Anti-Bufferbloat Not Doing Anything

Hello, so I have a major bufferbloat issue. It's not even caused by my network. It's coming from an outside source(either my modem or the node I am on). Bufferbloat is a new term I have just recently been investigating. But, I believe it has been my issue with gaming for the past 3 YEARS. I just recently confirmed that I do have HORRENDOUS bufferbloat even if I am directly wired into my modem. Anyways, that's why I was ecstatic to find out a great perk to owning a NETGEAR Nighthawk XR500 is having the "Anti-Bufferbloat" built right into the QoS options! But, unfortunately, no matter what I do I can't get it to even take affect! No matter what setting or percentage I choose it simply doesn't change anything. I created a short video(sped up 3x) to show exactly what I mean!

I am very desperate for resolutions to my bufferbloat so ANY help is appreciated. I have had this issue for 3 YEARS as stated above and never knew the terminology for it. When I test on dslreports.com I get a failing score EVERYTIME no matter what. It peaks up to 1500 or even 2000ms while doing the DOWNLOAD phase. I have contacted my ISP and even am currently speaking with my dispatch supervisor, it's a hard thing to explain and he doesn't even seem familiar with it. I am hoping I can fix this issue with the "Anti-Bufferbloat" feature but I also would love any information and help to maybe get my ISP to fix the problem to begin with.

Can provide any additional information! The test in the video was done on WIFI. Thanks for your time in advance!

• Administrators

I'll need some more information, if you could answer these questions that will allow me to help you optimally:

1. What is your physical setup & ISP hub model? e.g. Modem > XR router
  2. Do you use PPPoE?
  3. What are the speeds you pay for?
  4. Have you changed the bandwidth speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat menu to what you get or have you left it at the default 1000/1000?
  5. Have you disabled QoS in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu?
  6. When you connect to the modem are other devices also connected when you do tests?
  7. If you do a speedtest.net test when connecting to the modem and nothing else using the network what does the ping say?

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'll need some more information, if you could answer these questions that will allow me to help you optimally:

1. What is your physical setup & ISP hub model? e.g. Modem > XR router
  2. Do you use PPPoE?
  3. What are the speeds you pay for?
  4. Have you changed the bandwidth speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat menu to what you get or have you left it at the default 1000/1000?
  5. Have you disabled QoS in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu?
  6. When you connect to the modem are other devices also connected when you do tests?
  7. If you do a speedtest.net test when connecting to the modem and nothing else using the network what does the ping say?

I have a Ubee-E31U2V1(docsis 3.1) modem provided by my ISP(Spectrum). I don't believe I use PPPoE unless it's a default config. I pay for 400mbs down and 20mbs up(best I can get here). I have adjusted my speeds in anti bufferbloat accordingly to my speeds(400 + 20). I will add that it's not obviously LITERALLY always that but when my connection is fine and hard wired in it will always hover over those speeds usually 420-460mb 21-23mb upload. QoS is NOT disabled in the bufferbloat menu. When I connect to the modem I assume you mean when I run bufferbloat tests directly into the modem? No other devices connected when I have received HORRENDOUS results directly into modem(that's why I think it's the modem or my neighborhood node). But no matter what way I test or if through router I am always getting immense bufferbloat.

Here is some speedtest info(just plugged directly into modem now and ran these now):

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/57597507

57597507.png

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8866984808

8866984808.png

Also, it's not just that the Anti-Bufferbloat feature isn't solving my bufferbloat issue it's not even limiting my speeds as it should either. It legit just doesn't change anything as if it's doing nothing. In the video I limited my Bufferbloat to 20% for both down and upload(which would be 80/400 down and 4/20 up) but as you saw nothing changed.

• Administrators

Could you disable IPv6 please, that will allow QoS to work which in turn hopefully will allow you to control the issue you're having. Once you've checked QoS works I would go through this guide, to ascertain the base level for your modem, then go through and saturate your connection as much as possible with downloads etc while trying different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to see if you can get your ping as low/stable as possible.

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you disable IPv6 please, that will allow QoS to work which in turn hopefully will allow you to control the issue you're having. Once you've checked QoS works I would go through this guide, to ascertain the base level for your modem, then go through and saturate your connection as much as possible with downloads etc while trying different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to see if you can get your ping as low/stable as possible.

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Went and checked and IPv6 is already disabled.

S3k94nc.png

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You were showing an IPv6 address before but now it's IPv4 so try and see if it performs any better.

Nothing has changed. I don't know how I could ever have ipv6 address if it's been disabled. I just ran more tests though and made a discovery. The anti-bufferbloat affects the speedtest on my phone and limits it but not on my laptop.

5 hours ago, Scott592 said:

Hello, so I have a major bufferbloat issue. It's not even caused by my network. It's coming from an outside source(either my modem or the node I am on). Bufferbloat is a new term I have just recently been investigating. But, I believe it has been my issue with gaming for the past 3 YEARS. I just recently confirmed that I do have HORRENDOUS bufferbloat even if I am directly wired into my modem. Anyways, that's why I was ecstatic to find out a great perk to owning a NETGEAR Nighthawk XR500 is having the "Anti-Bufferbloat" built right into the QoS options! But, unfortunately, no matter what I do I can't get it to even take affect! No matter what setting or percentage I choose it simply doesn't change anything. I created a short video(sped up 3x) to show exactly what I mean!

I am very desperate for resolutions to my bufferbloat so ANY help is appreciated. I have had this issue for 3 YEARS as stated above and never knew the terminology for it. When I test on dslreports.com I get a failing score EVERYTIME no matter what. It peaks up to 1500 or even 2000ms while doing the DOWNLOAD phase. I have contacted my ISP and even am currently speaking with my dispatch supervisor, it's a hard thing to explain and he doesn't even seem familiar with it. I am hoping I can fix this issue with the "Anti-Bufferbloat" feature but I also would love any information and help to maybe get my ISP to fix the problem to begin with.

Can provide any additional information! The test in the video was done on WIFI. Thanks for your time in advance!

Scott don't use dslreports. It's trash and won't do anything for your connection. It's very unreliable. Do what Fraser said and run pingplotter tests. It's more accurate and make sure your wired when doing so. I used to use dsl reports all of the time. But the results were very inconsistent.

So I found out why my laptop wasn't getting the effects of the anti-bufferbloat. It was being recognized as offline for some reason. I have the anti-bufferbloat in working order now and testing and optimizing it now!! I mainly want it to make my xbox ping lower/more stable, any tips or suggestions to optimize for xbox?

3 minutes ago, Scott592 said:

So I found out why my laptop wasn't getting the effects of the anti-bufferbloat. It was being recognized as offline for some reason. I have the anti-bufferbloat in working order now and testing and optimizing it now!! I mainly want it to make my xbox ping lower/more stable, any tips or suggestions to optimize for xbox?

Set your abb to whatever works for you. I have mine set at always when it's turned on. I would really run pingplotter if you want to stabilize your ping. Also I have spectrum as well and you might want to pick up this modem for $40 tp-link 7610. It is the best modem on the market and its charter approved. I've had one for 3 yrs now. I made a vid on it as well if you want to check it out  

• Administrators

Run the tests on the PC and get it stable there, that will carry over to the Xbox as well. Yes if you set it to that option it will only run when you're playing games. However if you download/stream a lot then it may be worth selecting always so you don't run into buffering issues etc.