Daily Internet Disconnections - fix (it works for me)

okay so.... I hope i haven't "jumped the gun" with this but....  I have had no Internet disconnections since Saturday after i unticked this box ......!

I know its only 3 days later but given that the XR500 was losing internet connections at least once per day, this is looking quite positive!

I would ask anyone who is having daily Internet disconnections to try this just so see what happens, it may or may not work for you but seems to for me, at least for now.....

LOL! - to quote myself from an earlier post.... "the more boxes that are ticked on this router, the more it wants to fail"......!!  Seems I was right....

disconnect1.jpg

I unchecked this the first week of owning this router because I was doing some research that suggested to not use this feature.  I totally forgot about this until I saw your post good find.

19 hours ago, Bmann said:

I unchecked this the first week of owning this router because I was doing some research that suggested to not use this feature.  I totally forgot about this until I saw your post good find.

LOL

same here! I vaguely remebered seeing something about it too, but since it wasnt an issue on firmware .24 hotfix, i forgot all about it. Wireless setting was the one place i didnt look at to resolve the drop-outs.....

seems now that we've "unticked" most of the boxes on this router, its now just as functional (or less) than an old Bt Homehub 1 ... LOL!! 

Guest Killhippie

5G has more bandwidth but also more channels hence less interference, but since it is a higher frequency it will travel less far and get blocked by things. The PS4 later models have wifi 5 which is much better if you have  to use wifi. Also for things like  streaming it carries more data and its faster too. This all changes a with wifi 6 though. As of now you have 11 channels with wifi 5 on 2.4ghz and only 1-6-and 11 don't overlap.I seem to remember you get 23-24 non-overlapping 20MHz channels with 5Ghz and then you have all the DFS ones that can go into radar territory, but still thats a lot more than 2.4Ghz. The two links below are worth a read. I get 5Ghz across my whole bungalow and its not small. The higher your router is and the more central to your home the better the signal. The number of people I have known that put their routers in cabinets with no ventilation, behind soft furnishings and wonder why they have a cr@p signal because they think routers look ugly (most do) always amazes me.

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-1

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-2

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

5G has more bandwidth but also more channels hence less interference, but since it is a higher frequency it will travel less far and get blocked by things. The PS4 later models have wifi 5 which is much better if you have  to use wifi. Also for things like  streaming it carries more data and its faster too. This all changes a with wifi 6 though. As of now you have 11 channels with wifi 5 on 2.4ghz and only 1-6-and 11 don't overlap.I seem to remember you get 23-24 non-overlapping 20MHz channels with 5Ghz and then you have all the DFS ones that can go into radar territory, but still thats a lot more than 2.4Ghz. The two links below are worth a read. I get 5Ghz across my whole bungalow and its not small. The higher your router is and the more central to your home the better the signal. The number of people I have known that put their routers in cabinets with no ventilation, behind soft furnishings and wonder why they have a cr@p signal because they think routers look ugly (most do) always amazes me.

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-1

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-2

Yea.... but why does ticking that little box break the routers internet Connection  ...?

is this a Netgear hardware fault or a DumaOS fault....?

...either way, it needs fixed .....

2 hours ago, xlr8r said:

Yea.... but why does ticking that little box break the routers internet Connection  ...?

It's definitely a problem with the Netgear portion of the firmware but yes it definitely needs fixing.

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, xlr8r said:

Hi xlr8r, I was replying to Alex about different bands, and why 5Ghz can be better in certain circumstances. As to your discovery about smart connect that's Netgears settings, I've never used it I like to place certain devices on 5Ghz like my smart TV and Sky Box for the greater bandwidth and less interference, and things like printers I leave on 2.4Ghz, basically things that don't need much bandwidth . I have my smartphone on 5Ghz and my iPad on 5Ghz too. As to why that does that setting does that I have no idea, in theory it should not effect WAN as its a Wi-Fi setting, it weird to say the least.

Its a coding bug, and as you say the more ticks in boxes on the XR500 the more it seems to play up. I'm guessing as a power user you found a oddity, one that needs reporting to Netgear. Seriously I wish they would stop just adding new lines of code to their routers while leaving the older ones, if you look in the routers GPL code base it still has code for Streamboost from the R7800 which it technically is with a few changes. Basically Netgear just leave old code with a dead end like Streamboost and add new code without removing the old stuff at all, and as time goes on its becomes a real mess. Hopefully Netduma have passed this oddity back to Netgear to look at.
*Just seen Alex's post so I guess that's been done :)