to get off the game while I reset it AND we lose all our host filtering information. Also, there seems to be a lot of lag with an PS4 and 360 both playing at once. I don't understand why but without the R1 in the equation (using an switch) the lag disappears. So that pinpoints the R1 as the culprit. I've tried UPNP and portforwarding and atill... LAG. But you can't rage about lag if you can't even play online. 

It goes away when I use one of these two setups:

1. modem -> switch -> A. 360   B. PS4

2. Modem -> switch -> A. 360   B. R1 (then all other devices behind R1)

My isp allows 2 public IPs so that's kinda handy.

Weirdly, only my 360 and XB1 have issues when behind the R1 and no switch involved. But ideally, you shouldn't need a switch. It should only be the modem and router but that doesn't work too well. It never disconnects the PS4 during any of this.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is the model of your modem? Is it definitely a modem and not a modem/router? Have you changed any MTU settings on the console or the router at all? Do you have the Geo-Filter enabled when doing the test? If you do try disabling this and see if the test passes.

It's a Netduma R1. I got it years ago. We'll, considering the consoles work fine without the R1 or with an X4S router, I'd somewhat confident it's not a modem issue. The Xbox 360 doesn't allow for custom MTU values and I leave the MTU settings to automatic just to be safe. I haven't tried doing a connection test with it off when I'm getting the error, I'll have to try that next time and keep you guys posted. But if it completely kicks me offline while in a match then I'm not sure how the geofiler could cause a whole network connection to fail. As for the other information you've requested.

I got home and tried to play, MTU Error again. I disabled geo-filter and the test failed on the internet to Xbox live section instead of one step earlier. This time is said Live Connection error. I can't win. Lol. 

So I skipped the testing part when the connection failed and just signed in from the 360 dash and it worked ....

So basically, if someone gets kicked off of Xbox Live and the it says MTU Error, disable geo filter and sign into profile from dashboard. This seems to be a work around.

• Administrators

I mean what is your R1 connected to? Is it a modem or modem/router - the one your ISP provided you with and what is the model? How do you have the R1 setup with the ISP hub - is it in modem, bridge mode or using the DMZ? I don't see how there can be an MTU issue if this hasn't been changed. How is your console connected - is it via WiFi? If so how far away is the console from the router? Would it be possible to connect via ethernet or vice versa to see if the issue is still present?

The R1 is directly connected to the modem. I have my personal modem hooked up (SB6183) I don't have the HUB anywhere within the setup when the issue happens. The hub is ONLY involved as a last ditch effort to avoid the MTU Error. The error does not occur with the switch because the 360 has unrestricted access to the internet and the hub regulates both the R1 and my 360. But as I said, the hub isn't being used anywhere in the setup when the MTU Error happens. Also, I'm hardwired directly to the R1 with a CAT 7 cable.

22 hours ago, Krylicz said:

It goes away when I use one of these two setups:

1. modem -> switch -> A. 360   B. PS4

2. Modem -> switch -> A. 360   B. R1 (then all other devices behind R1)

My isp allows 2 public IPs so that's kinda handy.

Weirdly, only my 360 and XB1 have issues when behind the R1 and no switch involved. But ideally, you shouldn't need a switch. It should only be the modem and router but that doesn't work too well. It never disconnects the PS4 during any of this.

So based on what you're saying here... The R1 isn't even involved when the error doesn't happen?

I was imagining you were saying Modem > R1 >Switch > Consoles but you're actually talking Modem > Switch > Consoles with the R1 doing other stuff

So the R1 causes an MTU error by the sounds of it... Hmm... What R1 firmware version are you using?

Precisely, removing the R1 from the setup removes the error all together UNLESS I put the switch in-between the R1 and modem and have my Xbox use the 2nd public IP address. But that setuo is not really optimal because a switch isn't good at routing and so if someone starts downloading/streaming while I'm gaming off of the switch, ping can spike through the roof. When the network is quiet, it works fine. I upgraded the R1 to the DumaOS last night and so far so good. I'm not sure what version the DumaOS is that I installed last night from the email but I can look when I get home if that helps.