Moderate Nat Type Issues

So I live in a Student Housing Complex and the Internet Uses APs In Every Apartment connected to The One Big Network. No Matter what I do the Router Or PS4 can seem to Get the Ports it Needs Open. Any Suggestions? Would Maybe Getting a Public IP Assigned from the ISP to My Router Fix this. 

I'm not sure if there's going to be a way to get open NAT if you're under an existing network. If they're using access points, does that mean that there's less than 250 devices connecting?

Or perhaps every building has it's own subnet and access points just extend the reach into each room.

Anyway unless you have control over the upstream network and can forward ports to your local IP address, you might be out of luck.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I'm not sure if there's going to be a way to get open NAT if you're under an existing network. If they're using access points, does that mean that there's less than 250 devices connecting?

Or perhaps every building has it's own subnet and access points just extend the reach into each room.

Anyway unless you have control over the upstream network and can forward ports to your local IP address, you might be out of luck.

I believe they have it setup to each building. And then access points in each apartment. I called the ISP that they have and they're not really too tech savy so they're not much help. Would them giving me a Public IP maybe solve this issue ?

I don't know if they would be able to give you a public IP, you might be able to contact the administrator of the network and get them to forward some ports to your specific IP address.

I don't think a device that's so deep into a local network can be given a public IP address but I might be wrong.

20 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I don't know if they would be able to give you a public IP, you might be able to contact the administrator of the network and get them to forward some ports to your specific IP address.

I don't think a device that's so deep into a local network can be given a public IP address but I might be wrong.

They said that they're able to give me one. But I'm not sure we're gonna see , if not then the port forwarding might be an option. What ports would be the most important because if I am able to get them to port forward they definitely won't do all the ports I need. 

Well it really depends what game you're wanting to play, and on what console. Let's say for example you wanted to play Call of Duty, you could get the relevant information on this page: https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games

If you were playing on Xbox/PS4, you could look up port forwarding specifically for those platforms.

--

If you're getting them to forward ports to you, you'll need to do the following first:

1. In DumaOS, go to System Information and write down your WAN IP
  2. In Settings > Internet Setup, put your details in as Static.
    1. Your IP is your WAN IP from the last step
    2. The gateway IP is usually your WAN IP but the number after the third dot is 1
    3. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    4. For ease we'll set Google as DNS. First DNS is 8.8.8.8
    5. Second DNS is 8.8.4.4, third DNS can be blank, or 1.1.1.1
  3. Now that you've got a static IP set up, restart the router and check that you can still get internet
  4. Now the administrators of the network will need to forward ports to your WAN IP, the same one from earlier

Now that your XR500 has access to those ports, you need to forward them again to your console.

The easiest way to do this would be to set a reserved IP for your console and then put that IP address as the XR500's DMZ.

--

Basically what's happening here is that they're opening a hole in their firewall for your router, and then you're opening a hole in the router's firewall for your console. You need to forward those ports along the entire chain from the ISP downwards.

7 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well it really depends what game you're wanting to play, and on what console. Let's say for example you wanted to play Call of Duty, you could get the relevant information on this page: https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games

If you were playing on Xbox/PS4, you could look up port forwarding specifically for those platforms.

--

If you're getting them to forward ports to you, you'll need to do the following first:

1. In DumaOS, go to System Information and write down your WAN IP
  2. In Settings > Internet Setup, put your details in as Static.
    1. Your IP is your WAN IP from the last step
    2. The gateway IP is usually your WAN IP but the number after the third dot is 1
    3. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    4. For ease we'll set Google as DNS. First DNS is 8.8.8.8
    5. Second DNS is 8.8.4.4, third DNS can be blank, or 1.1.1.1
  3. Now that you've got a static IP set up, restart the router and check that you can still get internet
  4. Now the administrators of the network will need to forward ports to your WAN IP, the same one from earlier

Now that your XR500 has access to those ports, you need to forward them again to your console.

The easiest way to do this would be to set a reserved IP for your console and then put that IP address as the XR500's DMZ.

--

Basically what's happening here is that they're opening a hole in their firewall for your router, and then you're opening a hole in the router's firewall for your console. You need to forward those ports along the entire chain from the ISP downwards.

So no luck with either of those possible solutions. Pretty much they told me that they don't block any ports and that all of their ports and nat is open.  They said that it would be an issue with my router. Is there any other possible solution?

8 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Oh well I suppose you could try putting your console in the DMZ of your XR500. It might just be a problem on your router which has nothing to do with the WAN connection.

I'll try that but what do you mean there could be a problem with the router? I see that the console opens the ports through UPnP but the game will still say moderate and Black Ops 4 Say that 3074 cant be opened. I also seen something about VPNs being able to open ports. 

• Administrators

So the console has an Open NAT? If so it may just be a misreading on the game caused by the Geo-Filter or a misreading by the game itself. Try disabling the Geo-Filter before booting up the game and seeing what it says then. A VPN would make it harder to have open ports if anything.

42 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So the console has an Open NAT? If so it may just be a misreading on the game caused by the Geo-Filter or a misreading by the game itself. Try disabling the Geo-Filter before booting up the game and seeing what it says then. A VPN would make it harder to have open ports if anything.

Gave PS4 A Static IP Put It into DMZ , removed it from  Geo-Filter and got the Same issues, Router Shows UPnP ports being opened but game says otherwise. BO4 Says UDP 3074 cant be opened and COD ME just says Moderate.  Maybe there is no solution. 

15 hours ago, ksubi said:

I'll try that but what do you mean there could be a problem with the router? I see that the console opens the ports through UPnP but the game will still say moderate and Black Ops 4 Say that 3074 cant be opened. I also seen something about VPNs being able to open ports. 

What I was suggesting was putting your console's IP into the DMZ of the XR500. We could use that to test whether the problem can be solved on the XR500 or not.