Xr500 Issue

Not sure where to go with this, or if my XR500 is still working but.

Last night I had major issues with my router and my connection, at first I thought it was my internet connection then I worked out it was the XR500.

I keep getting DNS errors with the router, it started in my Sons room, then moved to my xbox and pc. They would not connect to the router, I'm using power line adaptors, but normally if I just reset them

the internet works again, but not in this case. It got to the point where my computer and xbox wouldn't connect at all.

Wifi devices would connect though, so I reset all the powerline plugs again and still nothing. I tried to log into the router via my phone, even though the internet was working via the phone I could not log into the router settings, every time I tried to go into setting page, it would just take me to the netgear home page, which told me I'm not connected to the router?

So I factory reset the router, still couldn't connect to it after that. At this point I was fuming and ready to smash some thing, so I pulled out an old TP link router, set it up bang on the internet straight away no issues. So I went back to the XR500, it would now connect to my pc? So set it all up again, got every thing working to how I had my setting, thought its all sorted.

Got up this morning, its all off again, nothing will connect via the XR500, phone won't connect to the log in page, put the TP link back in, works straight away...............

Has my XR500 died? 

I tried a factory reset, but it wouldn't connect at first, once I linked up the TP link and got that to connect, I then tried the XR500 again, it then worked.

Odd's IP's ? 80. or 51. - But the devices where given 192. Will need to double check, as it was getting late on by the time I'd got some where with it.

I'm just wondering if my lad has done some thing to the network, he has an old net gear nighthawk in his room, it was set up to act as switch, but I've just had a thought that its some how gone back to router mode and has conflicted the network (or he has done some thing to it). He's also 100% sure that the internet in, needs to go into the WAN port, which I told him isn't the case and it just needs to go into a normal port, as its only being used as a switch. 

I'm going to take that router out of the setup. As when I got things working again, I had turned that router off as he was in bed. So it could just be that.

I'm hoping that its just this other router thats caused the issue.

Regarding IPs, I’m most interested in the subnet, so the third number. If it’s x.x.1.x then we’ll know that the router is assigning IPs. Anything else would suggest the modem is assigning instead.

You’re correct that the network needs to go into the LAN port of your son's Nighthawk. If his Nighthawk is doing stuff, I’d suggest changing your XR500s IP so that the subnet is different and it won’t collide with your son's Nighthawk.

Change your XR500’s IP to 192.168.33.1 and see what happens. By the way I chose 33 at random but choose whatever you like as long as it’s not 0 or 1...