Trying to use XR500 as base station with R6220 as extender

as suggested in the title, i have been trying to extend the range of my XR500 because of some dead spots in the house. I have tried to configure the R6220 as per https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater but I cant seem to find any settings in dumaOS that helps me to enable bridging. 

Please help!

You don't enable any bridging on the XR router. XR routers don't support wireless bridging. 

You need to see if the R6220 router supports repeater mode. Check it's user manual for this. The R6 series is a older router thus is wifi may not be the same or have the same rating. You should look into a EX7700 or EX8000 for use to help extend wifi coverage with the XR500 as these models are more suited to use with the XR500. I have two EX7700s connected to my XR450. Great coverage and performance.

Just to chip in that I use 2 EX8000 extenders and they work great. No real issues apart from one where if I reboot the router and the router tenders are left on they connect to each other. They need a function like the Orbi where they can be told to connect to router only. 

Something you might bring up to NG to see if they can fix that. My EX7700 don't connect to each other. That I know of. Sounds like NG could maybe make a change in EX FW to wait for the main router to come back online before they attempt other connections. Possible this maybe a side effect of having more than 1 EX on the same SSID as well. 🙄

Ah ok. Well I suppose we can live with it. One thing I try to do a make a habit of rebooting any EX right before or after the XR if it's in the process of rebooting. This helps to make sure the EX is connected to the XR wifi. I presume if your not at home and the XR fails then the EX would need to be manually booted. 😝

Haha what I do is either run from one side of the property to the other when I turn them on or I log in to them on a split screen on the iPad  and reboot at the same time. Depends on how fit I feel lol. 

One of them has my Arlo camera system attached, I’m having real issues with Arlo it’s just not detecting movement close up at times but at least this way the siren is not in my sitting room 😊

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

As has been mentioned, the XR500 doesn't support any type of bridge mode. If you wanted it to keep the same SSID then using extenders as suggested would do this. Otherwise you could put the R6220 in AP mode and connect to it as a separate WiFi.