How Throttling Really works?

If I set sliders to 70 for example, this means all other devices get 70% & my console gets 30% of given speed, correct? 

Also, since my configuration is modem - Duma - PS4, Xbox, laptop, WiFi router all plugged into it........I should see that 70% of speed on my laptop, utilizing speed test. So, since this is the case, is it truly considered throttling speeds since I’m getting 100% total still but it’s just divided up 70/30? Or are the sliders truly cutting my overall speeds down to 70% of my overall bandwidth & the flower petal (OG R1) doing the Prioritization?

Im just still confused on how these all work together. Hopefully someone can take the time to give a super detailed response on how these work....I’d really appreciate it. 

Thanks!

• Administrators

That's incorrect, whatever the slider is lowered to that is the maximum amount of bandwidth you can achieve on any device. Local congestion/buffering/lag etc happens when you're using up most of your bandwidth at once thus making all your devices compete for bandwidth for whatever they are trying to do etc. By throttling your connection you're not allowing devices/applications/services to saturate your bandwidth therefore preventing that lag from occurring.

Anti-Flood/Anti-Bufferbloat is the general prevent lag/buffering feature, essentially allowing all devices to use the internet at once doing whatever they wish.

Bandwidth Allocation/The flower allows you to allocate bandwidth to specific devices (if you've throttled then your throttle percentage is effectively 100% of the flower). Generally share excess is enabled and that will allow devices to get more than their allocation should they need it but only if the other devices are not using all their allocation. However, if you need guaranteed bandwidth for the device, for example you're doing a live stream then you could disable share excess to ensure that device always has its' allocation if it's needed.

Hyper Traffic/Traffic Prioritization prioritizes packets and puts them ahead of the network queue. The network queue is what happens when you have lag, for example you'll have Netflix, gaming, facebook packets all stuck in a queue waiting to go out, this feature puts your gaming packets ahead of that queue 100% of the time. This means that jitter (variance in ping) and spikes (sudden jumps in ping) are essentially non existent.

Hope that answers your question!

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's incorrect, whatever the slider is lowered to that is the maximum amount of bandwidth you can achieve on any device. Local congestion/buffering/lag etc happens when you're using up most of your bandwidth at once thus making all your devices compete for bandwidth for whatever they are trying to do etc. By throttling your connection you're not allowing devices/applications/services to saturate your bandwidth therefore preventing that lag from occurring.

Anti-Flood/Anti-Bufferbloat is the general prevent lag/buffering feature, essentially allowing all devices to use the internet at once doing whatever they wish.

Bandwidth Allocation/The flower allows you to allocate bandwidth to specific devices (if you've throttled then your throttle percentage is effectively 100% of the flower). Generally share excess is enabled and that will allow devices to get more than their allocation should they need it but only if the other devices are not using all their allocation. However, if you need guaranteed bandwidth for the device, for example you're doing a live stream then you could disable share excess to ensure that device always has its' allocation if it's needed.

Hyper Traffic/Traffic Prioritization prioritizes packets and puts them ahead of the network queue. The network queue is what happens when you have lag, for example you'll have Netflix, gaming, facebook packets all stuck in a queue waiting to go out, this feature puts your gaming packets ahead of that queue 100% of the time. This means that jitter (variance in ping) and spikes (sudden jumps in ping) are essentially non existent.

Hope that answers your question!

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response! Some of this can seem overwhelming. 

So for the bandwidth allocation / flower, say I’m playing MW on PS4 and I have the wife streaming Netflix, would I drag the flower petal to give more bandwidth to the Netflix (70% for example) leaving 30% for PS4.......or the other way around?

I have fiber 300/300 so not sure I need any of this but just wanting to try some things. 

• Administrators

No worries, totally understand! The ? icons on the top right of each panel has a lot of useful information for each feature as well if you want to understand it a bit more. You wouldn't really need to do that as using Anti-Bufferbloat would allow you to both do that without causing each other to lag, likewise Traffic Prioritization would keep your packets ahead of Netflix in the queue. Though in theory yes if you wanted to do that more would go to the Netflix device rather than the PS4 as gaming requires very little - less than 1mbps. If it's just the two of you then that bandwidth is enough that you don't need to manually allocate bandwidth.