Congestion control fails

Hello, i don´t know if i got it wrong or not....i have this problem. 

In the section "congestion control" i thought if i throttle the Download and upload to 10% and give my PS4 95% of the bandwhith my Gaming speed would be nice or good or at least acceptable......

But its just the opposite way....if i make Download and Upload on 10% the gaming is horrible...its lagging like never before....just a catastrophe!!!!  what is congestion control good for??? That makes no sence or did i get something extremely wrong??? 

Thank you for your help

many regards

• Administrators

Hey there, I don't know what your speeds are to start with but putting anti-flood to 10% is way over the top and as you found has hindered you. I'd recommend 70% for the download and upload sliders and then maybe around 80% to your PS4. Let us know how you get on with that :)

Here is the information about setting up congestion control

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_settings&s[]=congestion&s[]=control

It is recommended you set the sliders to 70% when gaming.

Hello, Thank you for your help. I read this Information already. But i didn´t understand the "theory" and the "sence" of the congestion control. My Thoughts: when you throttle the Internet speed for other devices to 10% or less, you should have more speed for the PS4! But thats not the fact. Throttling the speed of other devices does not increase the PS4 gaming speed! It throttles the PS4 Speed also. And i don´t know why 70% is a good amount?! What is the logically reason for that?! I´ll try 70% Download & Upload speed and set the bandwidth for PS4 on 80% and my PC on 20%...but why is 99% PS4 and 1% PC not better for my gaming? When i use the PS4 i don´t need the PC to have any bandwidth??? :huh:

I hope you understand my problem/query! I want to understand the functionality of the congestion control panel!! 

Hey there, I don't know what your speeds are to start with but putting anti-flood to 10% is way over the top and as you found has hindered you. I'd recommend 70% for the download and upload sliders and then maybe around 80% to your PS4. Let us know how you get on with that :)

My Speed: 

VDSL with AVM Fritzbox 7490 (newest FW) 50Mbit/s Download-speed, 10Mbits/s Upload-speed. The NetDuma is pluged into the main router (Fritzbox) and its on DMZ, and all the ports fpr PS4 are opened for the NetDuma R1 IP. My Ping: Internet Ping-Test 18-22 Sec., With NetDuma R1 Ping-Test: 25 Sec. DNS is the GoogleDNS (8.8.4.4.) 

any other Information that is required?? 

• Netduma Staff

Hello, Thank you for your help. I read this Information already. But i didn´t understand the "theory" and the "sence" of the congestion control. My Thoughts: when you throttle the Internet speed for other devices to 10% or less, you should have more speed for the PS4! But thats not the fact. Throttling the speed of other devices does not increase the PS4 gaming speed! It throttles the PS4 Speed also. And i don´t know why 70% is a good amount?! What is the logically reason for that?! I´ll try 70% Download & Upload speed and set the bandwidth for PS4 on 80% and my PC on 20%...but why is 99% PS4 and 1% PC not better for my gaming? When i use the PS4 i don´t need the PC to have any bandwidth???  :huh:

I hope you understand my problem/query! I want to understand the functionality of the congestion control panel!! 

When you set congestion control, you are capping the network at the percentage that you have set. This means no local congestion. The reason 70% is chosen is written here :) It basically just means that you have enough bandwidth left over to stop your line becoming saturated which means no queuing. Queuing = more ping = bad.

You can set bandwidth to each device specifically using the device prioritisation but this only does upload bandwidth.

Archived