How can I prevent this from happening?

You need to disable fast search, that is why you’ve connected to a higher ping server.

If your base ping is 12-14 then you need to set ping assist value to higher than your base ping for it to work correctly, setting it to 5ms when your base ping is 12-14ms won’t work

you can read about ping assist here:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

54 minutes ago, OverTheReminds said:

Without fast research I can't find games at all, that's why I selected it.

What value do you have ping assist set to when you disable fast search? What game are you trying to play?

• 3 weeks later...

When I go for fast research, I usually look for a ping between 22 and 25. When it goes higher, people start absorbing bullets like sponges, and also I've been in servers with 14-16 ms ping so it is definitely possible. 

I'm trying to play mainly CoD WWII.

The problem is still there anyways. Today I tried to set the ping to 17ms with fast research, and I got put in a 50ms ping server...

• Administrators

Disable fast search and put ping assist at 30ms. That should prevent you getting games much higher than your PA ping. It's also worth checking what your base ping is via speedtest.net when nothing is happening on the network and then adding 10-20ms on top of that to give you an idea of what the minimum ping you could get is.