Hopefully next year's XR series will use this technology

Guest Killhippie
9 hours ago, zhuiguang2022 said:

OAM Vortex electromagnetic wave technology is more advanced and better than OFDAM modulation.

OFDMA is baked into AX ratification, you wont be seeing OAM Vortex in up coming routers, it may be better but the specs for AX routers are fine and wont be changed much now. Especially when OAM Vortex is more for Radar over short distances than routers :)

Guest Killhippie
On 12/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, e38BimmerFN said:

Will be interesting to see the next XR AX supporting router. Like to see it use same XR700 case configuration though, not the RAX case configuration. 

I hated the winged look but the range is amazing as it fixes the antenna in the correct position, although if they had made them Orbi coloured it would be better. Also its not another dead spider. Considering Netgear just gives Netduma hand me downs it may get a RAX80 but there is one that looks kind of normal which is the RAX40. With the RAX120 you have 8 antenna, so hidden and fixed makes sense. I get 86% coverage over 5Ghz for my OLED TV using the RAX120 vs 72% using the XR500 and a much higher data transfer rate too, the RAX look may be ugly but it works. I now have no dead spots and my router is far from central, so the wings do work.

Personally I think the XR700 is ugly , I don't like the red striped stuff, the R9000 looked better being plain, gaming routers don't need go faster stripes as far as I concerned. My RAX120 is ugly too, but performance is what counts and its insanely fast, best looking  router is still the R7800 I think, it always seemed to have better 5Ghz coverage over the XR500 too in my home but environment can effect that. I think though that was down to aerial design tbh.  There is no reason the XR500 has to have the outer aerials at an angle or for all of them to be shorter,  in fact vertical is better on a single floor generally, although once again environment and placement will effect this. I think they did that angled look for aesthetics so it looked extra mean.

Guest Killhippie
On 12/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, e38BimmerFN said:

Well it would be interesting to see NG do a Orbi gaming system. Hehe. 😋

Shame Voxel cant get in on the act, yeah that would be different, have you seen the price of their RBK852 Wi-Fi 6 units? £533 or $700

Guest Killhippie
13 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Ya I think DumaOS prevents any 3rd party modifications. 

Ya I have the RBK852. 😉

Yes it does, sadly. Whats the RBK852 like? I have the RAX120 both Qualcomm SoCs. I have to say I prefer the RAX120 to the XR500 in its present 1.3 configuration, also the RAX is just super fast and gives out a better signal over a wider area and with much faster data transfer rates. I imagine the RBK852 is blazingly fast, looks sweet too. Can you separate the SSID on Orbi routers? :)

It's not bad. Coverage is stellar of course being MESH. Speeds are fast. Thought I only have 1 AX supporting device currently. Yes, I do like the look and feet over the RBK AC series. Less feminine looking. 😉FW still has some growth and maturity as seems like it was with Orbi AC and other routers. 😉

For some reason NG keeps single SSIDs locked down on Orbi. Not sure if this has to deal with the MESH system and keeping this working with RBS or what. I see with with other MESH Mfrs as well. Users want separation of SSIDs however IMO isn't needed. We found that most of the SSID problems stem from lazy Mfr IoT setup software not allowing the mobile phone or pad to be connected to 5Ghz while the IoT connects to 2.4Ghz. These IoT Mfrs don't realize that 2.4 and 5ghz are on the same network. For some reason these IoT mfrs need the setup phone or pad to be on the same 2.4Ghz frequency during the setup thus users complain that Orbi doesn't allow for separate SSIDs. Blaming NG incorrectly, that they can't get there IoTs to connect. NG has given a disable SSID broadcast feature for each radio that resolves this. Ya think IoT mfr would know by now or at least let the setup phone or pad set up software to connect to either radio. Dual band phones and pads prefer 5Ghz over 2.4Ghz. Why not use either frequency. Beyond me why they don't. Anyways. Orbi is cool Works pretty good. My RBK50 is solid. Now Voxel supports it. Yay. 💞