Geo-Filter

Last time I did a factory reset was about a month ago, but it seems like even after taking these kind of steps, the bugs and issues still persist. Then the hassle of re-denying servers, adding friends back,  (because the geo-filter list is wiped) etc. gets a bit ridiculous. I've had to do this countless times since purchasing this router (almost 3 years ago) and the reward for going through all that makes it not even worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
40 minutes ago, Kahari said:

Can you guys please fix the "infinite load" glitch on the servers?? I can't ping to any servers and save or deny them..

Once you get into the beta let us know if you still encounter it as I haven't seen it on that thus far.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Kahari said:

Hey, I still haven't received an invite to the beta. It'a been about a week, so how long does it normally take?

It's entirely up to Netgear so there is no specific amount of time you have to wait.

My Geo-Filter is not working at all. I tried the method you said previously which was to power down the device, delete from the geo-filter, flush the cloud, re-add device etc. Still nothing is working.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started using 3.0, and I have a few questions about it. So in the ping map, it shows where low pings are as well as high one's. But what I don't understand is, my location  in the geo-filter is Indiana, but the lowest pings are in Washington and Oklahoma?  (See picture) That doesn't seem  right.

Weird Ping Readings.JPG

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Kahari said:

I just started using 3.0, and I have a few questions about it. So in the ping map, it shows where low pings are as well as high one's. But what I don't understand is, my location  in the geo-filter is Indiana, but the lowest pings are in Washington and Oklahoma?  (See picture) That doesn't seem  right.

Weird Ping Readings.JPG

They will be mislocated servers so that will help us correct them but also help you find the lowest pings even if mislocated so you can force them on the Geo-Filter.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators
13 hours ago, Kahari said:

I've noticed in the recent update that it no longer allows us to deny servers but only peers?  I can allow servers but no longer deny them?

You can still deny servers, the only servers we don't allow you to deny are the ones which have a white circle around them i.e. the ones we have whitelisted as they are required for online play and if you were to deny them you may not be able to get a game.

Ok. Another question..When I use the ping assist in the geo-filter, isn’t it supposed to only target the range I set it to? (ie: I set mine to around 23) it will put me in certain lobbies that are between 23-27 but sometimes it puts me with peers and servers that are over 80. My perimeter in the geo-filter  is very small around my area,  (around 300 miles) it’s not set to fast search and I don’t mind waiting to get into the best lobbies. However it still puts me in lobbies over my target range sometimes. Also according to my speed tests, my ping is actually a consistent 16 but I never get into any lobbies that low.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Kahari said:

Ok. Another question..When I use the ping assist in the geo-filter, isn’t it supposed to only target the range I set it to? (ie: I set mine to around 23) it will put me in certain lobbies that are between 23-27 but sometimes it puts me with peers and servers that are over 80. My perimeter in the geo-filter  is very small around my area,  (around 300 miles) it’s not set to fast search and I don’t mind waiting to get into the best lobbies. However it still puts me in lobbies over my target range sometimes. Also according to my speed tests, my ping is actually a consistent 16 but I never get into any lobbies that low.

Good question. Ping Assist filters servers according to your limit yes, however, it goes off the first ping response from that server - for example:

Ping Assist limit = 30ms
Server 1 = Initial ping 29ms = Server is allowed = Follow up pings 40ms / The server has already been allowed and can not be blocked from this point. Ping naturally fluctuates so it is very hard to be 100% accurate when using the feature.

Ping Assist also does not work within your radius - everything within your radius will be allowed regardless of the ping - Ping Assist gets servers outside your radius if they're under your ping limit (mostly). The way to think of it is really it is an addon - it ASSISTS the Geo-Filter, it's not really meant to be used as a hard ping limit filter. 

Speedtest pings show your ping to the closest speed test server/it can reflect your base ping i.e. your ping before you do anything on the internet. You still then need to be routed to the game server which is why it will always be higher than your base ping unless you're fortunate enough that you live basically on top of a server.

Quick question, I just received another modem (same model) through an RMA. I just set it up with my ISP provider. But my question is will I need to do a full reset with the XR500?

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Kahari said:

Quick question, I just received another modem (same model) through an RMA. I just set it up with my ISP provider. But my question is will I need to to a full reset with the XR500?

No you shouldn't need to do that