Feature request: Allow a flat subnet or administration from WAN address

BasRaayman

First off, I'll admit that my setup is somewhat different from most people, but its something I would really like to see.

My current setup has a cable modem that I use to get to the internet. I've got a Cisco SG300 connected to it that takes care of all network relevant topics (vlan, dhcp, etc). In my setup, I have a PS4 and a PC that I have connected to the R1, and in the WAN network setting on the R1 I have a static IP given out by the DHCP server on my SG300. Since I can't use the same subnet, I now had to create a separate one that is managed by the R1 on the LAN side under network settings.

After setting a route back on the Cisco switch I can now at least configure the settings like geofilter and such from my devices on the other subnet. But I'd really like it if I could just use a flat subnet inside of DumaOS so I don't have to work with two subnets, or at least simply allow administration from the WAN address on the R1.

Would you at least consider that option for the upcoming version? If not using a single subnet, at least exposing the web frontend to the WAN address to make administration easier? :)

Welcome to the forum!

Is this something that you'd be able to achieve using static routes?

There's an option on the R1 to allow remote access to support. This opens up port 7777, so perhaps if you enable that option and then attempt to make a remote connecting using port 7777, you'll be able to remotely manage it.

The Netgear routers we support have an access point mode, which of course keeps the same subnet (and DHCP pool) as the upstream router, BUT this disables most of DumaOS's unique features. Lots of the features are designed around us having control over the whole subnet.

I'll give the port 7777 with support a whirl, that might already solve some of my issues.

As stated, after adding a route on the Cisco I was able to manage the Netduma, I was looking for an easier option. And while I appreciate that design is around the Netduma being in control, it simply doesn't have the options or power that I need for some of the other stuff that I do. I use it exclusively for gaming, and I only have a limited set of devices assigned to that. All of my other stuff lives in a vlan and I have set up some pretty tight controls and for example, run virtualized workloads that require a VLAN trunk. With the current feature set, it simply isn't possible for me to use the Netduma as my main network device, but I'm more than happy to state as I did in my original post that my situation might be somewhat unusual and not the norm. :) 

I appreciate the response though!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Very interesting usecase. It is mostly a gaming router so features like that we would consider to be quite niche, can't imagine the average gamer is doing that! That being said we are always open to ideas and if the particular usecase makes sense and we think that people will use it then we'll get that on the roadmap. As I'm sure you aware allocating development time to features that won't be widely used isn't a smart decision. A remote management option though is definitely something we could easily implement I should think!