For those of you wondering on monitors?

purpleandgold33

Sorry to roast your clip but a few things:

You really need to be specfic about more things.

One is resolution. PC player or console player. Console, do you want to go with 4K or 1080P. PS4 does 1080P, PS4 Pro can do 1080P and 4K but rendering isn't done on 4K it's upscaled. Not every console suppors 1440P (I believe XBox does though) and it will make your image quality very bad when you display 1080P on a 1440P screen (half pixels). You should always try to stick with native input resolution. Or a whole scale up. Like 1080P on a 4K screen works since 1 pixel on a 4K screen just becomes 2x2 pixel. But for 1440P that would be 1.5x1.5 and that gives a blurry vision.

Like on consoles, the 1ms bit is not that important. It has nothing to do with input lag, it's merely the pixel response, or better said the time it takes for a pixel to change color. Console runs on 60Hz, so the time between frames is 16.6ms. You cannot achieve 1ms input lag for that matter. If you look at various sources the input lag for 1080P at 60 Hz is generally in the 8-9ms range, that's because it's right in the middle of this 16.6ms bracket. Just the average of measurements. Monitors that achieve lower input lag times (which is possible!) generally achieve this at higher refresh rates, 144Hz-240Hz etc.

I have Acer ED273 curved screen, VA panel 4ms with input lag quoted at 13ms and a ASUS VG278QR screen 0.5ms response time, input lag 8-9ms TN panel. And really there is no difference when playing on either when it comes to input lag. It's just that the Asus screen has much better colors, but TN is already outdated (but the fastest when it comes to pixel response) when compared to IPS panels.

So really you don't need to spend mega bucks on a monitor for a console. Any 24-27" that displays 1080P by 60Hz will basicly do. Just search for the model number and input lag but especially in 1080P resolution and game mode on most monitors are in the 8-10ms range nowadays. The 'gaming' brand just means extra features like a crosshair on screen and bla bla. You could probably buy something for $200 nowadays being able to do 1080P @ 60Hz with minimal input lag.

Also, there is a difference between 1080P and 4K on many screens, they different input lag values simply because going from 1080P to 4K gives a much higher datarate and some screens need more time to process this. Input lag times for screens are often quoted at native resolution especially TVs. At work we play at Samsung 65" 4K TV's and PS4 Pro's and the one I usually use is set to game mode + 1080P and really input lag is nonexistent on that, but if you turn the PS4 to 4K mode it's definitly noticable.

When you go to PC gaming it becomes a bit more critical as they have the hardware to push screens to their limits. For example at 144Hz or 240Hz, it does matter if the screen has a 1 or 2 or 4ms pixel response time since now you're only talking a few ms between frames. But I don't think you can actually find screens with those refresh rates still using pixel response times above 1ms.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Sorry to roast your clip but a few things:

You really need to be specfic about more things.

One is resolution. PC player or console player. Console, do you want to go with 4K or 1080P. PS4 does 1080P, PS4 Pro can do 1080P and 4K but rendering isn't done on 4K it's upscaled. Not every console suppors 1440P (I believe XBox does though) and it will make your image quality very bad when you display 1080P on a 1440P screen (half pixels). You should always try to stick with native input resolution. Or a whole scale up. Like 1080P on a 4K screen works since 1 pixel on a 4K screen just becomes 2x2 pixel. But for 1440P that would be 1.5x1.5 and that gives a blurry vision.

Like on consoles, the 1ms bit is not that important. It has nothing to do with input lag, it's merely the pixel response, or better said the time it takes for a pixel to change color. Console runs on 60Hz, so the time between frames is 16.6ms. You cannot achieve 1ms input lag for that matter. If you look at various sources the input lag for 1080P at 60 Hz is generally in the 8-9ms range, that's because it's right in the middle of this 16.6ms bracket. Just the average of measurements. Monitors that achieve lower input lag times (which is possible!) generally achieve this at higher refresh rates, 144Hz-240Hz etc.

I have Acer ED273 curved screen, VA panel 4ms with input lag quoted at 13ms and a ASUS VG278QR screen 0.5ms response time, input lag 8-9ms TN panel. And really there is no difference when playing on either when it comes to input lag. It's just that the Asus screen has much better colors, but TN is already outdated (but the fastest when it comes to pixel response) when compared to IPS panels.

So really you don't need to spend mega bucks on a monitor for a console. Any 24-27" that displays 1080P by 60Hz will basicly do. Just search for the model number and input lag but especially in 1080P resolution and game mode on most monitors are in the 8-10ms range nowadays. The 'gaming' brand just means extra features like a crosshair on screen and bla bla. You could probably buy something for $200 nowadays being able to do 1080P @ 60Hz with minimal input lag.

Also, there is a difference between 1080P and 4K on many screens, they different input lag values simply because going from 1080P to 4K gives a much higher datarate and some screens need more time to process this. Input lag times for screens are often quoted at native resolution especially TVs. At work we play at Samsung 65" 4K TV's and PS4 Pro's and the one I usually use is set to game mode + 1080P and really input lag is nonexistent on that, but if you turn the PS4 to 4K mode it's definitly noticable.

When you go to PC gaming it becomes a bit more critical as they have the hardware to push screens to their limits. For example at 144Hz or 240Hz, it does matter if the screen has a 1 or 2 or 4ms pixel response time since now you're only talking a few ms between frames. But I don't think you can actually find screens with those refresh rates still using pixel response times above 1ms.

Bert no one cares to go that in depth. Basically a 1 ms monitor is the best. I don't pc gaming so I don't care. Monitors are basically all made the same. 60hz is all that matters on console cause thats all the faster the refresh is. So if you bought a monitor with a refresh faster than that is merely pointless. Like I said at the start of the vid I was keeping it short and sweet.